• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

Scott Niedermayer's number to be retired

Rate this topic

My link

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The New Jersey Devils will reportedly raise former defenseman Scott Niedermayer's No. 27 to the rafters of Prudential Center at some point this season.

Niedermayer, who won three Stanley Cups with the franchise and one more with the Anaheim Ducks before retiring this past offseason, was at the Honda Center on Friday night to watch the game between his two former teams. The Devils haven't confirmed the news reported originally by the Newark Star-Ledger -- it was a surprise to Niedermayer when he heard it -- but some of his former Devils teammates were excited to hear it.

"I think it's a great honor," said Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur, who won three Cups and two Olympic gold medals with Niedermayer as a teammate. "He's a part of what the Devils are all about, the way he played the game, the way he conducted himself. I had great experiences with him with the Devils and outside with Team Canada and he's a good friend. It's well-deserved."

Niedermayer played 12 seasons with the Devils before signing as a free agent with the Ducks for the 2005-06 season. In 974 regular-season games with the Devils, Niedermayer had 112 goals and 364 assists. In 146 playoff games with New Jersey, he had 17 goals and 47 assists.

Edited by Konnan511

Eh, seems like a stretch to me.

I know they don't have the kind of history of an original 6 team, but I prefer reserving jersey retirement to the SUPER ELITE players of the league, and of the team, and I just don't think he is on par with history's best.

If the wings retired every jersey from players who won 3 cups here, the ceiling at the Joe would be pretty crowded. :hehe:

Eh, seems like a stretch to me.

I know they don't have the kind of history of an original 6 team, but I prefer reserving jersey retirement to the SUPER ELITE players of the league, and of the team, and I just don't think he is on par with history's best.

If the wings retired every jersey from players who won 3 cups here, the ceiling at the Joe would be pretty crowded. :hehe:

He's a future Hall of Famer and has accomplished pretty much everything a player can accomplish (both team awards and individual trophies).

If that's not super elite, then what is?

Yeah wait how is he not super elite?

Would he make the rafters at the Joe with those credentials? I doubt it.

All I'm saying is that I prefer the way the Wings do it, keeping it very exclusive.

That guy didn't even finish his career there, had some of his best years on another team entirely.

All I'm saying is that I prefer the way the Wings do it, keeping it very exclusive.

That guy didn't even finish his career there, had some of his best years on another team entirely.

He'd make the rafters on most teams.

Just because the Wings might or might not retire a player like that doesn't mean other teams have to do it the same way.

He'd make the rafters on most teams.

Just because the Wings might or might not retire a player like that doesn't mean other teams have to do it the same way.

Didnt say they did. All I said was I like it the other way. Sheesh.

if it wasn't for Nicklas Lidstrom, he would of won a couple more Norris trophies. Personally, I don't understand how you can't NOT retire his number. He was every bit as important to those Stanley Cup teams in New Jersey as the other two guys. That's arguable, but I think it's true.

- on another note, it's kind of weird to see them retiring his number. just because last year, I could swear that I saw Mike Mottau wearing #27 for the Devils. Kind of odd how they let somebody wear a number that they were going to retire...while they waited for that guy who wore that number to retire first.

- if he was a Red Wing, he'd still be going to the rafters.

This was a huge gripe of mine as well.

He won two Stanley Cups when Rafalski was there and I'd even say Rafalski, while at New jersey, was better than him, stats be damned.

Edited by Konnan511

if it wasn't for Nicklas Lidstrom, he would of won a couple more Norris trophies.

That may be true, Niedermayer was on the all-rookie and then wasn't a 1st team all-star until his Norris year and has only been a first team all-star twice since, both with the Ducks.

He's had a HHOF career, and at points was instrumental in the success of the Devils, team canada, and the Ducks.

In the 90's there was no way he was going to beat or was better than:

Chelios

Coffey

Stevens

Bourque

Leetch

MacInnis

In the 2000s I'd rank these guys higher than Nieds, in no order except the first:

Lidstrom

Chara

Pronger

Rafalski

Nieds might be the best International player that i have, though.

Edited by Konnan511

This was a huge gripe of mine as well.

He won two Stanley Cups when Rafalski was there and I'd even say Rafalski, while at New jersey, was better than him, stats be damned.

LOL.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say Rafalski has never been better than Niedermayer. Both guys are known predominantly as offensive defensemen, but Niedermayer is one of the best offensive defensemen ever.

If he played in the 80's, he'd have the same kind of monster stats some of the d-men in that era had, especially with his speed.

Rafalski was good in Jersey, but not as important as Niedermayer or Stevens.

What do you mean his best years on another team entirely... Did you watch hockey when he played with the Devils? It sounds to me like you are just identifying him with the Ducks because he, and the Ducks have been a recent thorn in our side. I think if he were a Wing they would retire his number, as long as he left on good terms. Maybe not right away like some like Lidstrom but down the road. I fully expect the Wings to one day retire Shanahan and Fedorov, albeit much later down the road. Chelios arguably played his best hockey in Chicago but both MTL and Chicago will probably retire his number.

What do you mean his best years on another team entirely... Did you watch hockey when he played with the Devils? It sounds to me like you are just identifying him with the Ducks because he, and the Ducks have been a recent thorn in our side. I think if he were a Wing they would retire his number, as long as he left on good terms. Maybe not right away like some like Lidstrom but down the road. I fully expect the Wings to one day retire Shanahan and Fedorov, albeit much later down the road. Chelios arguably played his best hockey in Chicago but both MTL and Chicago will probably retire his number.

Yes I watched hockey in the 90s. Look it up. Some of his better years were on the Ducks, not opinion, fact.

You expect them to retire Shanny and Feds number? Not gonna happen for either.

Yes I watched hockey in the 90s. Look it up. Some of his better years were on the Ducks, not opinion, fact.

His best offensive years were with the Ducks by a long shot and that is also when he made the All-Star teams. His best years really were with the Ducks and the "Mighty" Ducks :P

If they retired Danyeko's number, they're sure as hell gunna retire Niedermeyer. Obviously Brodeur will join them, and probly Elias, then I guess they'll be done with the retirements thing.

Don't go just by points as in his NJ days he didn't have a lot of freedom to play offensive.