• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Reilly

So does anyone else hope Lidstrom comes back next season?

Rate this topic

Guest screwdahawks

I dread the day he retires. Last season wasn't his best but he was and is better than 98% of the defensemen in the league and it's debatable about the other 2% .

Edited by screwdahawks

I wouldn't mind him getting another 7 million, 1 year contract. He's clearly worth it. He's one of those rare players who is contemplating retirement LONG before it's actually necessary. He's the best defenseman on the team and I don't see this changing by season's end. And he's not going to start sucking if he hasn't yet over next summer. So hell yes throw another big money contract at him.

Although, as usual, taking a hometown discount would be much appreciated.

So, let's say he wins the Norris this year, anyone have a problem offering him another one-year, $7 million contract?

I don't. Although, let's say we win the Cup this year!? I definitely don't see him returning next year no matter the price....

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Well, he's playing as the best DMan in the league at this moment, so as long as he plays as a top 5 DMan I don't mind. I know we all rip on Rafalski, but look what happened to our D when he went out, when Lidstrom goes we're gunna be F'd unless we get someone just a tier below lidstrom.

He can play as long as he wants.

Mainly because he doesn't want to play if he can't do it at a high level.

This is it. Unlike some pro quarterbacks, he is very aware of his level of ability to help his team. I think if he has another good year, he'll be back. Unless he has some hidden aches and pains he doesn't think he can "fix". We are so lucky to have had him play with Detroit all these years. But you all know that. :)

Absolutely. Uncle Nick still has it. He probably always will.

However, I think his desire to raise his kids in Sweden will make this his last hurrah, Cup or no Cup. (Hopefully with a Cup)

I agree

btw who is that on your display?

If you're a Wings fan and you don't want Lidstrom back, it's time to get your head examined. He's easily still one of the top 5-6 D-men in the league (currently playing like #1).

This.

His game doesn't require great athleticism, it's pretty much 98% brains and hockey IQ. Keep him in skates until he slips enough that he's not gonna make our roster.

So, let's say he wins the Norris this year, anyone have a problem offering him another one-year, $7 million contract?

I wouldn't have a personal problem with it, but I don't think it would help the salary cap situation one bit. If they win the cup, I think he would retire. If they don't and he plays at a high level, I wouldn't be surprised if he came back making slightly more than Rafalski like he did this year. Either way, I think next year would be his last before the possible uncertainty of the labor situation.