Photo
- - - - -

Are hockey hits harder than football hits?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Inever thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

How many goals have you scored at the NHL level?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#42 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

How about rugby?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8v-qZFVYnc&feature=related

Rugby does indeed have some huge hits, but I'm not sure that I'd say that rugby hits are in general 'harder' than hockey or football hits. This is mainly due to the restrictions on them, i.e. not above the shoulder, you have to wrap your arms around them etc.

That said, I think that rugby is a far tougher sport than football (and probably hockey too), but that has more to do with the fact that the players actuall play a full game, don't wear much (if any) padding and take and give a lot of hits over the course of a game. Scrums can be pretty tough too (esp. on the ears), and what can compare to the violence of a really savage ruck?
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#43 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

:rolleyes:
Awww baseless insults riddled with profanity. Intelligent rubuttal my dear friend, I'm sure the internet maiden you stood up for respects it and will obviously repay you with sexual favors over the internet.

I wasn't aware that a) anyone was standing up for me and b) that I needed someone to stand up for me. I got my big girl panties on, I can handle myself.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#44 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Some of these posts are hilarious. Anyone with a strong stance to either side, whether it be for hockey or football, who hasn't played both at a high level have no room to spout anectdotal evidence. Your personal experiance does not reflect how hard pros far better than you hit. In my mind, it'd most probably be football on average (yes there are a lot of weak wrap up tackles, but there are a lot of weaker hits in hockey games every game too), but this really isn't something you can generalize. Should be taken on a case by case basis obviously.

I highly doubt that you would either.

I never thought that people who had never played hockey had enough working knowledge of hockey fundamentals to wax philosophic about them. This board has continuously proved me right.

If you're here to have our generalized ignorance confirmed, then I'm thinking you need to get a life? I noticed you had an opinion about this thread. Good for you because I believe everyone is allowed to respond any way they wish to (without mod-deleting words of course). Meanwhile, you can't control how people will respond to any thread on this board. And when you suggest they should say something different, or shouldn't respond at all then you need to be ready to take the logical consequences for your unnecessary admonitions. Or like Electro says take the "high" road and don't visit?

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#45 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

:rolleyes:
Awww baseless insults riddled with profanity. Intelligent rubuttal my dear friend, I'm sure the internet maiden you stood up for respects it and will obviously repay you with sexual favors over the internet.

:punk: :hockeysmile: :puke:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#46 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

I think football players on average have harder hits, because it seems that they have more hits where players collide head-on into each other. Those type of hits where two players are traveling into each other on the same axis result in the summation of their vectors, in this case momentum. Most of hockey's hits aren't into each other on the same axis, but rather perpendicular (like checking into the boards) or they are on the same axis but traveling in the same direction, so only the difference in vectors is taken into consideration. However, the open ice hits where two players collide occurs at a faster velocity than football (feet will never compete with skates when talking about speed) so the momentum and thus the hit of the player will carry more force.

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

I highly doubt that you would either

Having played, what you call high level hockey, as a goalie that's precisely what I did.

Football may be a more violent game but the question is are hockey hits harder than football hits? Yes, I think they are. Again, hockey may not be as violent as football but it doesn't mean a hockey hit can't be harder than a football hit.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#49 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

In the end, this is sort of like asking if you would rather someone:

1. hit you a couple times a minute with a sledgehammer over the course of 10 minutes (typical football hits), or

2. continuously strike you with a roofer's hammer (normal sustained hockey hits, along the boards etc), and also drop an anvil on you once (lesser occuring open ice hockey hit) over the course of the same 10 minutes.

Either way, it's going to suck and do a lot of damage.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

The fact that there are rules for boarding, hitting from behind, charging in hockey pretty much shows that the potential for danger is greater.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 25 October 2010 - 08:38 PM.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#51 LarryMurphySpecial

LarryMurphySpecial

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

Having played, what you call high level hockey, as a goalie that's precisely what I did.

Football may be a more violent game but the question is are hockey hits harder than football hits? Yes, I think they are. Again, hockey may not be as violent as football but it doesn't mean a hockey hit can't be harder than a football hit.

Blocking shots with goalie pads=/= diving into the lane with reduced padding and a real injury to get hurt. Nice try, tubby.

The fact that there are rules for boarding, hitting from behind, charging in hockey pretty much shows that the potential for danger is greater.

Yes, because there are no rules about hitting in the NFL. What a moronic statement.

#52 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

Pretty simple test. How many people have been paralyzed in each sport over a given number of years. NFL vs. NHL to keep it at the top talent level. While it might not tell you which hit is harder, it tells you which sport you have a better chance of getting seriously injured in. One other test, watch a 50 - 60 year old former football player walk around compared to a hockey player of the same age. Gordie at 82(?) moves around a hell of a lot of former football players 25 years younger do. I think over time the constant pounding of football definitely wins, but this is a hockey forum so I'm sure that I'm wrong about that.

#53 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Blocking shots with goalie pads=/= diving into the lane with reduced padding and a real injury to get hurt. Nice try, tubby.

Yes, because there are no rules about hitting in the NFL. What a moronic statement.

:lol:

Sorry champ, I don't remember saying that. Good job putting words in my mouth though.

In today's NHL, the rules and regulations of a player's every move make other leagues look like nothing. Of course the NFL has hitting rules. Are they as strict and overused as the NHL? Nope.

#54 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

:lol:

Sorry champ, I don't remember saying that. Good job putting words in my mouth though.

In today's NHL, the rules and regulations of a player's every move make other leagues look like nothing. Of course the NFL has hitting rules. Are they as strict and overused as the NHL? Nope.

Actually since they outlawed any hits head to head, any hits to a quarterback's lower half (thanks Tom Brady), touching a kicker at all, touching a QB at the moment they released the ball, illegal chop blocks, and much more. Strict, yes. Overused, depends on your personal opinion.

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

Actually since they outlawed any hits head to head, any hits to a quarterback's lower half (thanks Tom Brady), touching a kicker at all, touching a QB at the moment they released the ball, illegal chop blocks, and much more. Strict, yes. Overused, depends on your personal opinion.

The NHL's ninny-like regulations on just about everything you can think of make other leagues like the NFL more appealing to mainstream sports fans. All of the tinsy penalties that singlehandidly change the course and outcome of a game are the reason why so many fans are turned off to the NHL. It's only a matter of time before Bettman bans fighting. Becuase, you know, the fans get up and leave to grab a beer and nachos whenever a fight breaks out.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 26 October 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#56 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

The NHL's ninny-like regulations on just about everything you can think of make other leagues like the NFL more appealing to mainstream sports fans. All of the tinsy penalties that singlehandidly change the course and outcome of a game are the reason why so many fans are turned off to the NHL. It's only a matter of time before Bettman bans fighting. Becuase, you know, the fans get up and leave to grab a beer and nachos whenever a fight breaks out.

I think your issue is more with the consistency of penalties called, rather than the actual penalties themselves.

#57 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

It's funny to see how much people ***** about being over-regulated in terms of physical play in regards to other major North American sports when not only does the NHL have the hardest (perhaps not average, but certainly max potential) hits of all of them, but also is the only one that minimally penalizes fighting to a point where it can be a daily occurrence.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

It's funny to see how much people ***** about being over-regulated in terms of physical play in regards to other major North American sports when not only does the NHL have the hardest (perhaps not average, but certainly max potential) hits of all of them, but also is the only one that minimally penalizes fighting to a point where it can be a daily occurrence.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

#59 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't think fighting is in danger right now. Bettman knows that fighting is the best thing that is unique to hockey and sets it apart from the other sports. You get rid of that, and the league WILL collapse. It will just be soccer on ice with sticks.

#60 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

The NHL's ninny-like regulations on just about everything you can think of make other leagues like the NFL more appealing to mainstream sports fans. All of the tinsy penalties that singlehandidly change the course and outcome of a game are the reason why so many fans are turned off to the NHL.

I'd far rather have the NHL's penalty system, flaws and all, than the NBA's penalty system which has come to mean that any remotely close game will take about 30-40 minutes of 'real' time to play the last three minutes of the game clock because of the parade of slap and tickle fouls and trips to the fre throw line.