• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

I guess I'm just not sold on Hudlers potential. He's so weak out there I dont see him ever being able to put up huge numbers because of it, he cant win puck battles and is ineffective anywhere near the net.

I'm also not sold on having a skilled third line that can't produce, something has to change eventually or we're gonna have a season where our third line is our weak link. All the other lines have great chemistry and are producing so it seems dumb to shake that up from within the organization because it could mess with the other lines clicking.

The question is I guess... Does anyone see this line contributing in the playoffs at all?

I think it's a bit early for you to be making this sort of judgment.

#22 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

I think it's a bit early for you to be making this sort of judgment.

Well Cleary is the only one that looks to provide anything useful for playoffs. Even after 50 point seasons he ends up on the 4th line during playoffs. Modano is showing hes scared of physical play. This line will be the death of us come playoff time unless something changes

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

Well Cleary is the only one that looks to provide anything useful for playoffs. Even after 50 point seasons he ends up on the 4th line during playoffs.

He was on the 4th line last playoff season because he was injured, and he was on the 4th line in '06 because he hadn't really come into his own offensively yet. He was most certainly not on the 4th line in his other three playoff years here, and he was one of our most prolific goal-scorers in '09.

Modano is showing hes scared of physical play. This line will be the death of us come playoff time unless something changes

The team has played nine games. Relax!

#24 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Pro-Fighters = "Yes yes yes, do it ZOMG spunk-spew, so much toughness is teh sex!!!!"

Pro-Skill = "Hudlers potential is a better option, plus he will put up more points"

Everyone else = "Meh, we're winning and Hudler has better potential"

I'm pro skill, but am all for trading Hudler for a gritty player that can score dirty nasty goals that can help toughen up the 3rd line. But it really doesn't make sense unless we can package Modano up to sweeten the deal...., for us. :ph34r:

#25 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

If Hudler does not pick it up I would hope they trade him. No reason to have a guy eating that much cap space and not performing, get a pick for him and be done with him.

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

If Hudler does not pick it up I would hope they trade him. No reason to have a guy eating that much cap space and not performing, get a pick for him and be done with him.

.... 9GP.

#27 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

.... 9GP.

...and?

I'm thinking trade deadline. Having someone with a $2.8M cap hit sitting is a waste.

#28 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Happy has been timid ever since the Brown hit. I think he is in a double funk and needs to get his scoring confidence as well as his balls back. If it takes too long, he will be tough to dump.

works every time

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

It'll probably take something drastic to snap them out of it, but it'll happen eventually.

I'm thinking an injury or something that bumps Hudler or Modano up to the 2nd line. That could get them going and carrying over when they go back to the third line.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

What makes you think Jersey would trade Clarkson so easily for some underachievers?

He does his job very well and has some skill to boot.

Also, Hudler wouldn't exactly be on their top line.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

I think this thread among others this season is a product of the eons between wings games... lets see the boys play already!

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

What makes you think Jersey would trade Clarkson so easily for some underachievers?

New Jersey is in shambles thats what, not saying they would for sure or anything but it could help both teams.

And I wouldn't mind seeing him traded sooner then later because Huds still probably considered a 50 point guy but if he keeps playing like this he'll have no value

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

through 8 games played, he has 3 points and is a -6..i realize its early..not on pace for the 50/60 points everyone was guaranteeing around here not too long ago..Clarkson is exactly what we need. Hard hitter, not afraid of anyone, and he brings a bit of an offensive presence. Ive been hoping kenny would ****** this guy ever since his rookie season.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#34 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

through 8 games played, he has 3 points and is a -6..i realize its early..not on pace for the 50/60 points everyone was guaranteeing around here not too long ago..Clarkson is exactly what we need. Hard hitter, not afraid of anyone, and he brings a bit of an offensive presence. Ive been hoping kenny would ****** this guy ever since his rookie season.

If you're going to complain about Hudler's 8 games, 0-3-3 and -6 then you have to look at the fact that:

Clarkson: 14 GP, 1-1-2, -8

Since we're going nuts over these numbers, let's put them in the context of a full season:

Hudler: 0-31-31, -61
Clarkson: 6-6-12, -47

Based on the small sample we have, I don't think you can really call Clarkson's output "offensive presence" so far this season. Now can we get back to reality and not make ridiculous trade proposals to trade players just because we don't like them?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

The only way the Devils would want Hudler is if he started putting some significant numbers on the score sheet, and that's not gonna happen by sitting in the press box.

Doubtful if Lou would be foolish enough to make this mistake.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Just the fact the Happy ran off the to KHL and is probably likely to do it again if he gets moved from Detroit makes him nuclear waste. No other team wants to touch him.

#37 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

folks get the facts straight... Happy chased the tax-free cash to the KHL. that well has dried, which brought him back scampering here. the only feasible way for him to be moved is either A. some other team trying to dump their similarly cap-hit underachiever or B. a bottom-feeder team with gobs of capspace looking for some offence.

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

If you're going to complain about Hudler's 8 games, 0-3-3 and -6 then you have to look at the fact that:

Clarkson: 14 GP, 1-1-2, -8

Since we're going nuts over these numbers, let's put them in the context of a full season:

Hudler: 0-31-31, -61
Clarkson: 6-6-12, -47

Based on the small sample we have, I don't think you can really call Clarkson's output "offensive presence" so far this season. Now can we get back to reality and not make ridiculous trade proposals to trade players just because we don't like them?

And to put things into context: Clarkson is playing on a team where Ilya Kovalchuk, one of the most elite scorers in the league has been a healthy scratch this season because their team in general is playing horrible. Hudler is playing on a team that has won 5 of its last 6 games, every line except his looks terrific and as soon as he was taken off his line it played great.

On top of that, Clarkson or a player like him provides more then just powerplay offense, which is what Hudler seems only good for after fleeing to rush and leaving his team.

Oh and to top it all off, Clarkson is a Babcock kind of player and wouldn't be stuck in the doghouse all the time.

Do you really want a 2.8 million dollar healthy scratch all season?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

We aren't getting anything worth anything for Hudler at this point.

#40 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

We aren't getting anything worth anything for Hudler at this point.

IDK - maybe we could get Lebda back.

works every time