• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

Rate this topic

well if your talking force it would be easy to figure it out, since force(f) = mass(m)acceleration(a) so f=ma. Where a football players mass might be more, a hockey players acceleration is greater. It is that acceleration squares mass so the (a) side of equation is the one that has the greater impact on force (f) and by that we could assume that hits in hockey would have greater force over all but of course each hit has it own set of variables. just my 2 cents

edit: grammar

Edited by saven

Is it too obvious to point out that football players only play, at most,17-20 games a year and only once a week? I'm pretty sure the average nfl'er takes way more of a beating than any nhl'er.

But, the question was "who hits harder". I don't know. I do remember whe mike sellers played in winnipeg (cfl) the paper ran an article stating that taking a hit from the the 280 fullback was equivalent to jumping out of a three story building. ouch.

The Stars had a petty nice marketing gimmick with that a few years back with a billboard that was something along the lines of, "One game a week? Does the N in NFL stand for Nancy?"

The San Jose Exploratorium's web page even has an app to do the math for you if you want to do force calculations:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/checking2.html

Granted, it's about ten years old so their sample player list is a bit funny/out of date, but the numbers get impressive because skating is inherently faster than running is.

kinetic_energy = (1/2)mass x velocity²

Hockey hits have potential to be extremely hard, especialy if it's a front hit where the velocities and masses of both players combine. The difference is that in football the hitting rules are not that strict and the sport is based on them.

The ultimate sport would be football on skates.

Edited by CrabCZ

But in the NHL you have 215+ lbs skating towards you at 30+ mph

Football players are ******* anyways. Oh no, you sprained your ankle. Lay on the field for 20 minutes only to get up on your own and walk away. I highly doubt any football player would sacrifice their body to block a 100+ mph slap shot either.

This is fact. The faster two opponents come together, the harder the hit. I'm guessing that has to do with natural law. :rolleyes:

The other thing I've never understood are people who say they don't like hockey because it's so violent. These same people who've responded this way do enjoy football - where there can be anywhere from five to ten violent hits per play? Hello? :blink:

The thing with football is that those helmets are weapons. A hockey helmet is very flimsy piece of plastic. Most football players hit with their helmet and thats what makes it more violent.

But you also have to consider that the flimsy piece of plastic doesn't offer near the protection from a hit as a football helmet does.

But you also have to consider that the flimsy piece of plastic doesn't offer near the protection from a hit as a football helmet does.

Of course....all I mean is that when you get a helmet to the chest, leg, arm, head from a football helmet it is violent. If hockey players hit with their helmets it would be much worse for the person doing the hitting...they just don't do that. The nature of tackling has players leading with their heads.

Of course....all I mean is that when you get a helmet to the chest, leg, arm, head from a football helmet it is violent. If hockey players hit with their helmets it would be much worse for the person doing the hitting...they just don't do that. The nature of tackling has players leading with their heads.

I wasn't disagreeing with your statement at all, just merely adding that the helmets also protect from the hits/collisions being so damaging.

Guest Shoreline

My issues with NFL football are about the amount of stoppages of play and the ticky tack excessive nanny-like protections that I hope don't come to the NHL as the trend would point to some time down the road. As for which hits are harder, uh, I see a ton of injuries in both sports, so I'm not sure there's any point in finding out such an insignificant technicality.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

I never thought that people who never shut the f*** up about their dumb opinions knew s*** about s***, and you continuously proved me right.

:rolleyes:

Awww baseless insults riddled with profanity. Intelligent rubuttal my dear friend, I'm sure the internet maiden you stood up for respects it and will obviously repay you with sexual favors over the internet.

My issues with NFL football are about the amount of stoppages of play and the ticky tack excessive nanny-like protections that I hope don't come to the NHL as the trend would point to some time down the road. As for which hits are harder, uh, I see a ton of injuries in both sports, so I'm not sure there's any point in finding out such an insignificant technicality.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison in injuries resulting from hits in both leagues.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

How about rugby?

Rugby does indeed have some huge hits, but I'm not sure that I'd say that rugby hits are in general 'harder' than hockey or football hits. This is mainly due to the restrictions on them, i.e. not above the shoulder, you have to wrap your arms around them etc.

That said, I think that rugby is a far tougher sport than football (and probably hockey too), but that has more to do with the fact that the players actuall play a full game, don't wear much (if any) padding and take and give a lot of hits over the course of a game. Scrums can be pretty tough too (esp. on the ears), and what can compare to the violence of a really savage ruck?

Awww baseless insults riddled with profanity. Intelligent rubuttal my dear friend, I'm sure the internet maiden you stood up for respects it and will obviously repay you with sexual favors over the internet.

I wasn't aware that a) anyone was standing up for me and b) that I needed someone to stand up for me. I got my big girl panties on, I can handle myself.

Some of these posts are hilarious. Anyone with a strong stance to either side, whether it be for hockey or football, who hasn't played both at a high level have no room to spout anectdotal evidence. Your personal experiance does not reflect how hard pros far better than you hit. In my mind, it'd most probably be football on average (yes there are a lot of weak wrap up tackles, but there are a lot of weaker hits in hockey games every game too), but this really isn't something you can generalize. Should be taken on a case by case basis obviously.

I highly doubt that you would either.

I never thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

If you're here to have our generalized ignorance confirmed, then I'm thinking you need to get a life? I noticed you had an opinion about this thread. Good for you because I believe everyone is allowed to respond any way they wish to (without mod-deleting words of course). Meanwhile, you can't control how people will respond to any thread on this board. And when you suggest they should say something different, or shouldn't respond at all then you need to be ready to take the logical consequences for your unnecessary admonitions. Or like Electro says take the "high" road and don't visit?

:punk: :hockeysmile: :puke:

I think football players on average have harder hits, because it seems that they have more hits where players collide head-on into each other. Those type of hits where two players are traveling into each other on the same axis result in the summation of their vectors, in this case momentum. Most of hockey's hits aren't into each other on the same axis, but rather perpendicular (like checking into the boards) or they are on the same axis but traveling in the same direction, so only the difference in vectors is taken into consideration. However, the open ice hits where two players collide occurs at a faster velocity than football (feet will never compete with skates when talking about speed) so the momentum and thus the hit of the player will carry more force.

I highly doubt that you would either

Having played, what you call high level hockey, as a goalie that's precisely what I did.

Football may be a more violent game but the question is are hockey hits harder than football hits? Yes, I think they are. Again, hockey may not be as violent as football but it doesn't mean a hockey hit can't be harder than a football hit.

In the end, this is sort of like asking if you would rather someone:

1. hit you a couple times a minute with a sledgehammer over the course of 10 minutes (typical football hits), or

2. continuously strike you with a roofer's hammer (normal sustained hockey hits, along the boards etc), and also drop an anvil on you once (lesser occuring open ice hockey hit) over the course of the same 10 minutes.

Either way, it's going to suck and do a lot of damage.