• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Wings to Eastern Conference Someday?

Rate this topic

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The subject of moving conferences has come up from time to time, and was brought up by Mickey talking to Gary Bettman tonight. Bettman said Ilitch would want to be called first in the event that an Eastern Conference team moves to the West (Islanders?). I like the Wings as a Western Conference team - not for practical reasons, but because of their style of hockey. What do you all think?

I'd prefer them in the East. I'd love to have an easy trip to the playoffs every year. Not to mention an easier division...

But really, I would prefer them in the East, would be easier travel, and I'd love to get a good rivalry with Toronto again.

Guest mjtm77

I'd prefer them in the East. I'd love to have an easy trip to the playoffs every year. Not to mention an easier division...

But really, I would prefer them in the East, would be easier travel, and I'd love to get a good rivalry with Toronto again.

I hate change

On the one hand, the East would mean the WIngs would dominate each and every year.

On the other hand, I think it might make the Wings lazier. In the West you've got to have that killer instinct. I'd hate to have an easy route to the Finals in the East only to run into a well-oiled machine of a Western juggernaut and not be prepared.

Guest scottj

On the one hand, the East would mean the WIngs would dominate each and every year.

On the other hand, I think it might make the Wings lazier. In the West you've got to have that killer instinct. I'd hate to have an easy route to the Finals in the East only to run into a well-oiled machine of a Western juggernaut and not be prepared.

that's a good point... playing against the best helps

it will be an easier road to the playoffs/less travel but I don't know if I want the Red Wings to be associated with that joke of a conference

The subject of moving conferences has come up from time to time, and was brought up by Mickey talking to Gary Bettman tonight. Bettman said Ilitch would want to be called first in the event that an Eastern Conference team moves to the West (Islanders?). I like the Wings as a Western Conference team - not for practical reasons, but because of their style of hockey. What do you all think?

Going from Buttmunch's response to that question no way the Wings are ever moving to the East any time soon.

If the NHL could guarantee that no playoff games start later then 9pm if the Wings stayed in the West than I'm all for them staying put. Since that probably won't happen I vote for them to move to the East. I have to be at work at 7am and can't watch much of a double overtime game that starts at 10pm or 10:30pm. Screw the DVR, I want to watch it live.

I agree that the hockey in the West is better though.

I would love to see an original six division to be honest,..but I know I am dreaming!

That would have been something ;)

About the question: I see West as better hockey, so I think the Wings are better off there. Yes, it might be harder competition, but that should only make the Wings better.

That's exactly what i was thinking.

True that, I miss the Toronto rivalry as I am only an hour outside the city...but When Toronto went to the East I was super stoked to see a Toronto Detroit Final!!! Got close but no cigar, Im still waiting.....

I would love to see the wings play the caps, pens, leafs, canadiens, devils, and even the islanders several times a year as opposed to only once or never during the season. Ill sacrifice watching the hawks, sharks, and nucks for those other teams.

Better time schedule, better travel (especially in playoffs its crutial). I think its a no-brainer.

I think the East/West format needs to go away and there needs to be a re-alignment with all conferences essentially enduring the same travel, almost similar to an AL/NL setup in MLB (http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php/topic/63908-re-alignment/)... with that said, if they are going to stay in an East-West format, then there is no doubt the Wings should be in the East, as it should have been all along...

Edited by stevkrause

Really tough call. The hockey has been better in the west for two decades, so there are likely many more entertaining games now than there would be if they moved. But having to play two or even three playoff series with west coast travel to get to the final is brutal on the team. And of course there's the issue of late games on TV. Plus there's the Colorado rivalry, which may be dormant now but will probably be revived at some point.

I guess I vote for Wings in the East but a 1-through-16 playoff format so anyone can play in any time zone in the playoffs. If that had been in place before, some of the fantastic Detroit-Colorado series might have been for the Stanley Cup rather than the Western Conference title.

I think its a no brainer to be in the east for 3 reasons -

business wise, Detroit's franchise must pay a lot more for travel expenses. As rich as Illitch is, that is hardly considered fair and as a major player in the NHL, i don't think Illitch is content with letting that slide if he can help it

team wise, the strain it puts on our players to travel so much - the effect the time zones have on them mentally and physically....not to mention the extra time it takes away from their families (no one ever seems to bring this up).

fan wise, I can't afford to stay up and watch those late games. Its bulls*** that this is routine for me to watch my favorite team.

Other notes:

I don't buy that the East has a different style of hockey (that is apparently inferior) and the wings wont be prepared and this or that. Every year 2 teams meet for the stanely cup - one is from the west, one is from the east. These guys are professionals and little technicalities that you want to make up in your head are not going to determine if the wings win the cup or not. We've lost to the devils and the penguins before - and theyre from the east. The biggest reason why the west is considered so strong IS BECAUSE DETROIT PLAYS IN THE WEST.

Also, I get why some people wouldnt want to leave teams we have established rivalries with - but our rivalries should be with the likes of toronto, montreal, new york, philly, boston, new jersey and pittsburgh.

Sure beats the hell out of edmonton, st. louis, nashville, san jose, anaheim....chicago is a good one and of course colorado....but imagine the rivalry we had with colorado being a city like toronto or montreal - now THAT is a worthy hockey market to have a rivalry. I don't give avs fans much credit.

I think the East/West format needs to go away and there needs to be a re-alignment with all conferences essentially enduring the same travel, almost similar to an AL/NL setup in MLB (http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php/topic/63908-re-alignment/)... with that said, if they are going to stay in an East-West format, then there is no doubt the Wings should be in the East, as it should have been all along...

Detroit should always have been in the East.

Even though the East is weaker now that doesnt mean it will always be weaker. There will one day be a power shift anyways so that argument is kind of pointless. Rivalries come and go and the only rivalry we sort of have at the moment in the west would be either Chicago or San Jose, neither of which are crazy. We have more of a rivalry with pittsburgh which can't get any stronger because we hardly play them we wont meet them in the playoffs unless both teams make the finals.

I say make the move for the many solid reasons that have been noted in this thread (travel, time zones, and s*** just out of pure geographical logic).

Yea, but think about this.. The East is lazy and they suck, BUT if the Wings went east, would it then make the East want to work harder to beat the Wings? Thusly making the East a much more competitive conference, it could be good for the eastern conference and hockey is what I'm saying.

Far fetched i know..