• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Trade proposal

Rate this topic

This might be a little drastic btu I think a roster move along these lines would really help our team in the long run.

Our third line and the Devils have had a really slow start to the season

I'm saying a trade along the lines of Hudler for Clarkson and maybe a third could give us the energy we seem to lack some nights. We could build more of a grind line type third line like we had back in the day and in our 08 cup run with Drake Maltby and Draper if I remember correctly. With the way Modano and Hudler have been playing we're not going to get the points out of them like we thought we would. Move Modano down to the 4th line if need be and do aline up like this

DZH

BFF

Clarkson Abby Cleary

Modano Helm Eaves

I know its kind of crazy but that line needs a spark bad. Clarkson and Hudler have similar salaries and are the same age. Clarkson, Abby and Cleary are all capable of 20ish goals I think so we would still get some offense.

I don't think trades should really ever be made of roster players when you're winning and especially not once the season is already going - you don't mess with locker room chemisty... so I'm going to have to say no under these circumstances at this time...

if you had brought this up in the off season though, I probably would have been all for it... I love Hudles and would hate to see him go, but I LOVE Clarkson's game and think his game is VASTLY underrated, he's not just a goon or even a 4th liner, the guy has genuine power forward skills and adds some snarl as well... but once again, we do not to even be THINKING about trades right now.

Edited by stevkrause

I don't think trades should really ever be made of roster players when you're winning and especially not once the season is already going - you don't mess with locker room chemisty... so I'm going to have to say no under these circumstances at this time...

if you had brought this up in the off season though, I probably would have been all for it... I love Hudles and would hate to see him go, but I LOVE Clarkson's game and think his game is VASTLY underrated, he's not just a goon or even a 4th liner, the guy has genuine power forward skills and adds some snarl as well... but once again, we do not to even be THINKING about trades right now.

+1

He has a good point. We are winning and we have no reason to trade anyone away. Let's see what the lines do with Abby back and then we can talk about trades. We are winning and that's the bottom line...trading now would jeopardize the positive direction the Wings are going in imho

trading a 50+ point guy for a 30 point agitator? ya this is serious and won't turn into an enforcer vs no enforcer debate :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is Hudler a 50 point guy anymore if he isn't playing on a stacked powerplay like he was back when the wings were absolutely dominant?

Clarkson and Hudler both score around the same amount of goals but Clarkson could be part of a grind line like line with Abdelkader whereas Hudler is just getting pushed around out there.

No. No. No.

(per Wikipedia) June 30, 2010 - Re-signed by the New Jersey Devils for three years for $2 million the first year and $3 million for the second and third year, with a total cap hit of $2.6 million.

1. We don't need that big of a contract for a third line enforcer type, although he may have 50 point potential (per THN)

2. I'm gonna imagine that 50 pts for him would only happen playing consistantly on the top 2 lines, something he would not do here.

3. Hudler's upside, which he has come closer to realizing than Clarkson, is 70 pts

4. It's 9 games into the season, chill out!

I think Modano is the problem on the third line, not Hudler or CLeary. Cleary and Hudler are going to the dirty areas, they're working hard and both are taking shots and making things happen. The points will follow eventually. Modano...I can barely remember any shots he's taken, except that when he does take a shot it's usually a weak shot from the point. He's almost never where he needs to be or where he would be of use, whereas Hudler and Cleary are all over the ice.

I'm not so ready to give up on Hudler just yet.

Pro-Fighters = "Yes yes yes, do it ZOMG spunk-spew, so much toughness is teh sex!!!!"

Pro-Skill = "Hudlers potential is a better option, plus he will put up more points"

Everyone else = "Meh, we're winning and Hudler has better potential"

Pro-Fighters = "Yes yes yes, do it ZOMG spunk-spew, so much toughness is teh sex!!!!"

Pro-Skill = "Hudlers potential is a better option, plus he will put up more points"

I guess I'm just not sold on Hudlers potential. He's so weak out there I dont see him ever being able to put up huge numbers because of it, he cant win puck battles and is ineffective anywhere near the net.

I'm also not sold on having a skilled third line that can't produce, something has to change eventually or we're gonna have a season where our third line is our weak link. All the other lines have great chemistry and are producing so it seems dumb to shake that up from within the organization because it could mess with the other lines clicking.

The question is I guess... Does anyone see this line contributing in the playoffs at all?

I guess I'm just not sold on Hudlers potential. He's so weak out there I dont see him ever being able to put up huge numbers because of it, he cant win puck battles and is ineffective anywhere near the net.

I'm also not sold on having a skilled third line that can't produce, something has to change eventually or we're gonna have a season where our third line is our weak link. All the other lines have great chemistry and are producing so it seems dumb to shake that up from within the organization because it could mess with the other lines clicking.

The question is I guess... Does anyone see this line contributing in the playoffs at all?

The thing is, for me and what I've read, is that it takes a long time to build chemistry. Datsyuk and Zetterberg both said that this was the first time they both played with each other in the preseason and it really helped them to click early, and this is the first time in a while, that i can remember, that both have not been slow starters. Coincidence that they finally played together in the preseason and are both putting up numbers early and often?

The third line never got to play together in the preseason because one or more of them were injured. I give them until 15 games to see if they will produce and build that chemistry. If they don't, then some of that salary needs to be allocated.

what if we switched our third and fourth lines? Put eaves cleary and helm as third line. Roll hudler, modano and abby down. Unless modano decides he wants to contribute some time this year, I don't think he is gonna be useful. I think hulder would do better with someone on the first two lines though. Hudler has big potential but nothing happens on a sleeper line like the current one he is on

Guest Crymson

I think it's a bit early for you to be making this sort of judgment.

I think it's a bit early for you to be making this sort of judgment.

Well Cleary is the only one that looks to provide anything useful for playoffs. Even after 50 point seasons he ends up on the 4th line during playoffs. Modano is showing hes scared of physical play. This line will be the death of us come playoff time unless something changes

Guest Crymson

Well Cleary is the only one that looks to provide anything useful for playoffs. Even after 50 point seasons he ends up on the 4th line during playoffs.

He was on the 4th line last playoff season because he was injured, and he was on the 4th line in '06 because he hadn't really come into his own offensively yet. He was most certainly not on the 4th line in his other three playoff years here, and he was one of our most prolific goal-scorers in '09.

Modano is showing hes scared of physical play. This line will be the death of us come playoff time unless something changes

The team has played nine games. Relax!

Guest Heaten

I'm pro skill, but am all for trading Hudler for a gritty player that can score dirty nasty goals that can help toughen up the 3rd line. But it really doesn't make sense unless we can package Modano up to sweeten the deal...., for us. :ph34r: