• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

New Jersey's situation about to explode

Rate this topic

So what's the chances of wings getting parise? Could we even make a bid?

As far as kovy- I knew this would blow up as soon as the first contract was rejected. This was dumber than the hossa signing (which was dumb in itself but workable). Devils will probably end up as the next bankrupt team. But until then, if you want to find the devils they will be kicking it down at bottom of the standings.

Not a chance. We won't have the money, unless lidstrom retires, but if he does then we'll be getting a "replacement" for Lidstrom, maybe offer sheet one of the few up and coming star D-men this offseason.

A domino effect of the Kovalchuk deal: no money here to have, so I'd better look elsewhere. I assume they used primer, followed by two coats latex to paint themselves into this corner.

Kovalchuk's deal is obscene in a lot of ways.... but his cap hit is really pretty manageable. He's 24th in the league in Cap hit, behind inferior players like Vanek, Eric Staal, Nash, Lecavalier, Gomez, Drury, Bouwmeester, etc... It's not Kovalchuk's deal that is the ridiculous one when it comes to cap management and fielding a team.

Lou threw out no trade/movement clauses like candy at Halloween to players who didn't warrant them... and now he's stuck with overpaying guys like Rolston (5 million cap hit for 2 games so far, and 37 points last year...), Zubrus, Langenbrunner, and Elias.

And the Defense Lou put together is composed of players who have never put points on the board: Volchenkov, Tallinder, Colin White, etc... Imagine Datsyuk and Zetterberg trying to put up points without guys like Raf, Lidstrom, and Kronwall moving the puck. Think they'd stay at a PPG? The blame doesn't rest on Kovalchuk's shoulders... His cap hit isn't bad, and he didn't put a gun to anyone's head to make Devils management sign him and sign all those other bad contracts.

Kovalchuk's deal is obscene in a lot of ways.... but his cap hit is really pretty manageable. He's 24th in the league in Cap hit, behind inferior players like Vanek, Eric Staal, Nash, Lecavalier, Gomez, Drury, Bouwmeester, etc... It's not Kovalchuk's deal that is the ridiculous one when it comes to cap management and fielding a team.

Lou threw out no trade/movement clauses like candy at Halloween to players who didn't warrant them... and now he's stuck with overpaying guys like Rolston (5 million cap hit for 2 games so far, and 37 points last year...), Zubrus, Langenbrunner, and Elias.

And the Defense Lou put together is composed of players who have never put points on the board: Volchenkov, Tallinder, Colin White, etc... Imagine Datsyuk and Zetterberg trying to put up points without guys like Raf, Lidstrom, and Kronwall moving the puck. Think they'd stay at a PPG? The blame doesn't rest on Kovalchuk's shoulders... His cap hit isn't bad, and he didn't put a gun to anyone's head to make Devils management sign him and sign all those other bad contracts.

I pretty much agree with you, but one minor aside: At that price I would take Nash, Staal, or Lecavalier in a heart beat over Kovalchuk.

I pretty much agree with you, but one minor aside: At that price I would take Nash, Staal, or Lecavalier in a heart beat over Kovalchuk.

I disagree... I would rather have 06-07 Levavalier... but he hasn't exited since 06-07... and Staal and Nash.. not a chance... They are about as good as Kovi defensively.. and neither are better than Kovalchuk on the offensive end.

I actually feel bad for the Devils. When it rains, it pours. We know that all too well from last season.

We rallyed to keep our playoff appearence streak going. Will the Devil's streak end at 13?

Lest we forget,

THE COST:

(Just for the rental)

Bergfors: 4 goals in 10 games

Cormier: decent prospect

Oduya: a -9 sure, but playing 22 min/game

1st round pick

Then:

a 100 million contract and lack of cap flexibility for YEARS to come

Oh, don't forget the sanctions:

1st, 3rd, and a $3 mill fine

and what about the future:

Can't ice a full team?? 15 players.

Parise contract upcoming, will he resign? Offer sheet?

RESULTS:

:lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

Edited by e_prime

:lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

O

M

GOD!!! Kovi would have had better results if he shove the puck up his ass and farted it out! At least Modano actually got a shot off on his penalty shot attempt (a weak one, but a shot none the less)!

Man, NJ's situation seems pretty bad, especially when you can only ice 15 players because of the cap situation. That's a reason why I didn't want Kovi on the team: flexibility.

Guest Stolberg

Man, NJ's situation seems pretty bad, especially when you can only ice 15 players because of the cap situation.

when was that