• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Evans_18

Datsyuk voted best Russian player

Rate this topic

So I randomly ran into this last night when I was browsing the Reebok site and thought I would share it with everyone.

On the international level, Datsyuk played with Team Russia in both the 2010 Olympics and the IIHF World Championship, winning silver in the latter. He also was recently voted by Russians as the best Russian hockey player.

Im actually surprised. I thought the people of Russia would have chose someone like Ovechkin for his explosive style of play. I am happy to see Datsyuk get that honor though he for sure deserves it.

The article for those interested

Sorry for the spelling error in the title I am still half asleep hopefully a mod or can fix it or something haha.

Edited by Evans_18

Sorry for the spelling error in the title I am still half asleep hopefully a mod or can fix it or something haha.

haha I can see what was on your mind

this is pretty surprising actually considering theres kovi, malkin, ovech, and probably a few others im missing..

I'm guessing they didn't vote for the best goal scorer, or best forward, but for what Pavel Datsyuk is; best Russian (and imho best overall player in the NHL). No one plays a more complete hockey game then Pav's.

Edited by CanadaBoy

"Henrik Zetterberg does"

Nope. Nice try though. The Selke's and takeaways speak for themselves.

Trophies speaking? Is there video evidence?

As for who is better defensively; When they are on separate lines, which one is usually matched up against the other team's top offensive line to shut it down while still providing offense? Zetterberg. Not Datsyuk. That speaks volumes doesn't it? Certainly more than a single stat viewed on its own out of context.

Guest Crymson

As for who is better defensively; When they are on separate lines, which one is usually matched up against the other team's top offensive line to shut it down while still providing offense? Zetterberg. Not Datsyuk.

Err... this isn't necessarily true.

Trophies speaking? Is there video evidence?

As for who is better defensively; When they are on separate lines, which one is usually matched up against the other team's top offensive line to shut it down while still providing offense? Zetterberg. Not Datsyuk. That speaks volumes doesn't it? Certainly more than a single stat viewed on its own out of context.

So Zetterberg's negligible defensive advantage means he is more complete?

So Zetterberg's negligible defensive advantage means he is more complete?

Since the beginning of the 2009-10 season:

Zetterberg 81 GP, 26g-54a-80p (28g-58a-86p over 87 games)

Datsyuk 87 GP, 31g-46a-77p

Z clearly has been a better producer offensively.

Neither player has a significant advantage in the physical game, so if you don't think Z's advantage offensively and defensively are enough, let's look at one more aspect. Clutch play. Datsyuk has been a good playoff player, with some questioning. Z is one of the league's top postseason players every year. And there has not been a single season where Datsyuk's playoff run was better than Z's of that same year.

Datsyuk is an amazing player, and it's great that he won this award. But he's not "the most complete" player in the world.

It's all symantics they are two of the best two way players in the game, you couldn't go wrong with either choice, that being said if I had to pick one or the other it would be Datsyuk by a slim and I mean very slim margin.

To the poster who chose 09 as the starting point why not go back to their first common season? 02-03 I think that Datsyuk would win but I could be wrong.

I'd still take Crosby over any European player. :ph34r:

That said I'm not surprised, Datsyuk is just an unbelievable player in every aspect of the game, I'd certainly take 10-15 less points and get the best two way center in the game. I do hope he can get his point totals up around 100 so he can get some more national recognition for his skill, but to me that's not necessary.

The Zetterberg v. Datsyuk debate isn't even one for me. They are equal, Zetterberg has had a little more injury troubles in the regular seasons, but has came to play in the playoffs. Datsyuk has been lucky on the injury front and has been able to be very consistent the last couple years in the regular season which make it seem like he's better.