Photo
- - - - -

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

I never thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

I never thought that people who never shut the f*** up about their dumb opinions knew s*** about s***, and you continuously proved me right.
*this space for rent*

#22 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:03 PM

Case by case basis. WAY too many variables to actually make a descision either way. I don't care who you are, unless you have played both sports in a pro setting, your anecdotal evidence is useless and biased. Football has a lot of weak wrap up hits, but not every hockey hit, is a Kronwall meets Havlat, and us as wing's fans should know that better than anyone.

I remember reading a study done at some ivy league school where they proved that the force of hits delivered by 13 year old hockey players matched that of the force delivered by college football players.
I know that's really vague since I read it 3 or 4 years ago and don't remember a lot of the details but still pretty believable. I remember back in high school I got tagged with a couple hits that felt like I ran into a brick wall.

I'm sorry, but you either flat out just made that up or are at the very least misconstruing the point made by generalizing them as "13 year old players" vs "college football players", thus missing the whole point. Something like that may have been studied, but without seeing the size of the said "13 year olds" and the type of collision the "college football players" are throwing, what you posted is essentially useless fan talk. I'm sure a good tripple a 13 year old player can board a guy harder than a defensive linemen can wrap up a quarterback, but there is absoloutly no way that the hardest hits the average 13 year old throws is equal to that of a safetey smoking an unsuspecting reciever.

Hockey hits hurt more and hockey players are tougher, but i dk about the force of a 400lb turkey gobbler with muscle falling on you being less than a hockey hit. That being said, guys like stevens and sutton probably win the argument for hockey, they have the size of football players but are on ice.

Of saftey's and corner's maybe. Of the 6'1 250 sub-10% bodyfat of Ray Lewis nof****** way.

Never would have guessed that.

Considering it was either completely fabricated or grossly misconstrued, I can see why.

But in the NHL you have 215+ lbs skating towards you at 30+ mphFootball players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

30 MPH? Really? For an average hit? :rolleyes:
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#23 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

Entirely way too subjective and needs to be viewed on a case-by-case basis of hard hits.

Both sports are tough in their own ways and anybody dogging on either sport or their athletes in general are acting pretty obnoxious.

#24 HelmFan

HelmFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:06 AM

Is it too obvious to point out that football players only play, at most,17-20 games a year and only once a week? I'm pretty sure the average nfl'er takes way more of a beating than any nhl'er.

But, the question was "who hits harder". I don't know. I do remember whe mike sellers played in winnipeg (cfl) the paper ran an article stating that taking a hit from the the 280 fullback was equivalent to jumping out of a three story building. ouch.

#25 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:05 AM

Sure, football players are considerably larger, but to understand force you've gotta know how to calculate it. I'm not going to go into that here, but in short, the greater speed is going to do more than the greater weight.

Since we're assuming hard hits here, we're going to assume open ice hits in hockey vs dead on hits in football. We're also going to assume that both hits have solid, direct contact.

A 215 lb hockey player hitting another hockey player at 23 mph hits with just over 10,000 newtons of force.

A 260 lb football player hitting another football player at 18 mph (18 mph is a rather fast speed for a 260 lb football player) hits with about 7,500 newtons.

Keep in mind that these speed numbers are being very generous to the football player. The difference in speed from the average open ice hockey hit compared to a football hit is greater than 5 mph. I've seen material suggesting that the average hockey hit is 1.5 to 2 times as hard as the average football hit.

That's not to say football players are weak, either, because 7500 newtons... well, imaging having a 1700 lb draft horse lying on you. Ouch.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#26 saven

saven

Rookie

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:16 AM

well if your talking force it would be easy to figure it out, since force(f) = mass(m)acceleration(a) so f=ma. Where a football players mass might be more, a hockey players acceleration is greater. It is that acceleration squares mass so the (a) side of equation is the one that has the greater impact on force (f) and by that we could assume that hits in hockey would have greater force over all but of course each hit has it own set of variables. just my 2 cents

edit: grammar

Edited by saven, 25 October 2010 - 04:18 AM.

In explanation of my avatar: for those who understand no explanation is necessary, for those who don't google federko.

#27 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:34 AM

listen you can take whatever T.O and that cinco fruit loop say and believe the exact opposite. Those two are donkeys

Dang. I agreed with them when they said hockey. Now I'm wrong. Drat.

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:00 AM

Is it too obvious to point out that football players only play, at most,17-20 games a year and only once a week? I'm pretty sure the average nfl'er takes way more of a beating than any nhl'er.

But, the question was "who hits harder". I don't know. I do remember whe mike sellers played in winnipeg (cfl) the paper ran an article stating that taking a hit from the the 280 fullback was equivalent to jumping out of a three story building. ouch.

The Stars had a petty nice marketing gimmick with that a few years back with a billboard that was something along the lines of, "One game a week? Does the N in NFL stand for Nancy?"

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

The San Jose Exploratorium's web page even has an app to do the math for you if you want to do force calculations:

http://www.explorato.../checking2.html

Granted, it's about ten years old so their sample player list is a bit funny/out of date, but the numbers get impressive because skating is inherently faster than running is.

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

How about rugby?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#31 CrabCZ

CrabCZ

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

kinetic_energy = (1/2)mass x velocity²

Hockey hits have potential to be extremely hard, especialy if it's a front hit where the velocities and masses of both players combine. The difference is that in football the hitting rules are not that strict and the sport is based on them.

The ultimate sport would be football on skates.

Edited by CrabCZ, 25 October 2010 - 09:19 AM.

#32 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

You can skate faster then you can run so the hits should be harder. It doesn't matter who is tougher or who is stronger. Higher velocity means more momentum.

#33 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

But in the NHL you have 215+ lbs skating towards you at 30+ mph

Football players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

This is fact. The faster two opponents come together, the harder the hit. I'm guessing that has to do with natural law. :rolleyes:

The other thing I've never understood are people who say they don't like hockey because it's so violent. These same people who've responded this way do enjoy football - where there can be anywhere from five to ten violent hits per play? Hello? :blink:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#34 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

The thing with football is that those helmets are weapons. A hockey helmet is very flimsy piece of plastic. Most football players hit with their helmet and thats what makes it more violent.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#35 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

The thing with football is that those helmets are weapons. A hockey helmet is very flimsy piece of plastic. Most football players hit with their helmet and thats what makes it more violent.

But you also have to consider that the flimsy piece of plastic doesn't offer near the protection from a hit as a football helmet does.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#36 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

But you also have to consider that the flimsy piece of plastic doesn't offer near the protection from a hit as a football helmet does.

Of course....all I mean is that when you get a helmet to the chest, leg, arm, head from a football helmet it is violent. If hockey players hit with their helmets it would be much worse for the person doing the hitting...they just don't do that. The nature of tackling has players leading with their heads.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#37 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Of course....all I mean is that when you get a helmet to the chest, leg, arm, head from a football helmet it is violent. If hockey players hit with their helmets it would be much worse for the person doing the hitting...they just don't do that. The nature of tackling has players leading with their heads.

I wasn't disagreeing with your statement at all, just merely adding that the helmets also protect from the hits/collisions being so damaging.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#38 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

My issues with NFL football are about the amount of stoppages of play and the ticky tack excessive nanny-like protections that I hope don't come to the NHL as the trend would point to some time down the road. As for which hits are harder, uh, I see a ton of injuries in both sports, so I'm not sure there's any point in finding out such an insignificant technicality.

#39 LarryMurphySpecial

LarryMurphySpecial

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

I never thought that people who never shut the f*** up about their dumb opinions knew s*** about s***, and you continuously proved me right.

:rolleyes:
Awww baseless insults riddled with profanity. Intelligent rubuttal my dear friend, I'm sure the internet maiden you stood up for respects it and will obviously repay you with sexual favors over the internet.

#40 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

My issues with NFL football are about the amount of stoppages of play and the ticky tack excessive nanny-like protections that I hope don't come to the NHL as the trend would point to some time down the road. As for which hits are harder, uh, I see a ton of injuries in both sports, so I'm not sure there's any point in finding out such an insignificant technicality.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison in injuries resulting from hits in both leagues.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 25 October 2010 - 12:09 PM.