• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WMUCarGuy

Perhaps still a chance for Lidstrom to win another Norris?

Rate this topic

At the start of this season, I'd probably have thought Lidstrom never stood a chance of even being nominated for another Norris. With the rise of Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Mike Green, Tyler Myers, Shea Weber, etc. I think most people feel Nick has sort of passed the torch to a new group of young, elite defensemen.

But 7-10 games into the season, Lidstrom is tied for 2nd in points among defensemen and he's looked pretty fantastic. Doughty is out with a concussion and Keith, Green Myers are definitely not off to great starts.

Even many of the NHLs other great veterans aren't producing much either.

I wonder if there might be room for 1 more Norris on Nick's trophy case??

As of today: (GP) G/A - P

Lidstrom (7) 1/7 - 8

Weber (8) 1/4 - 5

Boyle (7) 1/4 - 5

Gonchar (8) 0/4 - 4

Chara (6) 2/1 - 3

Myers (9) 2/1 - 3

Phaneuf (7) 0/3 - 3

Keith (10) 0/3 - 3

Bouwmeester (8) 0/1 - 1

Pronger (5) 0/1 - 1

Doughty (5) 0/1 - 1

Green (5) 0/1 - 1

Markov (0) 0/0 - 0

Right now, in terms of people near the top of the list, Nick is one of only 3 defensemen who are at above 1 pt/game.

Obviously it's still VERY early, but if Nick can keep up this pace, I have to think he'd be at least nominated for sure!

Was going to post this topic shortly. For a guy like Lidstrom who typically starts out slow and builds up steam over the course of the season, to see him with a start like this is pretty exciting.

If one of Keith, Doughty or Green (the annointed next generation) do not seriously pick it up in the next dozen games or so we might see the media start running with headlines of 'Lidstrom's Resurgence' -- and those are the guys who vote on the award.

Despite Lidstrom deserving the Norris in '09, I knew he was out of it that year when the media was announcing 'Lidstrom's Reign Over' in November.

Edited by egroen

Was going to post this topic shortly. For a guy like Lidstrom who typically starts out slow and builds up steam over the course of the season, to see him with a start like this is pretty exciting.

This. Was going to start a topic like this myself, but didn't want to get abused for jinxing it.

If he stays at that pace he damn well better win it. He'll have around 94 points.

But I'm expecting Rafalski's return to cut into Nick's point total just a little. But it is great to see him off to a good start this year. And nothing would make me happier than to see him tied with Doug Harvey.

He's had a great start, especially compared to last season where he didn't REALLY become himself until after christmas.

It's gonna be difficult for him to win it though simply because he's won it so many times and the voters will want to give it to someone younger.

On the other hand it's his final (?) season and that could get him some extra votes, kind off a "send him off the right way" thing.

I think if his start is an indication on how his season will go, it's time to finally give him a Hart Trophy. Won't happen, but god damn does he ever deserve one.

Maybe they should create a "Lidstrom Trophy" for the player who has been most valuable to his team for many years.

They may want to give it someone younger, but they may just go with tried and true this time if the young kids continue to struggle. Lidstrom winning it in his (potentially) final year would be just as good of a story as one of the young kids winning it from a media standpoint.

Depends on how healthy the rest of the team is. Doesn't help him that Rafalski is hurt, since that's his partner back there on the PP.

The flip side of that, is that he seems to be shooting more on the PP with Rafalski out. Hence he's scoring more points. Maybe it's all a coincidence since it's so early into the season.

I think he has a shot. Hes look terrific this year and his fast start is even more encouraging. I also wanted to add that if Mike Greene is a serious contender and ever wins, my head will explode from knowing the Norris can be given to just anyone that scores and doesnt play defense.

Guest Shoreline

In hindsight, I thought the other Norris candidates had better seasons last year than Lids, but so far he's doing pretty well.

It's recognizing he has lost some stuff (notably speed) and making up for it with defensive smarts, which is most certainly in his realm of expertise. I wouldn't give him the Norris merely for doing great, but being far better defensively than any other defenseman, which will show up on highlights if Lids gets turned inside out and beaten on rushes, and then the scoring ability, which we all know he has plenty of.

I'm not worried much about his points production, just like Brett Hull still had his scoring touch as he got older, but lacked mobility. Teams anticipated Hull being slower and could overcome those few extra seconds, but in Lidstrom's case, that's an enormous potential risk if he's losing his stuff.

Guest Stolberg

Depends on how healthy the rest of the team is. Doesn't help him that Rafalski is hurt, since that's his partner back there on the PP.

The flip side of that, is that he seems to be shooting more on the PP with Rafalski out. Hence he's scoring more points. Maybe it's all a coincidence since it's so early into the season.

is it because rafalski is out, or because modano is in :hehe:

Way too early, but I can't see a better way for Nick to go out than with a Cup and a Norris.

I think Lidstrom is a bit sloppier than normal, but I think he still knows what it takes to win.

He's had a less than "Lidstrom-like" defensive start, but he seems to be doing pretty damn well offensively for an old man :)

He won't be the same player this year, but "IF" we are successful, he will still play a new type of instrumental part.

Guest mjtm77

I dont see him getting it. So far this year he has made more defencive errors and i think he has lost some of his game but that would be amazing if he won another one.

Guest Crymson

But I'm expecting Rafalski's return to cut into Nick's point total just a little.

How would this be the case? He'd be playing on the PP with Rafalski.

How would this be the case? He'd be playing on the PP with Rafalski.

< In play by play announcer voice > Datsyuk feeds back to Rafalski, who onetimes, SCORESSSS, off a tip in from Holstrom who had his ass right in ( insert goalie here ) face and the rest of his body 3 feet from the paint while being dealt a crosscheck from ( insert defender here ). And for some miraculous reason, Dan O'Halloran isn't calling it back.

So how would Nick get a point for the above play???

Their PP has been more of the umbrella type as of late, and with Rafalski in the game he usually gets the shooter role on top from a feed back to the line from the forwards on the perimeter.

Don't understand how you think having both Nick and Rafalski out there on a PP equates to more points for Nick automatically. Unless of course, we start operating at 50% or better efficiency. Please explain.

Maybe they should create a "Lidstrom Trophy" for the player who has been most valuable to his team for many years.

Kind of like a "Lifetime Achievement Award" for an NHL career. The Lidstrom Award

Could you see the criteria for a Datsyuk award: To the player that best personifies a perennial Lady Byng candidate, perrenial Selke candidate, perennial take away leader, best puck handler, best deker, excellent playmaker, voted by goalies most frightenning to face in the shootout, can drop the gloves to shut up douchebags, and does it all with a smile on his face while jamming to "I Feel Good".

But i digress...Long Live Norris Nick!

Edited by T.Low