• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsFanInDC

Hockey Jerseys

Rate this topic

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? As long as someone is happy with their jersey and showing their pride for the Wings - then that's all that matters, isn't it? At the very least, we can all agree that a fake Red Wings jersey looks better than any other authentic jersey in the league. ;)

Before this thing turns into an ugly debate - let's all just take a breath and look at this cat.

9KzPG.gif

The only reason I don't like buying knock off jerseys is that the money doesn't go to the team. Other than that, I am always proud to wear my Red Wings gear, authentic or not. You may have an authentic jersey, but I have a closet full of knock offs that 99% of fans wouldn't know were. I also don't live in Detroit, so nobody down here knows any better, especially when I'm at a Stars game.

On that note, I got most of mine from letshockey.com. Had them 'custom' make this Modano right after he signed so I could wear it to his homecoming at the Stars/Wings game in Oct. It's not perfect, but I think its close enough for $50. I don't have a picture of the crest, but can post one if anybody wants to see it.

IMG_3347_sm.jpg

EDIT: I will add, I do have an Yzerman and Lidstrom that came out of Korea that are pretty bad. Crest is too low and they are small. I don't wear those, but all of mine out of China were A+. My suggestion, find a dealer you like and stick with them.

Edited by rrasco

The only reason I don't like buying knock off jerseys is that the money doesn't go to the team. Other than that, I am always proud to wear my Red Wings gear, authentic or not. You may have an authentic jersey, but I have a closet full of knock offs that 99% of fans wouldn't know were. I also don't live in Detroit, so nobody down here knows any better, especially when I'm at a Stars game.

On that note, I got most of mine from letshockey.com. Had them 'custom' make this Modano right after he signed so I could wear it to his homecoming at the Stars/Wings game in Oct. It's not perfect, but I think its close enough for $50. I don't have a picture of the crest, but can post one if anybody wants to see it.

IMG_3347_sm.jpg

EDIT: I will add, I do have an Yzerman and Lidstrom that came out of Korea that are pretty bad. Crest is too low and they are small. I don't wear those, but all of mine out of China were A+. My suggestion, find a dealer you like and stick with them.

I always figured that it'd be a lot easier to get away with if you lived elsewhere. Glad to see my thoughts were confirmed. My biggest gripe with the Chinese jerseys is that the cut doesn't match the new Reebok style, especially along the bottom. I actually had a Hossa that was fairly passable - especially to casual fans - but the cut bothered me too much so I got rid of it.

Also had a knock of Zetterberg, but it was too small and - while the cut was pretty spot on - the lettering wasn't right. It suffered the same fate.

I found that for me, it's better to just keep my eye out and spend a little more on the real deal. I was able to score a blank replica off Craigslist for $65 and then have it lettered at SportsK. Those deals don't come around too often, though, so I can't knock anyone for going with a knock off. I could never justify spending the money on an authentic or even a replica at retail price.

that is one cute cat.

have you thought of a career in foreign relations?

*bows*

Sportsk has always looked the most legit to me with a pretty good price to go with it. Jerseys are hardly a thing to get all butthurt about. Whatever you spend your $ on to wear during a hockey season is all on you.

That's because SportsK does legit work. Their website might leave something to be desired, but they aren't a knockoff site by any means. Plus, they're based in Michigan - so you're supporting our economy! :)

edit: To reply to HankthaTank.

Edited by Travis

I can't find any retro Probert or Kocur jerseys anywhere. I wouldn't mind a D-Mac one either. Anyone know if they're still available anywhere?

I would try this site:

http://www.customthrowbackjerseys.com/categories/NHL-Hockey-Jerseys-/Detroit-Red-Wings/

As long as you're not going for a Stevie Y 1992 throwback, they should all be pretty legit replicas (the Stevie Y ones have an incorrect Captain's C).

Jerseys pop up all the time on ebay. You can get authentic or replica jerseys at incredible deals, you just have to be diligent with checking everyday. You can setup ebay searches to automatically email you when new jerseys are listede. I've bought most of my jerseys this way, and I've never paid more than $150 for an authentic w/ fight strap.

I know some people are ok with the fake jerseys, and to each their own. I just know friends who have them where the colors ran when they got washed, or the stitching came out after wearing it a few times, and like stated above, the logos and fonts are never right.

SportsK are selling them for $128 right now.

SportsK is where I got my Christmas jersey. (Lidstrom Winter Classic)

They're very committed to using individual letters instead of nameplates and I've yet to hear a negative review.

This is my WC jersey i bought off ebay. I'm assuming its a replica in which someones thrown on a Zetterberg number and nameplate or it could be a complete fake i really don't know. I'm not too concerned either way, however, this thread has got me paranoid about my authentic Yzerman jersey which i bought used years ago on ebay from a dude in Canada (I live in Australia really hard to get decent jerseys from anywhere else). I'd appreciate it if any jersey aficionado's could check my pics out:

WC

http://img413.images...to022medium.jpg

http://img507.images...to023medium.jpg

Yzerman

http://img221.images...to026medium.jpg

http://img401.images...to027medium.jpg

http://img262.images...to028medium.jpg

http://img17.imagesh...to029medium.jpg

(First time i'v posted links let me know if they don't work)

This is my WC jersey i bought off ebay. I'm assuming its a replica in which someones thrown on a Zetterberg number and nameplate or it could be a complete fake i really don't know. I'm not too concerned either way, however, this thread has got me paranoid about my authentic Yzerman jersey which i bought used years ago on ebay from a dude in Canada (I live in Australia really hard to get decent jerseys from anywhere else). I'd appreciate it if any jersey aficionado's could check my pics out:

WC

http://img413.images...to022medium.jpg

http://img507.images...to023medium.jpg

Yzerman

http://img221.images...to026medium.jpg

http://img401.images...to027medium.jpg

http://img262.images...to028medium.jpg

http://img17.imagesh...to029medium.jpg

(First time i'v posted links let me know if they don't work)

Both look 100% legit to me. The WC jersey's that were customized in the factory and sent to stores used nameplates, so I'm assuming thats why yours has one.

The Yzerman jersey is very nice!

question about the winter classic jerseys. do all of your WC jerseys appear that the D, shoulder patchs, and WC patches are glued on and not sewn on? i know typically this is a sign of a knockoff but it all looks pretty legit. it also looks like the poster above has similar glue job on his as well.

also, forgive me for being lazy and not looking through the last 4 pages of this thread, but does sportsk do embroidery on the WC jerseys? mine is blank and i need a little 55 slapped on there. whats the cost?

My WC logos are glued on which is why i thought it was a fake to begin with. Turns out my Yzerman jersey probably is a knock off, apparently the stamp is common on knock offs and the tick doesn't look quite right either. Still works for me though.

question about the winter classic jerseys. do all of your WC jerseys appear that the D, shoulder patchs, and WC patches are glued on and not sewn on? i know typically this is a sign of a knockoff but it all looks pretty legit. it also looks like the poster above has similar glue job on his as well.

also, forgive me for being lazy and not looking through the last 4 pages of this thread, but does sportsk do embroidery on the WC jerseys? mine is blank and i need a little 55 slapped on there. whats the cost?

The replicas have glued on logos and patches, this has been true for a long time now. However, when I had mine customized (I used FanaticU), I asked them to sew stitching around the twill "D" for an few dollars more. Makes the replica look better :)

The authentic winter classics have everything sewn on, just like all other authentics.

Sportsk.com sews all custom lettering, and they do a very good job. I think the cost is around $55 or so.

My WC logos are glued on which is why i thought it was a fake to begin with. Turns out my Yzerman jersey probably is a knock off, apparently the stamp is common on knock offs and the tick doesn't look quite right either. Still works for me though.

Man, if that is fake its probably the most realistic looking fake I've seen.

Edited by ACallToArms

Jerseys pop up all the time on ebay. You can get authentic or replica jerseys at incredible deals, you just have to be diligent with checking everyday. You can setup ebay searches to automatically email you when new jerseys are listede. I've bought most of my jerseys this way, and I've never paid more than $150 for an authentic w/ fight strap.

Exactly. I check as part of my normal browsing every few days. Being that I'm a college student, most of the crazy deals I find I have to pass up - but some are cheap enough that I bite. I just bought one from a guy on Craigslist and am waiting for it to arrive. Here's hoping it's worthy of being posted when it gets here. ;)

ACallToArms, I know you collect jerseys - have you seen the 2004 All Star Game Datsyuk jerseys on eBay? Too rich for my blood, but still a hell of a deal!

Exactly. I check as part of my normal browsing every few days. Being that I'm a college student, most of the crazy deals I find I have to pass up - but some are cheap enough that I bite. I just bought one from a guy on Craigslist and am waiting for it to arrive. Here's hoping it's worthy of being posted when it gets here. ;)

ACallToArms, I know you collect jerseys - have you seen the 2004 All Star Game Datsyuk jerseys on eBay? Too rich for my blood, but still a hell of a deal!

Yup, I've seen them. I bought one around that price early in 2010. Nicest looking all star jersey ever made :cool:

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I shipped off my authentic WC jersey to SportsK to get customized. To me there is no comparison between an authentic and a replica/knockoff. The replicas are a joke and the knockoffs not only look bad, and I mean really bad, but they are illegal and only do harm to the team/NHL.

There is, actually, a comparison, and it doesn't require a picture. $350 > $50. It's ridiculous anybody would be expected to pay more than $100 for an article of clothing. I'm sorry, I love the Wings, but a jersey is not worth half of my mortgage.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

There is, actually, a comparison, and it doesn't require a picture. $350 > $50. It's ridiculous anybody would be expected to pay more than $100 for an article of clothing. I'm sorry, I love the Wings, but a jersey is not worth half of my mortgage.

Unlike your mortgage you're not buying a jersey every month. I think it's ridiculous that someone would spend $50 on something of sub-par quality, and in some cases illegal, when with a little saving you can not only purchase something that looks great but something that you will be more proud of and will last you way longer. And a hockey jersey really cannot be considered an article of clothing. An article of clothing is, in my opinion, something you wear everyday. A hockey jersey is not something you wear everyday.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I love my 'subpar' jerseys. They are holding up great. My point was the value behind the item, it's not worth half of my mortgage, no matter what month I buy it in. I don't have $350 to spend on it, ever. If I can save up that much money, there are other things that I need to address before I drop that kind of cash on something-you-dont-wear-everyday-non-clothing-article I don't wear a jacket everyday, or buy them every month, and I buy them from the subpar discount clothing store, for $30. Does that make your jacket better than mine?

Its like comparing a Phillips to a Vizio. People think the Vizio is subpar because it looks a little different and is cheaper. On the other hand, my Vizio not only performs better, but has lasted longer than my Phillips. Price is never an indication of quality or an ability to satisfy. If I'm happy with the jersey I'm wearing what does it really matter?

I love my 'subpar' jerseys. They are holding up great. My point was the value behind the item, it's not worth half of my mortgage, no matter what month I buy it in. I don't have $350 to spend on it, ever. If I can save up that much money, there are other things that I need to address before I drop that kind of cash on something-you-dont-wear-everyday-non-clothing-article I don't wear a jacket everyday, or buy them every month, and I buy them from the subpar discount clothing store, for $30. Does that make your jacket better than mine?

Its like comparing a Phillips to a Vizio. People think the Vizio is subpar because it looks a little different and is cheaper. On the other hand, my Vizio not only performs better, but has lasted longer than my Phillips. Price is never an indication of quality or an ability to satisfy. If I'm happy with the jersey I'm wearing what does it really matter?

Your Phillips vs Vizio comparison doesn't make sense. Both are legitimately produced products. If anything, you can make the case that authentic jersey is to Phillips as replica jersey is to Vizio. And we all know that a lot of TV's and electronics have the same guts with a different brand name slapped on it, so that makes the comparison even worse.

Buying something illegal just because you think the authentic item isn't worth $350 doesn't make the purchase of the illegal item right. A lot of the time, the fake jerseys support criminals, and some use child labor to produce them.

Also, as I said before, if you're paying $350 for a jersey you're paying way too much. Never pay full retail, deals can be had everywhere for the real thing.

I can see both sides of the argument. Like I've said, I could never afford to pay full retail. But like ACallToArms and I have said - if you keep your eyes peeled - you'd be surprised what you can find online. Real jerseys look a lot better than knock offs when you compare the two, because there's always something wrong with them. I could spot knock offs from 30 rows away at the Joe, but when surrounded by true replicas - they stick out a lot. I'm also a graphic design student and have an eye for things like type faces, but I think most die-hard fans would notice.

The pure number of knock offs there was actually really surprising to me, but that's largely irrelevant.

I think the biggest issue is that the knock off jerseys attempt to replicate the authentic jerseys and it might be less noticeable if they were made to 'match' the replicas. Perhaps ignorance is bliss, but once you know what to look for on a fake I feel like it stands out tremendously.

Buying something illegal just because you think the authentic item isn't worth $350 doesn't make the purchase of the illegal item right. A lot of the time, the fake jerseys support criminals, and some use child labor to produce them.

This is another topic on whether its right or wrong, but I am arguing a price point on authentic or replica gear. It most certainly doesn't cost $200 to produce a jersey. Why sock it to the fan?

Are you insinuating that since the knock offs are made in China, they probably use some sort of child labor? If you check shop.nhl.com you will see that most jerseys, even legit ones, are produced out of the country. This one says the country of origin is India. In the past, I have seen it say China which is what I was getting at but it has since changed so I can't really make that point now. You normally see this for customized jerseys on NHL shop, but I'm willing to bet most jerseys are produced in the same warehouses. I'm genuinely curious how many of the legit jerseys find their way out the back way and onto ebay or other markets.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2626961&cp=3176434

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Being extremely price conscious, you should know that you can get an authentic, customized Wings jersey for $245, sometimes less.

Good point. So why does it matter to you that I choose authentic every time?

I guess it does matter a little to you.

This is another topic on whether its right or wrong, but I am arguing a price point on authentic or replica gear. It most certainly doesn't cost $200 to produce a jersey. Why sock it to the fan?

Are you insinuating that since the knock offs are made in China, they probably use some sort of child labor? If you check shop.nhl.com you will see that most jerseys, even legit ones, are produced out of the country. This one says the country of origin is India. In the past, I have seen it say China which is what I was getting at but it has since changed so I can't really make that point now. You normally see this for customized jerseys on NHL shop, but I'm willing to bet most jerseys are produced in the same warehouses. I'm genuinely curious how many of the legit jerseys find their way out the back way and onto ebay or other markets.

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2626961&cp=3176434

Whether it's right or wrong? It's illegal. I don't think there is much of a debate.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!