• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Paging Finnish Wing, Paging Finnish Wing

Rate this topic

May I have mine with some BBQ sauce please?

crow.jpg

12GP, 2G, 8A, 10PTS +4 and skating harder than he EVER did here...

I still agree with Holland's choice and don't think he ever would have been that player here with our system or lack of minutes to spare, but he has proven me wrong about not being a legit NHL'er and as a man of my word, I will honorably admit when I'm wrong...

I wish Ville nothing but success, he has really found a niche there in Philly and is playing well for them!

He's clicked very well with Briere and Hartnell.

That's one of the biggest reasons I still have no problem with us letting him go - We do not have Briere or Hartnell... people all too often dismiss line chemistry, but it is HUGE...

You could take 3 average skill players with amazing chemistry and 9 out of 10 times, they will generate more points than 3 superstars with no chemistry (look at Ilya right now)

I'm not taking anything away from Leino - he got in a good situation and made the most of it and more power to him, but I still don't think his success there means we made a bad choice and I think more people need to notice that

Edited by stevkrause

Like everyone has said so far, I don't take away anything from him but hes having success because of his line pairs. He didn't have the chemistry he has with Philly currently. Love the guy but things weren't coming together for us and Leino. I love watching him with the Flyers though.

personally, i had no problem moving him as steve said; he wasn't working here. in the playoffs i felt he was just on a hot streak. however, i am still waiting to make the call. give it another month or two and i think we will have a much better idea on long term success. heck, it was that very similar 9 points in 13 games with us in 08-09 that made fans get such high expectations.

Guest Crymson

Leino has talent, and he's a good fit there, but I still feel that he does so well in large part because of his linemates. Briere zooms around the zone with the puck and Hartnell goes to the corners and crashes the net.

personally, i had no problem moving him as steve said; he wasn't working here. in the playoffs i felt he was just on a hot streak. however, i am still waiting to make the call. give it another month or two and i think we will have a much better idea on long term success. heck, it was that very similar 9 points in 13 games with us in 08-09 that made fans get such high expectations.

I thought he was just on a hot streak last year too, but the thing is, that it's not just the points that make me think he has finally found his stride - it's the way he's playing as well... he's playing with heart, tenacity and energy... three things he seemed to lack here...

of course, like you said, a nice little drought that all players go through will be a good test of his resolve and show if he will have long term success, but right now, it looks like it is indeed more than just a streak...

Leino has talent, and he's a good fit there, but I still feel that he does so well in large part because of his linemates. Briere zooms around the zone with the puck and Hartnell goes to the corners and crashes the net.

Agreed 100% - as I said earlier in the thread, people discount chemistry FAR too much, it can make a WORLD of difference (look at Bert's renaissance with Franzen and Fil right now)

Guest Heaten

Too bad Holland couldn't get more of value for him, but I think him being gone is a blessing in disguise.

Our 2nd line >>>>> Flyers 2nd line

Ville wouldn't have been a good 3rd liner for us. And Holland probably wouldn't have resigned Bertuzzi (a vital aspect to the 2nd line success) if Leino was still here.

Our 2nd line would look like this if Ville was still here:

Franzen-Filppula-Leino (that looks weak in comparison to what we have now!)

Too bad Holland couldn't get more of value for him, but I think him being gone is a blessing in disguise.

Our 2nd line >>>>> Flyers 2nd line

Ville wouldn't have been a good 3rd liner for us. And Holland probably wouldn't have resigned Bertuzzi (a vital aspect to the 2nd line success) if Leino was still here.

Our 2nd line would look like this if Ville was still here:

Franzen-Filppula-Leino (that looks weak in comparison to what we have now!)

Brunnstrom looked really good in a small sample of games too. But where is he now? I'll reserve opinion until he plays a full year with Philly. But I must say, so far, the change of scenery has done him well. Maybe he finally found a girlfriend.

I'm not saying that this is what you're getting at, but let's not take this thread for something it's not... I've made it very clear that I'm still very glad Holland made the tough choice he had to and would not change it one bit...

I said several times already in this thread that I don't think Leino would have ever done what he is doing in Philly, here - My point was, that he is proving he is a legit NHL'er, and even if his numbers drop off, even 30-40pts a year is more than I thought he was capable of, this does not mean I am saying he will be an all-star, there can be an in between ground between bust and superstar... all this thread is doing is stating that he is a legit NHL'er and I am admitting I was wrong when I said he never would be.

Guest Heaten

I'm not saying that this is what you're getting at, but let's not take this thread for something it's not... I've made it very clear that I'm still very glad Holland made the tough choice he had to and would not change it one bit...

I said several times already in this thread that I don't think Leino would have ever done what he is doing in Philly, here - My point was, that he is proving he is a legit NHL'er, and even if his numbers drop off, even 30-40pts a year is more than I thought he was capable of, this does not mean I am saying he will be an all-star, there can be an in between ground between bust and superstar... all this thread is doing is stating that he is a legit NHL'er and I am admitting I was wrong when I said he never would be.

My point is you shouldn't eat crow. Sure he's doing well in Philly, but the fact that he's no longer here is better for the Wings (the BFF line has to be one of the best, if not the best 2nd line in the league). If Leino was here, we likely wouldn't have this line.

Agree with all sentiments so far, and good on ya steve.

My only wish is that we could have somehow gotten something more for him in return. I dont really know how trade values work all the time, but if it were at possible, I'd have liked a little more.

Edited by hooon

Guest Heaten

My only wish is that we could have somehow gotten something more for him in return. I dont really know how trade values work all the time, but if it were at possible, I'd have liked a little more.

A conditional pick could have paid off here, I think.

Don't forget we were the ones that were desperate to dump salary. While a late round pick would have been nice, we found enough room to bring Lilja back. Or was it Franzen? Both priorities over Leino.

My point is you shouldn't eat crow. Sure he's doing well in Philly, but the fact that he's no longer here is better for the Wings (the BFF line has to be one of the best, if not the best 2nd line in the league). If Leino was here, we likely wouldn't have this line.

I agree with you 100% about our 2nd line, but I very boldly stated that I thought he was a flash in the pan and would never even be a 20pt scorer in this league. That is what I am eating crow for, not for advocating his exit from Detroit, because I still agree with that.

Don't forget we were the ones that were desperate to dump salary. While a late round pick would have been nice, we found enough room to bring Lilja back. Or was it Franzen? Both priorities over Leino.

Lets keep in mind too, that with our scouting staff, that 5th round pick could turn into an All-Star, haha

by the way, although this is indeed possible, I'm not saying to count on it, just making light of the subject... and yes, it would have been nice to get a little more in return, but we were the ones that needed to dump salary, so to get anything for an unproven player was good at the time and we could have just as easily lost him for nothing, as we probably would have had to waive him otherwise...

I think it was both of them. Also we had one or two guys set to come back from injury after them.

Again, not saying it would have been possible, and doubting Kenny is a useless gesture. But wouldn't it just be nice if we had some prospect somewhere in the system that we could show for the Leino trade?

Best of luck to Ville, though I really wanted him to work out here.

I remember telling my brother before his NHL debut (maybe not first ever debut) that he was going to be someone special to watch. Then he scored that spinorama between the legs goals against the caps and I thought my predictions had come true. Sigh.

Good on you for manning up. Try it with a little curry sauce. It ain't so bad that way. Advice from someone who has eaten his share of crow over the years, both literally, and figuratively.

Lets keep in mind too, that with our scouting staff, that 5th round pick could turn into an All-Star, haha

by the way, although this is indeed possible, I'm not saying to count on it, just making light of the subject... and yes, it would have been nice to get a little more in return, but we were the ones that needed to dump salary, so to get anything for an unproven player was good at the time and we could have just as easily lost him for nothing, as we probably would have had to waive him otherwise...

We did get a guy that played on the edge of dirty AND was known to fight. You would have thought LGW would be burning the city like Montreal after winning a round in the playoffs.

We did get a guy that played on the edge of dirty AND was known to fight. You would have thought LGW would be burning the city like Montreal after winning a round in the playoffs.

yea, I was really bummed that Tollefsen didn't re-sign here, I thought he still had a lot of upside... guess he just didn't want to play in the AHL another year and to have to earn a job back into the NHL... I think long term, he could have become an every night guy here on the 3rd pairing... oh well...