• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Mike Babcock puts third line on notice

Rate this topic

The giveaways and turnovers which lead to goals on the Wings are bad. Even Lidstrom looked only partially conscious for part of the game against Dallas but the third line has not scored the way they did in the pre-season. Anyone who watched the game against Dallas also remembers Modano skating a lot of shifts and obviously working very hard - he was one of the few who could keep the puck on Dallas' side of the ice (Modano did not score, but also was not a -3 that game). Some of the characterizations of Modano on here are simply dishonest and petty.

Rafalski is +5 over 2 games. These guys can and do score frequently, but people were saying the same negative things about Zetterberg and Datsyuk when the team was shutout against Atlanta, Calgary, St. Louis, Chicago and Columbus in November and December of last season. We're not getting shutout, people.

The main problem with the third line is that it isn't getting any sustained pressure. They are getting decent chances every now and then but it is usually one and done with maybe a quick swipe at a rebound. That's a chemistry issue imo. It might never fix itself.

Edited by Broken 16

Who would you bench first for Abs? I think Huds should get more time to get up to speed with NHL hockey and Cleary has been working hard so I'd bench Modano.

As much as I've been unimpressed with Modano, I'd bench Hudler (who's also been unimpressive). With Abby and Cleary on a line busting their ass every shift, maybe Mike would get embarrassed into fighting for the puck.

Hudler is as much net presence as Cleary is.

A guy who goes to the net is not "net presence", a guy who sits there and gets whacked and screens the goalie is.

Cleary is, with regards to offense, almost exclusively a shooter. He can't pass for s***, and even if he could his offensive success comes mainly from his speed. Hudler is almost the anti-Cleary in that he's not a fast guy, but he's an excellent playmaker and passer, and his offensive success comes from his ability to take advantage of weak spots in the opposing team's defense, It's why Hudler can make a great first pass, and is great on the PP, but has much more difficulty if he is forced to carry the puck through the neutral zone.

Hudler is definitely the anti-Cleary, but probably not in the way you intended.

Even if everything you were saying was true, which it's not (Hudler is as much net presence as Cleary??) Babcock had Cleary out there with Z and Datsyuk for the final minutes of a tie game.

Wonder why Hudler wasn't out there?

and why isn't abby playing? i must be missing something here. i know the wings are going good right now but is benching miller in the press box where he belongs really going to affect chemistry that much?

I highly doubt modano gets benched with his kinda personality, he would probably get all butt hurt about it and cry to kenny. also doubt hudler or cleay gets sat. maybe a bit of line juggling is in order, however, do not break up that second line and keep the euro twins together.

Edited by redwingfan19

and why isn't abby playing? i must be missing something here. i know the wings are going good right now but is benching miller in the press box where he belongs really going to affect chemistry that much?

I highly doubt modano gets benched with his kinda personality, he would probably get all butt hurt about it and cry to kenny. also doubt hudler or cleay gets sat. maybe a bit of line juggling is in order, however, do not break up that second line and keep the euro twins together.

Abby is coming off a rib injury, those can linger a little bit, and if he's not 100% there's no point in putting him in the line-up, over Miller.

This line hasn't been "good" to say the least. Expectations are/were very high for this line. I guess things can't get a whole lot worse? Um and I can't wait till Abdelkader comes back into the line up. Abs for Hudler as of now for the third line imo.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Guest CaliWingsNut

When Draper returns, I expect the 3rd line to be fixed.

Remember, he scored 20 goals one year playing on the wing.

Gordie Howe once scored 49 goals. Maybe we should get him to play on the wing? I'm sure it'll fix our 3rd line!

Guest scottj

Lol my one friend says s*** like that but it has to do with ozzie. He says he feels more comfortable with ozzie in net than howie. Why? Cause of all his cup rings man! 2008!... Apprently if you win enough cups, your skills don't deplete with age...

Guest Hatethedrake!

Hudler makes me miss Jason Williams right about now.

:scared:

Oh for the love of God, you cannot mean that! :yowza:

Hudler shouldnt have gone and played in that inferior hockey league last year. He looks a step behind to me now, no doubt due the pace being slower over there.

Edited by UP2HERE