• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

This Day in Wings History

Rate this topic

Ironic that we should be playing the Preds tonight, because it was 7 years ago today when we had that infamous 9 fight game against them.

I didn't watch the game, but I remember seeing highlights of it on the ESPN post game show, and feeling awful that I missed that game. Also, I remember being in disbelief that we had a game like that. Even then the Wings weren't fighting that much, so I was shocked that we were a part of it.

What stands out for me in the highlights are the 2 great toe to toe McCarty fights and the Fischer beating of Hartnell. I've tried posting a video of some of the action.

Also, we played them in the playoffs that year, so I think it's fair to say this is where the hatred and divison rivalry started.

Edited by GMRwings1983

They had more fights in that game alone than the entire 05/06 season.

Stevie got thrown out of the game too IIRC.

Yep, at around the 3:30 mark of the video. He looked pissed.

I don't recognize the color commentary guy, BTW.

I guess the video doesn't have the Fischer fight, which is kind of a bummer.

Edited by GMRwings1983

They had more fights in that game alone than the entire 05/06 season.

Stevie got thrown out of the game too IIRC.

That was SEVEN years ago? Where has my youth gone? wtf.

Like you, I missed the game at the time, but luckily I other saw an extensive replay or maybe my brother taped it. Can't say I remember how the score turned out, but that video sure is fun to watch. We had such an awesome group in those years.

Thanks for posting!

I don't recognize the color commentary guy, BTW.

I guess the video doesn't have the Fischer fight, which is kind of a bummer.

I believe it is Murphy doing the commentary.

And Yzerman was completely screwed by the refs that night. He was not happy about the way things were getting called at all and I don't blame him.

Was that part of some sort of policy to get thrown out after a couple unsportsmanlike calls or what? Or was that more like a baseball skipper getting thrown out for being too "in your face"?

Was that part of some sort of policy to get thrown out after a couple unsportsmanlike calls or what? Or was that more like a baseball skipper getting thrown out for being too "in your face"?

If you throw enough expletives at the refs face then you will get booted for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Roy got booted for chucking his stick across the ice after getting scored on in a penalty shot.

If you throw enough expletives at the refs face then you will get booted for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Roy got booted for chucking his stick across the ice after getting scored on in a penalty shot.

Well, I mean, who wouldn't kick him out after all that? You can't reward that kind of behavior by letting him stay in the game.