• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

Rate this topic

Hockey hits and football hits are a bit different.

Hockey its mainly shoulder to shoulder or something close

Football you have 250 + lbs jumping on you while running full speed.

I remember reading a study done at some ivy league school where they proved that the force of hits delivered by 13 year old hockey players matched that of the force delivered by college football players.

I know that's really vague since I read it 3 or 4 years ago and don't remember a lot of the details but still pretty believable. I remember back in high school I got tagged with a couple hits that felt like I ran into a brick wall.

I remember reading a study done at some ivy league school where they proved that the force of hits delivered by 13 year old hockey players matched that of the force delivered by college football players.

I know that's really vague since I read it 3 or 4 years ago and don't remember a lot of the details but still pretty believable. I remember back in high school I got tagged with a couple hits that felt like I ran into a brick wall.

Never would have guessed that.

Hockey hits and football hits are a bit different.

Hockey its mainly shoulder to shoulder or something close

Football you have 250 + lbs jumping on you while running full speed.

But in the NHL you have 215+ lbs skating towards you at 30+ mph

Football players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

Edited by dallas27

Football players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

Ehh I really think you are not giving enough credit to football players.

Football is a much more Anaerobic sport with more physical contact on average throughout a game. Where as singular hits might be harder in the NHL just due to the speed, I'd certainly not argue it is a tougher game. The collisions in football happen much more often, and are not that much different.

Nevermind that Chad Johnson and T.O. answered this question, when they just stretch the field a very rarely run crossing routes. I wouldn't judge a game based on a couple players that exagerrate injuries anyways, I could easily link some of Riberio's perfomances.

Football and Hockey are great physical sports, I don't know if I'd consider either one tougher than the other...

Edited by Carman

Another thing is football you have people grabbing and wrapping you up which leads to twisted ligaments and such. Football you also see guys getting hit by multiple players and they can also be put into very prone areas like jumping to retrieve balls. Football players seem to be more reckless with all the helmet to helmet, horse collar tackles and face mask. Id personally would rather take a hit from kronwall then have two warren sapp sized linemen jump on top of me.

Edit: spelling

Edited by pockets

Another thing is your position. Football has kickers and punters who play seemingly forever but on the other hand most running backs are only great for about 8 years before they get to banged up

I wasn't aware that Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco (what a douchebag name) had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. Interesting.

Up next, Pavel Datsyuk on why the tuck rule singlehandedly gave the Patriots a championship.

I wasn't aware that Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco (what a douchebag name) had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. Interesting.

Up next, Pavel Datsyuk on why the tuck rule singlehandedly gave the Patriots a championship.

i laughed.

Its really hard to say. I dont want to get blasted while catching a football while going on a slant route, and i'd also hate to be nailed on an open ice check w/ my head down.

Both would make me cry for my mommy.

Football is much more violent than hockey. The day a hockey player can fold his arms back, launch himself from his feet and lead with his helmet to the head area then it's like football. Hockey players are a tough breed but the beating they take doesn't compare to a football player.

You have to remember the NFL went through a s*** storm last week so most players are trying to put a better spin on the hitting.

Edited by softshoes

Hockey hits hurt more and hockey players are tougher, but i dk about the force of a 400lb turkey gobbler with muscle falling on you being less than a hockey hit. That being said, guys like stevens and sutton probably win the argument for hockey, they have the size of football players but are on ice.

Edited by jollymania

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Some of these posts are hilarious. Anyone with a strong stance to either side, whether it be for hockey or football, who hasn't played both at a high level have no room to spout anectdotal evidence. Your personal experiance does not reflect how hard pros far better than you hit. In my mind, it'd most probably be football on average (yes there are a lot of weak wrap up tackles, but there are a lot of weaker hits in hockey games every game too), but this really isn't something you can generalize. Should be taken on a case by case basis obviously.

I highly doubt that you would either.

I never thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

I never thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

I never thought that people who never shut the f*** up about their dumb opinions knew s*** about s***, and you continuously proved me right.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Case by case basis. WAY too many variables to actually make a descision either way. I don't care who you are, unless you have played both sports in a pro setting, your anecdotal evidence is useless and biased. Football has a lot of weak wrap up hits, but not every hockey hit, is a Kronwall meets Havlat, and us as wing's fans should know that better than anyone.

I'm sorry, but you either flat out just made that up or are at the very least misconstruing the point made by generalizing them as "13 year old players" vs "college football players", thus missing the whole point. Something like that may have been studied, but without seeing the size of the said "13 year olds" and the type of collision the "college football players" are throwing, what you posted is essentially useless fan talk. I'm sure a good tripple a 13 year old player can board a guy harder than a defensive linemen can wrap up a quarterback, but there is absoloutly no way that the hardest hits the average 13 year old throws is equal to that of a safetey smoking an unsuspecting reciever.

Hockey hits hurt more and hockey players are tougher, but i dk about the force of a 400lb turkey gobbler with muscle falling on you being less than a hockey hit. That being said, guys like stevens and sutton probably win the argument for hockey, they have the size of football players but are on ice.

Of saftey's and corner's maybe. Of the 6'1 250 sub-10% bodyfat of Ray Lewis no ******* way.

Never would have guessed that.

Considering it was either completely fabricated or grossly misconstrued, I can see why.

But in the NHL you have 215+ lbs skating towards you at 30+ mphFootball players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

30 MPH? Really? For an average hit? :rolleyes:

Entirely way too subjective and needs to be viewed on a case-by-case basis of hard hits.

Both sports are tough in their own ways and anybody dogging on either sport or their athletes in general are acting pretty obnoxious.

Is it too obvious to point out that football players only play, at most,17-20 games a year and only once a week? I'm pretty sure the average nfl'er takes way more of a beating than any nhl'er.

But, the question was "who hits harder". I don't know. I do remember whe mike sellers played in winnipeg (cfl) the paper ran an article stating that taking a hit from the the 280 fullback was equivalent to jumping out of a three story building. ouch.

Sure, football players are considerably larger, but to understand force you've gotta know how to calculate it. I'm not going to go into that here, but in short, the greater speed is going to do more than the greater weight.

Since we're assuming hard hits here, we're going to assume open ice hits in hockey vs dead on hits in football. We're also going to assume that both hits have solid, direct contact.

A 215 lb hockey player hitting another hockey player at 23 mph hits with just over 10,000 newtons of force.

A 260 lb football player hitting another football player at 18 mph (18 mph is a rather fast speed for a 260 lb football player) hits with about 7,500 newtons.

Keep in mind that these speed numbers are being very generous to the football player. The difference in speed from the average open ice hockey hit compared to a football hit is greater than 5 mph. I've seen material suggesting that the average hockey hit is 1.5 to 2 times as hard as the average football hit.

That's not to say football players are weak, either, because 7500 newtons... well, imaging having a 1700 lb draft horse lying on you. Ouch.