• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

Rate this topic

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Having played, what you call high level hockey, as a goalie that's precisely what I did.

Football may be a more violent game but the question is are hockey hits harder than football hits? Yes, I think they are. Again, hockey may not be as violent as football but it doesn't mean a hockey hit can't be harder than a football hit.

Blocking shots with goalie pads=/= diving into the lane with reduced padding and a real injury to get hurt. Nice try, tubby.

The fact that there are rules for boarding, hitting from behind, charging in hockey pretty much shows that the potential for danger is greater.

Yes, because there are no rules about hitting in the NFL. What a moronic statement.

Pretty simple test. How many people have been paralyzed in each sport over a given number of years. NFL vs. NHL to keep it at the top talent level. While it might not tell you which hit is harder, it tells you which sport you have a better chance of getting seriously injured in. One other test, watch a 50 - 60 year old former football player walk around compared to a hockey player of the same age. Gordie at 82(?) moves around a hell of a lot of former football players 25 years younger do. I think over time the constant pounding of football definitely wins, but this is a hockey forum so I'm sure that I'm wrong about that.

Blocking shots with goalie pads=/= diving into the lane with reduced padding and a real injury to get hurt. Nice try, tubby.

Yes, because there are no rules about hitting in the NFL. What a moronic statement.

:lol:

Sorry champ, I don't remember saying that. Good job putting words in my mouth though.

In today's NHL, the rules and regulations of a player's every move make other leagues look like nothing. Of course the NFL has hitting rules. Are they as strict and overused as the NHL? Nope.

Sorry champ, I don't remember saying that. Good job putting words in my mouth though.

In today's NHL, the rules and regulations of a player's every move make other leagues look like nothing. Of course the NFL has hitting rules. Are they as strict and overused as the NHL? Nope.

Actually since they outlawed any hits head to head, any hits to a quarterback's lower half (thanks Tom Brady), touching a kicker at all, touching a QB at the moment they released the ball, illegal chop blocks, and much more. Strict, yes. Overused, depends on your personal opinion.

Actually since they outlawed any hits head to head, any hits to a quarterback's lower half (thanks Tom Brady), touching a kicker at all, touching a QB at the moment they released the ball, illegal chop blocks, and much more. Strict, yes. Overused, depends on your personal opinion.

The NHL's ninny-like regulations on just about everything you can think of make other leagues like the NFL more appealing to mainstream sports fans. All of the tinsy penalties that singlehandidly change the course and outcome of a game are the reason why so many fans are turned off to the NHL. It's only a matter of time before Bettman bans fighting. Becuase, you know, the fans get up and leave to grab a beer and nachos whenever a fight breaks out.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

The NHL's ninny-like regulations on just about everything you can think of make other leagues like the NFL more appealing to mainstream sports fans. All of the tinsy penalties that singlehandidly change the course and outcome of a game are the reason why so many fans are turned off to the NHL. It's only a matter of time before Bettman bans fighting. Becuase, you know, the fans get up and leave to grab a beer and nachos whenever a fight breaks out.

I think your issue is more with the consistency of penalties called, rather than the actual penalties themselves.

It's funny to see how much people ***** about being over-regulated in terms of physical play in regards to other major North American sports when not only does the NHL have the hardest (perhaps not average, but certainly max potential) hits of all of them, but also is the only one that minimally penalizes fighting to a point where it can be a daily occurrence.

It's funny to see how much people ***** about being over-regulated in terms of physical play in regards to other major North American sports when not only does the NHL have the hardest (perhaps not average, but certainly max potential) hits of all of them, but also is the only one that minimally penalizes fighting to a point where it can be a daily occurrence.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't think fighting is in danger right now. Bettman knows that fighting is the best thing that is unique to hockey and sets it apart from the other sports. You get rid of that, and the league WILL collapse. It will just be soccer on ice with sticks.

The NHL's ninny-like regulations on just about everything you can think of make other leagues like the NFL more appealing to mainstream sports fans. All of the tinsy penalties that singlehandidly change the course and outcome of a game are the reason why so many fans are turned off to the NHL.

I'd far rather have the NHL's penalty system, flaws and all, than the NBA's penalty system which has come to mean that any remotely close game will take about 30-40 minutes of 'real' time to play the last three minutes of the game clock because of the parade of slap and tickle fouls and trips to the fre throw line.

Another thing is football you have people grabbing and wrapping you up which leads to twisted ligaments and such. Football you also see guys getting hit by multiple players and they can also be put into very prone areas like jumping to retrieve balls. Football players seem to be more reckless with all the helmet to helmet, horse collar tackles and face mask. Id personally would rather take a hit from kronwall then have two warren sapp sized linemen jump on top of me.

Edit: spelling

Yeah, football is a really grinding sport. Not only are you getting hit, you're getting twisted, straining against piles of extraordinarily heavy people, etc.

I have no doubt hockey hits are harder. Physical guys skating at high speeds against glass and wood? Yeah, the distance alone leading up to a hit is much greater than in football, I'd say, so the impact would have to be higher in force.

However, the two are really different and I don't think this proves either one is necessarily tougher than the other.

This is an impossible question to answer... however, the average hockey player on average would get hit considerably more often than the average football player in a given season. That's about all we can say conclusively.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

As a fan of both leagues, this is a very arbitrary and subjective statement, especially seeing as how the officiating in the NHL is a joke.

This is an impossible question to answer... however, the average hockey player on average would get hit considerably more often than the average football player in a given season. That's about all we can say conclusively.

Even that is very dependent on football player's posistion or role. NHL may play more games, but there are far more hits in every NFL game, and generally to the same recpient (i.e. backs). These guys get hit at least 10-15 times a game, multiply that by 16 and you have far more than what I would consider average for an NHL player.

Even that is very dependent on football player's posistion or role. NHL may play more games, but there are far more hits in every NFL game, and generally to the same recpient (i.e. backs). These guys get hit at least 10-15 times a game, multiply that by 16 and you have far more than what I would consider average for an NHL player.

Guest Crymson

Ehh I really think you are not giving enough credit to football players.

Football is a much more Anaerobic sport with more physical contact on average throughout a game. Where as singular hits might be harder in the NHL just due to the speed, I'd certainly not argue it is a tougher game. The collisions in football happen much more often, and are not that much different.

Nevermind that Chad Johnson and T.O. answered this question, when they just stretch the field a very rarely run crossing routes. I wouldn't judge a game based on a couple players that exagerrate injuries anyways, I could easily link some of Riberio's perfomances.

Football and Hockey are great physical sports, I don't know if I'd consider either one tougher than the other...

Football players are, for the most part, also guaranteed to be completely broken-bodied after a decade in action. Meanwhile, hockey players often play for two decades.

American Football is for the weak, real men play Rugby. Much more physical game, no lame pads all over you either.

Besides, american football is not real football, they just stole the name.

Edited by Reds4Life

American Football is for the weak, real men play Rugby. Much more physical game, no lame pads all over you either.

Rugby isn't even tough, so that's why they don't need to wear pads.

Football players are superior athletes anyways, and it's a better sport to watch.

Soccer doesn't even count as a physical activity so it doesn't deserve the name.

Football players are, for the most part, also guaranteed to be completely broken-bodied after a decade in action. Meanwhile, hockey players often play for two decades.

Well, that of course depends on the position, so I somewhat agree. You can expect a good 8-10 years out of your runningback before he's completely broken down compared to say a lineman like Kevin Mawae.

Another thing is your position. Football has kickers and punters who play seemingly forever but on the other hand most running backs are only great for about 8 years before they get to banged up

Well, that of course depends on the position, so I somewhat agree. You can expect a good 8-10 years out of your runningback before he's completely broken down compared to say a lineman like Kevin Mawae.

The average career for a running back in the NFL is 3 years.

The average career for a running back in the NFL is 3 years.

Technically, the average runningback's career lasts 2.6 years and the average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. But we all know that this is a lame average statistic since it includes cuts, releases, playing time, injury, whatever else you can think of. If you're a successful starting runningback, barring no major injuries, you should be able to last at least 8 years.

The average career span of an NHL skater and goaltender is a little over 5 years. But just like I said above, this stat includes EVERYTHING. If you're a successful player, whether you're a top line scorer or a pesky grinder, barring a major injury you will see longevity.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

Hockey hits are absolutely harder than football hits.

First off, linemen rarely actually hit anyone. Offensive linemen spend most of their time blocking the opposing team's defense, and the defensive linemen spend most of their time trying to penetrate the offensive line. This is not done through hits, but mostly through what ultimately amounts to a lot of specialized pushing and shoving.

The hardest hit you'll usually see is when a linebacker upends a receiver on a cross route.

I played football and hockey in high school. I was a receiver and defensive back in football, and played both forward and defense in hockey. I can tell you right now that hockey hits are harder; the football players in our area were disproportionately large compared to the hockey players if you compare it to the NHL/NFL, and the hits in hockey were still harder, both at the top and on the average.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hockey hits are absolutely harder than football hits.

First off, linemen rarely actually hit anyone. Offensive linemen spend most of their time blocking the opposing team's defense, and the defensive linemen spend most of their time trying to penetrate the offensive line. This is not done through hits, but mostly through what ultimately amounts to a lot of specialized pushing and shoving.

The hardest hit you'll usually see is when a linebacker upends a receiver on a cross route.

I played football and hockey in high school. I was a receiver and defensive back in football, and played both forward and defense in hockey. I can tell you right now that hockey hits are harder; the football players in our area were disproportionately large compared to the hockey players if you compare it to the NHL/NFL, and the hits in hockey were still harder, both at the top and on the average.

Eva, I normally agree with a lot of your posts, but your anectdotal evidence about "high school" football/hockey really has no place in this discussion. Pro =/= highschool.

Go out there then and stand face to face with a 300 lb lineman and tell me you're not nervous.