• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

The subject of moving conferences has come up from time to time, and was brought up by Mickey talking to Gary Bettman tonight. Bettman said Ilitch would want to be called first in the event that an Eastern Conference team moves to the West (Islanders?). I like the Wings as a Western Conference team - not for practical reasons, but because of their style of hockey. What do you all think?

works every time

#2 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

I hope they stay in the west. Its the way it is and it would just be weird to be in the east
Posted Image

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

I'd prefer them in the East. I'd love to have an easy trip to the playoffs every year. Not to mention an easier division...

But really, I would prefer them in the East, would be easier travel, and I'd love to get a good rivalry with Toronto again.

#4 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

I'd prefer them in the East. I'd love to have an easy trip to the playoffs every year. Not to mention an easier division...

But really, I would prefer them in the East, would be easier travel, and I'd love to get a good rivalry with Toronto again.

I hate change
Posted Image

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

It'll happen once there is contraction.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

f*** yes, please. Easier travel schedules, weaker conference.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

I hope so.

I'll get more sleep with games ending at more humane times.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Yeah only if the condition is rescinded/moved. Definitely not due to an expansion.

#9 DETMURDS

DETMURDS

MEMBER #129 since 2002

• Gold Booster
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

I would love to see an original six division to be honest,..but I know I am dreaming!

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

On the one hand, the East would mean the WIngs would dominate each and every year.

On the other hand, I think it might make the Wings lazier. In the West you've got to have that killer instinct. I'd hate to have an easy route to the Finals in the East only to run into a well-oiled machine of a Western juggernaut and not be prepared.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

The East is too boring. I don't feel like watching boring hockey. I like that the Wings need to fight for their wins in the West. We'll just step over the East. It'll be nice to see the Wings win all the time, but I need balanced hockey.

#12 Fatsyuk

Fatsyuk

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

The west is the best.

#13 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

On the one hand, the East would mean the WIngs would dominate each and every year.

On the other hand, I think it might make the Wings lazier. In the West you've got to have that killer instinct. I'd hate to have an easy route to the Finals in the East only to run into a well-oiled machine of a Western juggernaut and not be prepared.

that's a good point... playing against the best helps

it will be an easier road to the playoffs/less travel but I don't know if I want the Red Wings to be associated with that joke of a conference

#14 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:31 AM

The subject of moving conferences has come up from time to time, and was brought up by Mickey talking to Gary Bettman tonight. Bettman said Ilitch would want to be called first in the event that an Eastern Conference team moves to the West (Islanders?). I like the Wings as a Western Conference team - not for practical reasons, but because of their style of hockey. What do you all think?

Going from Buttmunch's response to that question no way the Wings are ever moving to the East any time soon.

#15 bruisebrother15

bruisebrother15

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

If the NHL could guarantee that no playoff games start later then 9pm if the Wings stayed in the West than I'm all for them staying put. Since that probably won't happen I vote for them to move to the East. I have to be at work at 7am and can't watch much of a double overtime game that starts at 10pm or 10:30pm. Screw the DVR, I want to watch it live.

I agree that the hockey in the West is better though.

#16 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

I would love to see an original six division to be honest,..but I know I am dreaming!

That would have been something ;)

About the question: I see West as better hockey, so I think the Wings are better off there. Yes, it might be harder competition, but that should only make the Wings better.
Posted Image

#17 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#18 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

True that, I miss the Toronto rivalry as I am only an hour outside the city...but When Toronto went to the East I was super stoked to see a Toronto Detroit Final!!! Got close but no cigar, Im still waiting.....
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#19 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

I would love to see the wings play the caps, pens, leafs, canadiens, devils, and even the islanders several times a year as opposed to only once or never during the season. Ill sacrifice watching the hawks, sharks, and nucks for those other teams.

Better time schedule, better travel (especially in playoffs its crutial). I think its a no-brainer.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

I think the East/West format needs to go away and there needs to be a re-alignment with all conferences essentially enduring the same travel, almost similar to an AL/NL setup in MLB (http://www.letsgowin...8-re-alignment/)... with that said, if they are going to stay in an East-West format, then there is no doubt the Wings should be in the East, as it should have been all along...

Edited by stevkrause, 29 October 2010 - 09:23 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.