• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
10 Minute Misconduct

Brendan Smith nails Nylander from behind

Rate this topic

Seems like Smith charged Nylander from behind in a game last night.

Nylander suffered a broken back and neck, however he won't be paralized

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/ahl/article8013091.ab

EDIT: Seems like the hit might have been legal?

Nylander was hurt in the second period of Saturday’s 4-1 loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins. He was checked into the right-wing boards by Griffins’ defenseman Brendan Smith. No penalty was called and the check appeared to be legal.

http://php.democratandchronicle.com/blog/sports2/

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct

That's horrible. I'll withhold judgement until I see it or read about it in detail, but if it's true, Smith may have just moved onto my "piece of s***" list.

I'm assuming that it was just bad luck for Nylander as the article says the hit "appeared to be legal."

Guest mindfly

That's horrible. I'll withhold judgement until I see it or read about it in detail, but if it's true, Smith may have just moved onto my "piece of s***" list.

Come on, bro. We all want our future franchise dmen to have a bit of a mean streak in them, if smith add 20-25lbs of muscle and learn how to defend properly at pro level he will be great, and i'm saying this even though i love nylander and everything he had done for the swedish national team through out the years...

Apparently it was a legal hit. Sometimes players just goes into the board in a awkward and unlucky way which probably was the cause here. :/

Hope he recover well

Would love to see video. seems like everyone is passing judgment on the kid without even knowing what happened. On TSNs report everyone is saying Smith is a goon that doesnt belong in the game but if there wasn't even a penalty called I really doubt it was dirty or even close to a suspendable offense.

Seriously though, Smith has been pretty damn impressive so far this season. Hitting, Scoring and fighting, he's doing it all. Gonna be a good red wing someday

always liked nylander, glad he is ok but his career is probably over.

Smith sure is making a name for himself. like newfy, i was reading the comments at the bottom of the tsn page and everyone thinks this kid is a thug. apparently he also took out oreskovich with an elbow and oreskovich is out with a concussion, probably why he had to fight maxwell.

either way i need to see some video before i make judgment on this hit.

Get better soon Nylander!! Really unfortunate.

With Nylander in control of the puck, Smith delivered a solid hit from behind and Nylander fell into the boards at a somewhat awkward angle. The hit appeared to be legal and no penalty was assessed.

This makes me think Nylander showed his numbers at the last moment, which would be why it could be a hit from behind and legal hit?

Nylander knew immediately that he was seriously hurt. He skated directly to the bench, leaving behind a trail of equipment and poignant words.

Glad to hear he skated away. Hopefully he can play again and go out the right way.

Guest mindfly

Scott Stevens was a dirty son of a ***** as well and hated by many, but if he's on your team you love him and support him, support the kid, kthxbye.

...and at frat parties.

Hehe. But that's just him being aggressive. He could even slewfoot a guy from behind and it'll be ok because he can conduct a post game interview with a smile and look people in the eye like Dan Boyle did. "Wow... He looks me in the eye! Aww he's just a typical rambunctious North American boy. He did no wrong."

Note: I don't really have a point to all that sarcasm it's just that one episode during last year's Olympics came to mind.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Why is Smith a piece of s***? The article says the hit was legal, it was probably just one of those bizarre twists of chance. Horrible for Nylander but it's not as if Smith set out to do that.

Maybe thats why he said he'd withhold judgement until more information came out about the hit? Just maybe?

Being both a Red Wings and Washington Capitals fan, it's sad to see this happen to Nylander. I've seen him play many times when I go to the caps games and he was on loan due to budget reasons, but no one should have to endure hits that even seem "legit".

Nylander's a good fiesty player and it was just money talks that got him shipped off elsewhere.

Guest mindfly

Being both a Red Wings and Washington Capitals fan, it's sad to see this happen to Nylander. I've seen him play many times when I go to the caps games and he was on loan due to budget reasons, but no one should have to endure hits that even seem "legit".

Nylander's a good fiesty player and it was just money talks that got him shipped off elsewhere.

Rather bad management giving him that fat contract at his age at the time...

scary stuff... from the looks of it, it appeared to just be a wrong place, wrong time scenario and bad luck... I hope Nylander makes a quick recovery and hopefully this doesn't make Smith lose any edge... it can really mess with someone's head when they hurt someone that bad...