• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#81 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

A domino effect of the Kovalchuk deal: no money here to have, so I'd better look elsewhere. I assume they used primer, followed by two coats latex to paint themselves into this corner.

Kovalchuk's deal is obscene in a lot of ways.... but his cap hit is really pretty manageable. He's 24th in the league in Cap hit, behind inferior players like Vanek, Eric Staal, Nash, Lecavalier, Gomez, Drury, Bouwmeester, etc... It's not Kovalchuk's deal that is the ridiculous one when it comes to cap management and fielding a team.

Lou threw out no trade/movement clauses like candy at Halloween to players who didn't warrant them... and now he's stuck with overpaying guys like Rolston (5 million cap hit for 2 games so far, and 37 points last year...), Zubrus, Langenbrunner, and Elias.

And the Defense Lou put together is composed of players who have never put points on the board: Volchenkov, Tallinder, Colin White, etc... Imagine Datsyuk and Zetterberg trying to put up points without guys like Raf, Lidstrom, and Kronwall moving the puck. Think they'd stay at a PPG? The blame doesn't rest on Kovalchuk's shoulders... His cap hit isn't bad, and he didn't put a gun to anyone's head to make Devils management sign him and sign all those other bad contracts.

#82 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Now Marty left the game against Chicago with an "Arm / Elbow bruise"....didnt sound good. Johan Hedberg, take it away!
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#83 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

Oh man, now Brodeur is hurt.

Dear God, you're supposed to bestow your wrath against the REAL devil, not the ones from New Jersey.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#84 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

I actually feel bad for the Devils. When it rains, it pours. We know that all too well from last season.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#85 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

Kovalchuk's deal is obscene in a lot of ways.... but his cap hit is really pretty manageable. He's 24th in the league in Cap hit, behind inferior players like Vanek, Eric Staal, Nash, Lecavalier, Gomez, Drury, Bouwmeester, etc... It's not Kovalchuk's deal that is the ridiculous one when it comes to cap management and fielding a team.

Lou threw out no trade/movement clauses like candy at Halloween to players who didn't warrant them... and now he's stuck with overpaying guys like Rolston (5 million cap hit for 2 games so far, and 37 points last year...), Zubrus, Langenbrunner, and Elias.

And the Defense Lou put together is composed of players who have never put points on the board: Volchenkov, Tallinder, Colin White, etc... Imagine Datsyuk and Zetterberg trying to put up points without guys like Raf, Lidstrom, and Kronwall moving the puck. Think they'd stay at a PPG? The blame doesn't rest on Kovalchuk's shoulders... His cap hit isn't bad, and he didn't put a gun to anyone's head to make Devils management sign him and sign all those other bad contracts.

I pretty much agree with you, but one minor aside: At that price I would take Nash, Staal, or Lecavalier in a heart beat over Kovalchuk.

#86 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

I pretty much agree with you, but one minor aside: At that price I would take Nash, Staal, or Lecavalier in a heart beat over Kovalchuk.

I disagree... I would rather have 06-07 Levavalier... but he hasn't exited since 06-07... and Staal and Nash.. not a chance... They are about as good as Kovi defensively.. and neither are better than Kovalchuk on the offensive end.

#87 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:01 AM

I actually feel bad for the Devils. When it rains, it pours. We know that all too well from last season.

We rallyed to keep our playoff appearence streak going. Will the Devil's streak end at 13?

#88 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

Posted Image

#89 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

:lol:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#90 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

I guess the only reason Wings fans would have to not like the Devils would be the '95 Finals. And that was quite a minute ago.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#91 RedWings Gone Wild

RedWings Gone Wild

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

I guess the only reason Wings fans would have to not like the Devils would be the '95 Finals. And that was quite a minute ago.

Yeah, can't say it bothers me anymore... the 4 cups since then might have something to do with it :hehe:

#92 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Ah - no....Still hate them.

Loving every minute of this...Looks as though Lou found himself in a new version of the trap :lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#93 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

Brodeur's out tonight, Hedberg's in net.

Feeling better and better about picking tonight's Rangers/Devils game as my x2 for the weekend picks. :lol:

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#94 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

Brodeur's out tonight, Hedberg's in net.

Feeling better and better about picking tonight's Rangers/Devils game as my x2 for the weekend picks. :lol:

I dunno... Although NJ is teh most suck, NYR are stil teh suck.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#95 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Lest we forget,

THE COST:

(Just for the rental)
Bergfors: 4 goals in 10 games
Cormier: decent prospect
Oduya: a -9 sure, but playing 22 min/game
1st round pick

Then:
a 100 million contract and lack of cap flexibility for YEARS to come

Oh, don't forget the sanctions:
1st, 3rd, and a $3 mill fine

and what about the future:
Can't ice a full team?? 15 players.
Parise contract upcoming, will he resign? Offer sheet?

RESULTS:

:lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

Edited by e_prime, 12 November 2010 - 10:00 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#96 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Sheesh, when you put it like that (including the sanctions) that is almost starting to rival the Lindros trade :blink:
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#97 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

I almost want to feel sorry for the Devils after that.

#98 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

:lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

O
M
GOD!!! Kovi would have had better results if he shove the puck up his ass and farted it out! At least Modano actually got a shot off on his penalty shot attempt (a weak one, but a shot none the less)!

Man, NJ's situation seems pretty bad, especially when you can only ice 15 players because of the cap situation. That's a reason why I didn't want Kovi on the team: flexibility.
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#99 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

Posted Image

Epic.

Edited by henrik40, 12 November 2010 - 12:48 PM.

#100 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

Things not faring well for them so far against the Oilers.