• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Mike Babcock puts third line on notice

Rate this topic

Cool, exactly what I want Babcock to do. Try a little vocal inspiration first, then start taking them out and replacing them with Abby.

:thumbup:

Edited by Carman

I wonder how long it will take him before he realizes that he said "my plan is for every line to have a scorer, a playmaker, and some net presence" and he didn't put his lines together in that fashion at all; It's true of the first line, the second line really has a scorer and two playmakers, one of whom is able to offer net presence, and the third line has two scorers and a playmaker. They're expected to play a completely different style of hockey than the line is set up to play.

Who would you bench first for Abs? I think Huds should get more time to get up to speed with NHL hockey and Cleary has been working hard so I'd bench Modano.

Guest best poster in LGW history

I wonder how long it will take him before he realizes that he said "my plan is for every line to have a scorer, a playmaker, and some net presence" and he didn't put his lines together in that fashion at all; It's true of the first line, the second line really has a scorer and two playmakers, one of whom is able to offer net presence, and the third line has two scorers and a playmaker. They're expected to play a completely different style of hockey than the line is set up to play.

i'd say it's more accurate to describe cleary as a "net presence" than as a "scorer".

unfortunately, he's probably neither at this point.

You act like you are reading his mind when he set up these lines. It looks to me like he just put the 6 best players in the top 6. It's up to Hudler/Cleary/Modano to produce, they aren't going to get a promotion for being awful...

Cool, exactly what I want Babcock to do. Try a little vocal inspiration first, then start taking them out and replacing them with Abby.

:thumbup:

Agreed. I'm curious to see how Modano responds to this. Imagine how pissed Willa will be if he gets benched. :)

i'd say it's more accurate to describe cleary as a "net presence" than as a "scorer".

The whole main point of that post was that it's not really Hudler's fault that his stats are where they are.

Guest mindfly

nice that they practiced today... i want abdelkader in the lineup - NOW...

Cleary is the best player on the third line and he just gets dragged down in the s*** by hudler and modano, imo.

“That’s the problem -- or the good thing,'' Babcock said. "Maybe I could change it and fix both and maybe I could change it and not fix both. I haven’t been forced because we’ve been winning, but we got to get them going. Now the other thing is, I can say to you we got to get them going, but don’t they got to get themselves going?''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/10/red_wings_will_stick_with_the.html

EDIT: Had to bold that part for emphasis.

Edited by titanium2

When does Hudler come back?

I think he still has VISA issues or something. As in, one of the hookers he bought stole his VISA and ran it up hard like how Hudler did to her for 500 bucks an hour.

EDIT: Had to put in a price there.

Edited by titanium2

Hudler is as much net presence as Cleary is.

A guy who goes to the net is not "net presence", a guy who sits there and gets whacked and screens the goalie is.

Cleary is, with regards to offense, almost exclusively a shooter. He can't pass for s***, and even if he could his offensive success comes mainly from his speed. Hudler is almost the anti-Cleary in that he's not a fast guy, but he's an excellent playmaker and passer, and his offensive success comes from his ability to take advantage of weak spots in the opposing team's defense, It's why Hudler can make a great first pass, and is great on the PP, but has much more difficulty if he is forced to carry the puck through the neutral zone.

A guy who goes to the net is not "net presence", a guy who sits there and gets whacked and screens the goalie is.

Cleary is, with regards to offense, almost exclusively a shooter. He can't pass for s***, and even if he could his offensive success comes mainly from his speed. Hudler is almost the anti-Cleary in that he's not a fast guy, but he's an excellent playmaker and passer, and his offensive success comes from his ability to take advantage of weak spots in the opposing team's defense, It's why Hudler can make a great first pass, and is great on the PP, but has much more difficulty if he is forced to carry the puck through the neutral zone.

Of all the wrong statements you've made as a Hudler zealot, this has to top the pile.

I like Hudler. But not this much.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest best poster in LGW history

cleary has at least, in the past, proven that he can "sit there and get whacked and screen the goalie" pretty effectively. starting with his 1st 20 goal season where he replaced holmstrom on the PP due to homer's injury, iirc. he's had stretches of doing it since then, though not as often.

hudler has never been and will never be a net-front guy, so i'm not sure why you would state that he is equal to cleary in that department....other than the fact that you seem to think hudler is capable of more than he is in reality.

edit: actually it may have been his 2nd 20 goal season, looking at homer's GP.

Edited by best poster in LGW history

Mike Legg scored what many consider the best goal ever scored in any kind of high level hockey. He never even made the AHL. A player can do something, and do it really well, without it being their normal skill level or play style.

And if you notice in that video, Cleary is not hit, bumped, or even LOOKED AT by a defenseman, and gets no goalie sticks to the calves. Show me some real "evidence" please.

cleary has at least, in the past, proven that he can "sit there and get whacked and screen the goalie" pretty effectively.

What are you talking about? Cleary isn't willing to get whacked in front of the net...

2009-0207-dg-wings022.jpg

When does Hudler come back?

He wants to show everyone that he hasn't lost his power to become invisible while traveling abroad... Trade Him! He should have some value and could bring in a player of comparable skill. Never was a big Hudler fan.

Lol... Eva must have went into major damage control mode as soon as he saw the thread title. Gotta try and keep the gnats off Hudler. :)

Sorry eva, but Hudler is almost as bad as Modano but worse than Cleary on that line.

Who would you bench first for Abs? I think Huds should get more time to get up to speed with NHL hockey and Cleary has been working hard so I'd bench Modano.

THAT would be a tough question- hey future HOFer that we lured over here instead of retiring and promised to give decent playing time to and sold you on the 3rd line-We know it has only been a few games into the season but- have a seat!

Edited by Lord Stanely