• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Mattias Ritola scores first NHL goal

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Thread full of hyperbole. An ex-Wing scores his first NHL goal and people get all sensitive. I see nothing wrong keeping tabs on a guy in his first NHL season after Red Wings / Grand Rapids Griffins drafted and developed him.

And my Modano comment really has nothing to do with Ritola, I'd rather Abdelkader/Hudler in over Modano. Modano's best years are behind him. He's the weak link on the 3rd line. I currently like the 4th line better than the 3rd line.

Corrected that for ya, unless you meant 10 years ago.

The game where he got the assist was great for him, where he dangle the Blue Jacket's players to hit each other, then passed it and in it went. There's your one.

Name a play in which Modano fired the puck on net instead of pass it, other than his goal. All his shots, when he does, have been very weak.

Oh yeah, that one game where he did that one thing one time.

Got a video? And great, he had an assist. I heard Leino had a goal or two when he was here.

FIRE KENNY!

Guest Heaten

Oh yeah, that one game where he did that one thing one time.

Got a video? And great, he had an assist. I heard Leino had a goal or two when he was here.

FIRE KENNY!

Ritola isn't going to ever be a high octane offensive player. He's an all around solid player that is tenacious to play against. Unfortunately for him, he blew his chance to crack the line up when he was injured (or sick - can't remember the dilemma) during pre-season. He never really had his shot due to an unfortunate chain of events.

This isn't about Leino who is only effective if he's putting up numbers. Ritola isn't that type of player. He's virtually a Filppula 2.0; someone who would help make that 3rd minus's not be so bad. He's strong on the puck and sees the ice well. I was excited to see how well he would have meshed with Cleary and Hudler because the kid has eyes on the back of his head and can hold on to the puck like Flip and Dats for to make a smart pass. Who knows, he 'could' be the missing element on that line. But we'll never know. One thing I do know, that line would be better defensively if he was centering it.

But you are right, Ritola is no Ovechkin or Crosby; he's a Filppula light.

Edited by Heaten

Matthias scored two goals in his first game with the Panthers. He turned out to be a lemon. You're being absolutely hysterical. Calm down.

Lol a lemon? He's a 22yr old 6'3" blazing fast young player scoring goals for his team as we speak. I wish all lemons were like that.

Edited by Pucks

This isn't about Leino who is only effective if he's putting up numbers. Ritola isn't that type of player. He's virtually a Filppula 2.0; someone who would help make that 3rd minus's not be so bad. He's strong on the puck and sees the ice well.

I actually liked him better than Leino and he also didn't run his mouth for ice time like Leino did either. :thumbup:

esteef

Guest Crymson

Lol a lemon? He's a 22yr old 6'3" blazing fast young player scoring goals for his team as we speak. I wish all lemons were like that.

Correction: He has played all of 82 NHL games over four seasons, and he has scored all of 11 goals and 13 assists in that period. Two of those 11 goals came in his first game as a Panther, way back in '07-'08.

I very much disapprove of people who, despite having done no research whatsoever on the subject matter, make impassioned claims in discussions.

Edited by Crymson

Correction: He has played all of 82 NHL games over four seasons, and he has scored all of 11 goals and 13 assists in that period. Two of those 11 goals came in his first game as a Panther, way back in '07-'08.

I very much disapprove of people who, despite having done no research whatsoever on the subject matter, make impassioned claims in discussions.

Umm... what?

Are you talking about someone else? Ritola has not played 82 games...

How long have you been waiting to post this thread?

Are you trying to prove something?

We have plenty of other prospects that are better then him right now and they still have minor league options.

One factor I think a lot of people are looking over is the fact that Ritola is signed for 3 years at (nearly) league minimum. Ritola for 3 years @~$500k per is a STEAL.

I have to admit, I was happy about the Modo signing, but never did I want to lose Ritola (waive Miller instead). Now, I am pretty depressed about Modo's play, he is just not motivated. He will be benched if he plays like this in the playoffs.

The problem wasn't signing Modano (who I know will be fine with some more time) which pushed Ritola out... it was signing Miller and keeping him over Ritola. I have nothing against Miller but he's nothing but a plug. I'd have taken the chance on Ritola and let Miller loose... Ritloa could have at the very least been the same as Miller but he will turn out to be more.

Miller has 1 assist and a -4 in 9 games

Ritola has a Goal and Assist and a - 2 in 4 games

The problem wasn't signing Modano (who I know will be fine with some more time) which pushed Ritola out... it was signing Miller and keeping him over Ritola. I have nothing against Miller but he's nothing but a plug. I'd have taken the chance on Ritola and let Miller loose... Ritloa could have at the very least been the same as Miller but he will turn out to be more.

Miller has 1 assist and a -4 in 9 games

Ritola has a Goal and Assist and a - 2 in 4 games

What makes you think Miller has less upside than Ritola?

What evidence makes you think Ritola is a better pker/4th line than Miller?

Yeah man, cause at 22, Matthias certainly has no upside and won't get any better from here on in. 4 points in 7 games, what a dud!

Ritola isn't going to ever be a high octane offensive player. He's an all around solid player that is tenacious to play against. Unfortunately for him, he blew his chance to crack the line up when he was injured (or sick - can't remember the dilemma) during pre-season. He never really had his shot due to an unfortunate chain of events.

This isn't about Leino who is only effective if he's putting up numbers. Ritola isn't that type of player. He's virtually a Filppula 2.0; someone who would help make that 3rd minus's not be so bad. He's strong on the puck and sees the ice well. I was excited to see how well he would have meshed with Cleary and Hudler because the kid has eyes on the back of his head and can hold on to the puck like Flip and Dats for to make a smart pass. Who knows, he 'could' be the missing element on that line. But we'll never know. One thing I do know, that line would be better defensively if he was centering it.

But you are right, Ritola is no Ovechkin or Crosby; he's a Filppula light.

Great post mate, just like your other posts in this thread.

He's locked up for 3 years at virtually league minimum, now that's a bargain. I've been saying he's a poor man's Flip for a while now, they really are similar players. Ritola has good speed, he's got great hands and playmaking abilities, and he's developed his frame which allows him to make a physical impact. He's got that Datsyuk like ability to strip opponents of the puck too. He'll never be a star, and he'll probably never exceed 40 points, but the guy is solid in every aspect and it's a real shame we didn't give him a real shot to stick in Detroit.

Ok. Sometimes I'm literally shocked by how we get on LGW about certain players. Average, or less than average, 4th liners and 6th d-man get some major love around here.

Modano should have had a spot (at least before we got to see how disinterested he seems) over Ritola, period. His ring, style of play, and experiance made him a better option (even a better gamble, over Ritola's upside) for this years Cup run. This is what the Wings do and we all know it.

Personally, I don't and didn't care that we lost Ritola. Even if hew is V.Flip lite©, which I'm not sure many people would support that comparison, it's not like we have a shortage of those kind of players. In the system we got Joakim Andersson, Riley Sheahan, and Gustav Nyquist (three better than average two-way prospects, the first and last could play as early as next year). The second "tier" (which I would have included Ritola in) would include Corey Emmerton and possibly I.Flip, could play this year.

Ritola, at age 23, never had over 42 pts in GR, although he played less than 82 games in those years. He's straddling the line between prospect and depth player. And on the Wings, he should never play above the fourth line. Emmerton is essentially the same case.

This adds up to: Ritola wasn't special in any way, he could and will be easily replaced, and had no future with this team in any meaningful role. His window with the Wings was this year, a year in which Modano (in theory) is more valuable and has more potential to affect a single Cup run. Next year he probably would have been shipped off anyway.

He'll stand to get a much better chance to succeed in TB.

Edited by achildr1

I really hate this board sometimes... you need to break some eggs to make an omelet - we are 6-2-1 and off to a great start, but some posters here just want to look at the negatives... how horrible a life that must be to be such an eternal pessimist...

Would I have liked to keep Ritola and let him develop more? yes, but what needed to be done, was done. period.

Just root for him in TB and accept that Holland and co. made a tough decision that needed to be made.

Wow bro maybe you should use your head before you post again. Lets compare your so called lemon Shawn Matthias with I don't know how about Abdelkader?

Last year in the NHL

Shawn Matthias

Panthers

55 7 9 16 -3 22yrs old

Justin Abdelkader

Red Wings

50 3 3 6 -11 23yrs old

So by your brilliant deduction Abdelkader would also be a Lemon? Neither player has even played a full 82 game season yet.

* Sorry everyone this is off topic but you can blame crysomuch for jumping on the OMGZORZ he doesn't play for the Wings anymore so he must SUCKZOR train!

Edited by Pucks

3 pages on some 4th liner how could possible make the jump to the third line? So much man crash in this thread.

It's just like the Quincey thing all over again. They are gone because they couldn't beat out our scrubs. Why would you even second guess Ken Holland and Babcock on this one?

Guest Crymson

Aussie, you're really off your rocker on this issue. Just look at your post: "RITOLA NOW HAS ONE GOAL AND ONE ASSIST WITH THE LIGHTNING!!!!!!! HOLLAND, YOU'RE A MORON FOR PICKING MODANO OVER THIS GUY!!!!" Do you see anything wrong with that?

Wow bro maybe you should use your head before you post again. Lets compare your so called lemon Shawn Matthias with I don't know how about Abdelkader?

Last year in the NHL

Shawn Matthias

Panthers

55 7 9 16 -3 22yrs old

Justin Abdelkader

Red Wings

50 3 3 6 -11 23yrs old

So by your brilliant deduction Abdelkader would also be a Lemon? Neither player has even played a full 82 game season yet.

Ah, yes. Was Abdelkader meant to be a scorer? Nope. He was projected to be a grinder who would chip in some goals. This fits with his stats last year: he had 152 hits, good for 66th in the league, in only 50 games. Matthias was projected to be a legitimate scoring power forward. His scoring stats were hardly leagues above those of Abdelkader, and he racked up only 57 hits.

My point is that many threw a fit when he scored his first two goals, too; that was three seasons ago, he hasn't shown any significant development since, and he'd sure as hell not have been playing on the Wings` roster in these last three seasons.

I maintain that your description of Matthias as a "6'3, blazing-fast power forward who is scoring goals for his team as we speak" is hyperbole.

* Sorry everyone this is off topic but you can blame crysomuch for jumping on the OMGZORZ he doesn't play for the Wings anymore so he must SUCKZOR train!

I sense some anger. What's wrong?

Edited by Crymson

What makes you think Miller has less upside than Ritola?

What evidence makes you think Ritola is a better pker/4th line than Miller?

Miller has been floating around the NHL for the last 5 years for 3 different teams and Ritola hasn't even been given a fair shake as far as I see. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and gamble a bit, in this instance I would have done it by keeping Ritola and cutting Miller loose and I would done so with the confidence that at the very least Ritola would have been an equal replacement and could be more... It would have been a very safe bet and could produce some surprising rewards.

Guest Crymson

Miller has been floating around the NHL for the last 5 years for 3 different teams and Ritola hasn't even been given a fair shake as far as I see. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and gamble a bit, in this instance I would have done it by keeping Ritola and cutting Miller loose and I would done so with the confidence that at the very least Ritola would have been an equal replacement and could be more... It would have been a very safe bet and could produce some surprising rewards.

And people are acting as if this matters with this 4th-liner are vital. It makes me laugh to see the outright perfectionism that so many years of success and competent GMing have made of so many people on these boards. Holland may make mistakes, sure; but he makes less of them than any other GM in the league, and that still doesn't stop a lot of people here from self-righteously crying bloody murder every time a minor one is made. And in this instance, there's no way at this stage telling if keeping Ritola would have been the better bet. Further, we know nothing of the factors that went on behind the scenes.

Edited by Crymson

But Miller has proven at the very least he's been a contributer on a Stanley Cup contending team. And he outworked Ritola in training camp.

Ritola would have an incredibly hard time trying to secure a scoring future for the Red Wings, he was battling for a pk role and Miller was better. Ritola might turn out to be a better scorer, but I really doubt he will be a better pker/4th liner this year.

It's the salary cap era, you are going to lose decent players, especially when the Wings are as deep as they are.

I just don't see how Ritola's offensive upside is more important than Miller's defensive upside that's he already proven many times at the NHL level.

Not to mention Miller had comparable numbers to Ritola in the AHL, I don't get why you think Ritola has a higher upside offensively than Miller anyways.

But Miller has proven at the very least he's been a contributer on a Stanley Cup contending team. And he outworked Ritola in training camp.

Ritola would have an incredibly hard time trying to secure a scoring future for the Red Wings, he was battling for a pk role and Miller was better. Ritola might turn out to be a better scorer, but I really doubt he will be a better pker/4th liner this year.

It's the salary cap era, you are going to lose decent players, especially when the Wings are as deep as they are.

I just don't see how Ritola's offensive upside is more important than Miller's defensive upside that's he already proven many times at the NHL level.

Not to mention Miller had comparable numbers to Ritola in the AHL, I don't get why you think Ritola has a higher upside offensively than Miller anyways.

ex-freaking-actly!