#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,153&event=PHX328

Pure powerforward.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#22 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

It's not like everybody hates Ritola, there was just no room for him. If we could've kept him we would have. Good luck to him.

esteef

After the announcement of Wings signing Modano, my first thought wasn't cool, a super star to center the 3rd line, it was "my god, I hope we don't have to lose Ritola".... I was honestly looking forward to seeing this kid play this year even if it was the 10th forward until he bumped someone out of the lineup (which probably would have been sooner than later).

I could accept losing Miller, but I really didn't want to see Ritola being the odd man out. Before anyone jumps me for saying this, I've seen something in Ritola for a few years now. I think the kid would make a solid 3rd liner that can score 12-15 goals per year (but more of a play maker). he strong on the puck, can dangle and is tenacious like Filppula on take ways and checks. He's a genuine hard worker with great hockey sense, great puck skills, great skating and strong along the boards.

I never really cared much for Quicey or Leino. Ritola was actually the guy I have been more excited about over even Helm and Abby... just because I think this kid's upside is so much higher.

That said, I am happy to see Yzerman take him for his team than Ducks, Pens or Chicago getting him. I hope he does well for them and I hope to see threads pop up about the mistake Holland made waiving him instead of avoiding Modano or waiving Miller instead. Modano's contract doesn't look so good to me. I think that cap hit could have been better used in other places (injury call ups for example).

That said, I am not a GM... or a hockey coach. So I have no real qualifications to know what's best for this team. Bring the cup back home where it belongs so I feel better about all this. That's all.

#23 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

Ritola scored a goal. Fire Kenny.

I heard Knuble scored a couple goals since the Wings released him. Another epic failure and stain on this organization.
  • Ram likes this

#24 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

Pure powerforward.

Lol. I hope Ritola does well but lets not go crazy.

Edited by Broken 16, 31 October 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#25 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Wow he scored a junk goal. Its not like he went end to end beating every man on the ice. It was more of Bryz letting in a weak goal than it was Ritola doing anything special. He had no future with the Wings. This is not a Ritola hate post. Its the nature of the business that is salary cap hockey. Its easy to play Monday morning quarterback on moves but how about ya wait until he does something more than be the recipient of a gift goal to overreact.

#26 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thread full of hyperbole. An ex-Wing scores his first NHL goal and people get all sensitive. I see nothing wrong keeping tabs on a guy in his first NHL season after Red Wings / Grand Rapids Griffins drafted and developed him.

And my Modano comment really has nothing to do with Ritola, I'd rather Abdelkader/Hudler in over Modano. Modano's best years are behind him. He's the weak link on the 3rd line. I currently like the 4th line better than the 3rd line.

#27 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

Corrected that for ya, unless you meant 10 years ago.

The game where he got the assist was great for him, where he dangle the Blue Jacket's players to hit each other, then passed it and in it went. There's your one.

Name a play in which Modano fired the puck on net instead of pass it, other than his goal. All his shots, when he does, have been very weak.

Oh yeah, that one game where he did that one thing one time.

Got a video? And great, he had an assist. I heard Leino had a goal or two when he was here.

FIRE KENNY!

Posted Image

#28 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

Oh yeah, that one game where he did that one thing one time.

Got a video? And great, he had an assist. I heard Leino had a goal or two when he was here.

FIRE KENNY!

Ritola isn't going to ever be a high octane offensive player. He's an all around solid player that is tenacious to play against. Unfortunately for him, he blew his chance to crack the line up when he was injured (or sick - can't remember the dilemma) during pre-season. He never really had his shot due to an unfortunate chain of events.

This isn't about Leino who is only effective if he's putting up numbers. Ritola isn't that type of player. He's virtually a Filppula 2.0; someone who would help make that 3rd minus's not be so bad. He's strong on the puck and sees the ice well. I was excited to see how well he would have meshed with Cleary and Hudler because the kid has eyes on the back of his head and can hold on to the puck like Flip and Dats for to make a smart pass. Who knows, he 'could' be the missing element on that line. But we'll never know. One thing I do know, that line would be better defensively if he was centering it.

But you are right, Ritola is no Ovechkin or Crosby; he's a Filppula light.

Edited by Heaten, 31 October 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#29 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Matthias scored two goals in his first game with the Panthers. He turned out to be a lemon. You're being absolutely hysterical. Calm down.

Lol a lemon? He's a 22yr old 6'3" blazing fast young player scoring goals for his team as we speak. I wish all lemons were like that.

Edited by Pucks, 31 October 2010 - 03:43 PM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#30 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

This isn't about Leino who is only effective if he's putting up numbers. Ritola isn't that type of player. He's virtually a Filppula 2.0; someone who would help make that 3rd minus's not be so bad. He's strong on the puck and sees the ice well.

I actually liked him better than Leino and he also didn't run his mouth for ice time like Leino did either. :thumbup:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Lol a lemon? He's a 22yr old 6'3" blazing fast young player scoring goals for his team as we speak. I wish all lemons were like that.

Correction: He has played all of 82 NHL games over four seasons, and he has scored all of 11 goals and 13 assists in that period. Two of those 11 goals came in his first game as a Panther, way back in '07-'08.

I very much disapprove of people who, despite having done no research whatsoever on the subject matter, make impassioned claims in discussions.

Edited by Crymson, 31 October 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#32 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Correction: He has played all of 82 NHL games over four seasons, and he has scored all of 11 goals and 13 assists in that period. Two of those 11 goals came in his first game as a Panther, way back in '07-'08.

I very much disapprove of people who, despite having done no research whatsoever on the subject matter, make impassioned claims in discussions.

Umm... what?

Are you talking about someone else? Ritola has not played 82 games...
Posted Image

#33 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

Umm... what?

Are you talking about someone else? Ritola has not played 82 games...

They were talking about Matthias.

#34 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

How long have you been waiting to post this thread?
Are you trying to prove something?

We have plenty of other prospects that are better then him right now and they still have minor league options.

#35 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

One factor I think a lot of people are looking over is the fact that Ritola is signed for 3 years at (nearly) league minimum. Ritola for 3 years @~$500k per is a STEAL.

I have to admit, I was happy about the Modo signing, but never did I want to lose Ritola (waive Miller instead). Now, I am pretty depressed about Modo's play, he is just not motivated. He will be benched if he plays like this in the playoffs.

#36 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Good for Ritola :thumbup: I hope he does well
IPB Image

#37 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

They were talking about Matthias.

Ah, got it.
Posted Image

#38 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

The problem wasn't signing Modano (who I know will be fine with some more time) which pushed Ritola out... it was signing Miller and keeping him over Ritola. I have nothing against Miller but he's nothing but a plug. I'd have taken the chance on Ritola and let Miller loose... Ritloa could have at the very least been the same as Miller but he will turn out to be more.

Miller has 1 assist and a -4 in 9 games
Ritola has a Goal and Assist and a - 2 in 4 games

#39 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

The problem wasn't signing Modano (who I know will be fine with some more time) which pushed Ritola out... it was signing Miller and keeping him over Ritola. I have nothing against Miller but he's nothing but a plug. I'd have taken the chance on Ritola and let Miller loose... Ritloa could have at the very least been the same as Miller but he will turn out to be more.

Miller has 1 assist and a -4 in 9 games
Ritola has a Goal and Assist and a - 2 in 4 games

What makes you think Miller has less upside than Ritola?

What evidence makes you think Ritola is a better pker/4th line than Miller?

#40 elriqo28

elriqo28

head tap!

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

I love reading your useless banter. It makes me laugh.