• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

This might be a little drastic btu I think a roster move along these lines would really help our team in the long run.

Our third line and the Devils have had a really slow start to the season

I'm saying a trade along the lines of Hudler for Clarkson and maybe a third could give us the energy we seem to lack some nights. We could build more of a grind line type third line like we had back in the day and in our 08 cup run with Drake Maltby and Draper if I remember correctly. With the way Modano and Hudler have been playing we're not going to get the points out of them like we thought we would. Move Modano down to the 4th line if need be and do aline up like this

DZH

BFF

Clarkson Abby Cleary

Modano Helm Eaves

I know its kind of crazy but that line needs a spark bad. Clarkson and Hudler have similar salaries and are the same age. Clarkson, Abby and Cleary are all capable of 20ish goals I think so we would still get some offense.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#2 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

Reasonable modano would be better served on the 3rd line unless abby starts showing a consistent scoring touch

#3 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:19 PM

i think modano would put helm and eaves to sleep with his play. not what you'd ideally want from your 4th line energy guys.

#4 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

trading a 50+ point guy for a 30 point agitator? ya this is serious and won't turn into an enforcer vs no enforcer debate :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#5 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

I don't think trades should really ever be made of roster players when you're winning and especially not once the season is already going - you don't mess with locker room chemisty... so I'm going to have to say no under these circumstances at this time...

if you had brought this up in the off season though, I probably would have been all for it... I love Hudles and would hate to see him go, but I LOVE Clarkson's game and think his game is VASTLY underrated, he's not just a goon or even a 4th liner, the guy has genuine power forward skills and adds some snarl as well... but once again, we do not to even be THINKING about trades right now.

Edited by stevkrause, 02 November 2010 - 12:04 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#6 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

Anyway we can throw in Modano to sweeten the deal?

#7 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

if you wanna trade anyone get rid of modano

#8 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

I would trade right away Hudler for Clarkson.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#9 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

trading a 50+ point guy for a 30 point agitator? ya this is serious and won't turn into an enforcer vs no enforcer debate :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,293 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Pass.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#11 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

I don't think trades should really ever be made of roster players when you're winning and especially not once the season is already going - you don't mess with locker room chemisty... so I'm going to have to say no under these circumstances at this time...

if you had brought this up in the off season though, I probably would have been all for it... I love Hudles and would hate to see him go, but I LOVE Clarkson's game and think his game is VASTLY underrated, he's not just a goon or even a 4th liner, the guy has genuine power forward skills and adds some snarl as well... but once again, we do not to even be THINKING about trades right now.

+1

He has a good point. We are winning and we have no reason to trade anyone away. Let's see what the lines do with Abby back and then we can talk about trades. We are winning and that's the bottom line...trading now would jeopardize the positive direction the Wings are going in imho
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#12 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Is Hudler a 50 point guy anymore if he isn't playing on a stacked powerplay like he was back when the wings were absolutely dominant?

Clarkson and Hudler both score around the same amount of goals but Clarkson could be part of a grind line like line with Abdelkader whereas Hudler is just getting pushed around out there.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#13 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

No. No. No.

(per Wikipedia) June 30, 2010 - Re-signed by the New Jersey Devils for three years for $2 million the first year and $3 million for the second and third year, with a total cap hit of $2.6 million.

1. We don't need that big of a contract for a third line enforcer type, although he may have 50 point potential (per THN)
2. I'm gonna imagine that 50 pts for him would only happen playing consistantly on the top 2 lines, something he would not do here.
3. Hudler's upside, which he has come closer to realizing than Clarkson, is 70 pts
4. It's 9 games into the season, chill out!

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

I think Modano is the problem on the third line, not Hudler or CLeary. Cleary and Hudler are going to the dirty areas, they're working hard and both are taking shots and making things happen. The points will follow eventually. Modano...I can barely remember any shots he's taken, except that when he does take a shot it's usually a weak shot from the point. He's almost never where he needs to be or where he would be of use, whereas Hudler and Cleary are all over the ice.

I'm not so ready to give up on Hudler just yet.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

Pro-Fighters = "Yes yes yes, do it ZOMG spunk-spew, so much toughness is teh sex!!!!"

Pro-Skill = "Hudlers potential is a better option, plus he will put up more points"

Everyone else = "Meh, we're winning and Hudler has better potential"
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#16 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm sorry to be off topic but I just realized that the 2nd lines initials are BFF, in which bert and frazen are about butt buddies now.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#17 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Pro-Fighters = "Yes yes yes, do it ZOMG spunk-spew, so much toughness is teh sex!!!!"

Pro-Skill = "Hudlers potential is a better option, plus he will put up more points"

Everyone else = "Meh, we're winning and Hudler has better potential"

I guess I'm just not sold on Hudlers potential. He's so weak out there I dont see him ever being able to put up huge numbers because of it, he cant win puck battles and is ineffective anywhere near the net.

I'm also not sold on having a skilled third line that can't produce, something has to change eventually or we're gonna have a season where our third line is our weak link. All the other lines have great chemistry and are producing so it seems dumb to shake that up from within the organization because it could mess with the other lines clicking.

The question is I guess... Does anyone see this line contributing in the playoffs at all?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

I guess I'm just not sold on Hudlers potential. He's so weak out there I dont see him ever being able to put up huge numbers because of it, he cant win puck battles and is ineffective anywhere near the net.

I'm also not sold on having a skilled third line that can't produce, something has to change eventually or we're gonna have a season where our third line is our weak link. All the other lines have great chemistry and are producing so it seems dumb to shake that up from within the organization because it could mess with the other lines clicking.

The question is I guess... Does anyone see this line contributing in the playoffs at all?

The thing is, for me and what I've read, is that it takes a long time to build chemistry. Datsyuk and Zetterberg both said that this was the first time they both played with each other in the preseason and it really helped them to click early, and this is the first time in a while, that i can remember, that both have not been slow starters. Coincidence that they finally played together in the preseason and are both putting up numbers early and often?

The third line never got to play together in the preseason because one or more of them were injured. I give them until 15 games to see if they will produce and build that chemistry. If they don't, then some of that salary needs to be allocated.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#19 RedWingskiddo

RedWingskiddo

blue eyed red wing lady

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:59 PM

what if we switched our third and fourth lines? Put eaves cleary and helm as third line. Roll hudler, modano and abby down. Unless modano decides he wants to contribute some time this year, I don't think he is gonna be useful. I think hulder would do better with someone on the first two lines though. Hudler has big potential but nothing happens on a sleeper line like the current one he is on
HUDLER!
all-star game is in raleigh.. which means you will witness the most weekend canes fans EVER.

#20 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

I kinda agree with the above statement. However I don't think Babs would even consider doing that. Modano needs to get his but in gear. Kinda think Draper might be taking over his spot if things don't improve...