• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Goals scored per game.

Rate this topic

Goals scored per game.  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Shoreline

I don't like PC answers, but I don't care much about the score in terms of numbers, and I don't think artificially inflating goals will inherently make a better product.

Certainly the NHL is better without the clutch and grab era that bogged the game down in the several years preceding the lockout, and it was their fault in the first place for not enforcing rules concerning clutch and grab, but I'm highly confused at the notion that more goals = exciting game. More often than not, from experience, I've tended to like higher scoring games because they were exciting and back and forth, showcasing a lot of talent, but that was due to both teams' strategy and not rules made to artificially up a score. On the other hand, some of the best games I ever saw were like 1-0 or 2-1 or 3-2.

I think the NHL would be better off simply doing a better job marketing their game with the product they now have on the ice instead of constantly changing making big changes to a sport they didn't invent to begin with. If anything, the more big changes they make, the less I want to watch the NHL.

Edited by Shoreline

I long for the days when the games were 7-5, 8-4, etc. I remember a Wings game in '87 where they beat the Blackhawks 12-0.

Don't get me wrong, when there is wide open play and the goalies are playing out of this world, those are great games too!

Guest CaliWingsNut

1-0 games are best when they are the exception rather than the norm.

You don't need a 6+ goal game to make a 1-0 game special. It's more about who's playing that game, rather than the score, that makes it special.

For example, a 1-0 game between Florida & Buffalo is not likely to be that special. Neither team is amazingly good, therefore it's a lack of ability preventing scoring. In contrast, a 1-0 game between Detroit and Chicago will be much more exciting, since both have many good scoring players and there's an emotional attachment for many viewers.

I'd rather have a bunch of close low scoring games, than a bunch of blowouts.

You don't need a 6+ goal game to make a 1-0 game special. It's more about who's playing that game, rather than the score, that makes it special.

For example, a 1-0 game between Florida & Buffalo is not likely to be that special. Neither team is amazingly good, therefore it's a lack of ability preventing scoring. In contrast, a 1-0 game between Detroit and Chicago will be much more exciting, since both have many good scoring players and there's an emotional attachment for many viewers.

:thumbup: agree 100%

I'd rather have a bunch close high scoring games. Nobody said they had to be blowouts. Barnburners are always more memorable.

I agree. Too many times the high-scoring games are one-sided. I prefer the low scoring (and thus close) games. While I loves goals, a close game is always more exciting than a blowout IMO. High scoring, close games are also good, but I would imagine most games with 6+ goals are won by a margin greater than one.

I would have the Wings win every game Infinity to one if I could choose.

Maybe it'll get old every now and again but I'd rather have that feeling than the feeling you have after a loss. It really is the worst.

Close games may be thrilling every now and again but winning is a bigger thrill to me.

I love goal scoring obviously, but I'd go with low-scoring games. I'm still a strong believer of defense winning championships in pretty much any sport. Defense alone obviously doesn't win, but we need to look no further than our own 2008 Stanley Cup Championship where we pretty much limited Pittsburgh's two top goal scoring stars in a 7-game series to not have much impact.