• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

May I have mine with some BBQ sauce please?
Posted Image

12GP, 2G, 8A, 10PTS +4 and skating harder than he EVER did here...

I still agree with Holland's choice and don't think he ever would have been that player here with our system or lack of minutes to spare, but he has proven me wrong about not being a legit NHL'er and as a man of my word, I will honorably admit when I'm wrong...

I wish Ville nothing but success, he has really found a niche there in Philly and is playing well for them!

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

He's clicked very well with Briere and Hartnell.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

He's clicked very well with Briere and Hartnell.

That's one of the biggest reasons I still have no problem with us letting him go - We do not have Briere or Hartnell... people all too often dismiss line chemistry, but it is HUGE...

You could take 3 average skill players with amazing chemistry and 9 out of 10 times, they will generate more points than 3 superstars with no chemistry (look at Ilya right now)

I'm not taking anything away from Leino - he got in a good situation and made the most of it and more power to him, but I still don't think his success there means we made a bad choice and I think more people need to notice that

Edited by stevkrause, 02 November 2010 - 09:58 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#4 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

Like everyone has said so far, I don't take away anything from him but hes having success because of his line pairs. He didn't have the chemistry he has with Philly currently. Love the guy but things weren't coming together for us and Leino. I love watching him with the Flyers though.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#5 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

he looks better in a flyers uniform

#6 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

:lol: - good on ya stevkrause!

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

I really wanted Leino to succeed here, but he never got it going here with all the injuries the Wings had that year.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

:lol: - good on ya stevkrause!

I'll man up and admit when I'm wrong, I'm not too proud! :)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

+1 for manning up
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

personally, i had no problem moving him as steve said; he wasn't working here. in the playoffs i felt he was just on a hot streak. however, i am still waiting to make the call. give it another month or two and i think we will have a much better idea on long term success. heck, it was that very similar 9 points in 13 games with us in 08-09 that made fans get such high expectations.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#11 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

God, it's so chewy. More sauce! MORE SAUCE!

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Leino has talent, and he's a good fit there, but I still feel that he does so well in large part because of his linemates. Briere zooms around the zone with the puck and Hartnell goes to the corners and crashes the net.

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

personally, i had no problem moving him as steve said; he wasn't working here. in the playoffs i felt he was just on a hot streak. however, i am still waiting to make the call. give it another month or two and i think we will have a much better idea on long term success. heck, it was that very similar 9 points in 13 games with us in 08-09 that made fans get such high expectations.

I thought he was just on a hot streak last year too, but the thing is, that it's not just the points that make me think he has finally found his stride - it's the way he's playing as well... he's playing with heart, tenacity and energy... three things he seemed to lack here...

of course, like you said, a nice little drought that all players go through will be a good test of his resolve and show if he will have long term success, but right now, it looks like it is indeed more than just a streak...

Leino has talent, and he's a good fit there, but I still feel that he does so well in large part because of his linemates. Briere zooms around the zone with the puck and Hartnell goes to the corners and crashes the net.

Agreed 100% - as I said earlier in the thread, people discount chemistry FAR too much, it can make a WORLD of difference (look at Bert's renaissance with Franzen and Fil right now)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#14 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

Brunnstrom looked really good in a small sample of games too. But where is he now? I'll reserve opinion until he plays a full year with Philly. But I must say, so far, the change of scenery has done him well. Maybe he finally found a girlfriend.

#15 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Too bad Holland couldn't get more of value for him, but I think him being gone is a blessing in disguise.

Our 2nd line >>>>> Flyers 2nd line

Ville wouldn't have been a good 3rd liner for us. And Holland probably wouldn't have resigned Bertuzzi (a vital aspect to the 2nd line success) if Leino was still here.

Our 2nd line would look like this if Ville was still here:

Franzen-Filppula-Leino (that looks weak in comparison to what we have now!)

#16 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Too bad Holland couldn't get more of value for him, but I think him being gone is a blessing in disguise.

Our 2nd line >>>>> Flyers 2nd line

Ville wouldn't have been a good 3rd liner for us. And Holland probably wouldn't have resigned Bertuzzi (a vital aspect to the 2nd line success) if Leino was still here.

Our 2nd line would look like this if Ville was still here:

Franzen-Filppula-Leino (that looks weak in comparison to what we have now!)

Brunnstrom looked really good in a small sample of games too. But where is he now? I'll reserve opinion until he plays a full year with Philly. But I must say, so far, the change of scenery has done him well. Maybe he finally found a girlfriend.

I'm not saying that this is what you're getting at, but let's not take this thread for something it's not... I've made it very clear that I'm still very glad Holland made the tough choice he had to and would not change it one bit...

I said several times already in this thread that I don't think Leino would have ever done what he is doing in Philly, here - My point was, that he is proving he is a legit NHL'er, and even if his numbers drop off, even 30-40pts a year is more than I thought he was capable of, this does not mean I am saying he will be an all-star, there can be an in between ground between bust and superstar... all this thread is doing is stating that he is a legit NHL'er and I am admitting I was wrong when I said he never would be.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#17 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm not saying that this is what you're getting at, but let's not take this thread for something it's not... I've made it very clear that I'm still very glad Holland made the tough choice he had to and would not change it one bit...

I said several times already in this thread that I don't think Leino would have ever done what he is doing in Philly, here - My point was, that he is proving he is a legit NHL'er, and even if his numbers drop off, even 30-40pts a year is more than I thought he was capable of, this does not mean I am saying he will be an all-star, there can be an in between ground between bust and superstar... all this thread is doing is stating that he is a legit NHL'er and I am admitting I was wrong when I said he never would be.

My point is you shouldn't eat crow. Sure he's doing well in Philly, but the fact that he's no longer here is better for the Wings (the BFF line has to be one of the best, if not the best 2nd line in the league). If Leino was here, we likely wouldn't have this line.

#18 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Agree with all sentiments so far, and good on ya steve.

My only wish is that we could have somehow gotten something more for him in return. I dont really know how trade values work all the time, but if it were at possible, I'd have liked a little more.

Edited by hooon, 02 November 2010 - 01:59 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

My only wish is that we could have somehow gotten something more for him in return. I dont really know how trade values work all the time, but if it were at possible, I'd have liked a little more.

A conditional pick could have paid off here, I think.

#20 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Don't forget we were the ones that were desperate to dump salary. While a late round pick would have been nice, we found enough room to bring Lilja back. Or was it Franzen? Both priorities over Leino.