• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

Going into NHL 11 off the back of the last couple of incredible hockey games from EA sports, i would have never believed that 2k might get a glimmer of hope among hockey fans.

I mean, honestly they completely left the new systems to take a year off, releasing only for the wii.

Despite having made a quailty wii game in NHL 2K10, NHL 2K11 was a complete crap fest that really failed to capitalize on another crap fest,...EA's one and done NHL slapshot (note,...that still as of now, has no roster update)

NHL 11 was received warmly and everyone pretty much assumed it'd be business as usual. The initial roster update annoyed a few people, but everyone assumed it would be quickly fixed.

It wasn't,..and to make matters worse EA's own forums lied several times about when this roster update would happen.

It happened today and after waiting for a month, it's a complete turd.

Not only are only a handful of players effected, some vanished all together. To compound the issue, several NHL goalies now have a strange black patch over there goalie gear instead of their teams colors.

The EA fanboys are totally incensed and I wonder out loud if 2k releases a mildly playable and fun game next year is EA going to lose ground.

Here's my thoughts for this,

Before nhl 07 most people agreed that 2k had a better product. The peak of this was nhl2k5 which was far superior to the nhl game released on ps2.

NHL 07 blew the doors off the hockey game and 2k never recovered. But now EA is again being EA and totally dicking around with the loyal people who buy their game.

Recall that they had to buy the NFL rights to keep making madden, 2k5 is still one of the best football games ever made. What is EA going to do, throw money at the NHL and buy them?

#2 theman19

theman19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

thanks to the person who gave this one star, yet made no attempt to discuss why. People like you win the internet.

#3 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:39 AM

I voted 5 stars.

I basically quit playing hockey games after NHL 2K9 or 2K10. Technically EA's version had been better the last several years, because for one reason or another, 2K decided it wanted to make excessively s***ty games after 2K7, which is why they got blasted so badly on reviews across the board.

The NFL issue is another entirely, but on the NHL issue 2K basically made EA's NHL games the only one to play thanks to now several years in a row of crappy releases, and shot themselves in the foot. And due to less competition, EA will release a crappier product in turn as well, until someone else can compete. It's to be expected.

#4 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

i gave it 5 stars for ya too. i read it yesterday and agree totally, but didnt feel like commenting.

i also feel this version of the game is awful. i feel that ea knows it has no competition and that makes them complacent with putting out crap. they do have a difficult job though. with the internet making everyones voice heard, they have to try and push the game a thousand different ways to please everyone.

however, they seem to only be going for money grabs now. paying for boosts for eashl players and now paying for hut cards. their revenue is through the roof, but their quality of product is through the floor.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#5 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Not only are only a handful of players effected, some vanished all together. To compound the issue, several NHL goalies now have a strange black patch over there goalie gear instead of their teams colors.

This will explain why some people are in the game and why some are gone and why some were in the game, but now aren't.

One of the reasons we took so long with the update is as you all know we now have 10 leagues in our game (CHL being three of them) so each league has different guidelines to which players we can and cannot use. So unlike you (our consumers), we cannot create any player we want and just put him in the game, we must get clearance from each individual league before we can proceed in creating him.

So with the NHLPA, all we have to wait for is when a player has stepped on the ice for his first shift in the NHL, we can then create him. If itís a goalie we can create him when he is on a score sheet as a backup. For the AHL we have to wait for each player (even if heís in the game already) to sign his PHPA form. This form is what makes any player playing in the AHL a member of the Pro Hockey Players Association which in turn lets us use his name and likeness in the game. This is why youíll see players that are in the game currently on a CHL team (prior to this update) that are no longer in the game until they return in a future update as soon as they have signed their PHPA agreement. In terms of the CHL, there are over 400 players we added as the league has massive turnover. This affected every roster and because of this we had to get these players in the game otherwise we would have players who are no longer part of the CHL in our game to fill out rosters.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#6 theman19

theman19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

This will explain why some people are in the game and why some are gone and why some were in the game, but now aren't.

That's true, but it doesn't explain why in updating a few guys they managed to reintroduce many bugs back into the game. Like the black goalie gear glitch. Evidently there's another glitch where star players get put in the AHL for no reason in Be a GM.

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

That's true, but it doesn't explain why in updating a few guys they managed to reintroduce many bugs back into the game. Like the black goalie gear glitch. Evidently there's another glitch where star players get put in the AHL for no reason in Be a GM.

They actually had to update over 400 guys due to the extremely high turnover in the CHL.

As for the latter, i have no idea, it pisses me off.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 theman19

theman19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

evidently EA has sheepishly introduced a patch to cover the bugs they introduced with the roster update.

#9 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

A silly roster update should be the least of EA's worries. This game has progressively gotten worse since NHL 09, at least from the EASHL / online point of view.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#10 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

This has nothing to do with EA and everything to do with the agreements the players sign with their respective unions. EA cannot add any player they want willy-nilly into the game.

thanks to the person who gave this one star, yet made no attempt to discuss why. People like you win the internet.

And way to freak out over something as arbitrary as a star rating for your topic. Had you been given a 5 star rating would you still have complained?

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 04 November 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#11 theman19

theman19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

This has nothing to do with EA and everything to do with the agreements the players sign with their respective unions. EA cannot add any player they want willy-nilly into the game.

And way to freak out over something as arbitrary as a star rating for your topic. Had you been given a 5 star rating would you still have complained?

A. Thanks for checking in. I wasn't freaking out that whoever (It was probably you) put the topic as one star. I was "freaking out" the he or she did so without even explaining why. Or even for adding anything at all to the topic itself.

B. This has nothing to do with player agreements and everything to do with EA. People arn't flipping out as much cause some chl scrub isn't in the game. They're freaking out that guys like jeff skinner, tyler seguin, and the other rookies are still unplayable. An EA moderator actually had the guts to say to a guy that even though jeff skinner is now playing on carolina's first line a 68 doesn't make him unplayable online, suck it up! That's a company totally out of touch with its fanbase.

C. Player agreements or not, how does EA get a pass for releasing several bugs back into the game with this latest update, and then have to release a patch to fix it. Quality games don't do this.

#12 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

It's like what EA did to Madden. Madden was great back in the day when it had to compete with other football games. Once it's dominance was secured and other franchises couldn't compete EA realized they could make the games complete downgrades, and they would still sell. That brings us to the present pile of crap that is the madden franchise.

The NHL franchise is now following suit. Here's to hoping 2k comes back with an amazing game next year and make EA get their s*** together. Long story shot, competition is a good thing.

#13 theman19

theman19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

It's like what EA did to Madden. Madden was great back in the day when it had to compete with other football games. Once it's dominance was secured and other franchises couldn't compete EA realized they could make the games complete downgrades, and they would still sell. That brings us to the present pile of crap that is the madden franchise.

The NHL franchise is now following suit. Here's to hoping 2k comes back with an amazing game next year and make EA get their s*** together. Long story shot, competition is a good thing.

This exactly the point I was trying to make. Remember 2k5 football? A lot of people still play that game over the new madden that comes out every year. I play nhl 04 on the computer because EA kept releasing the same pile of crap year after year, so some guys got sick of it and rewrote the code on 04 and now it's the best hockey game for pc. EA doesn't care about making a quailty product unless they have too, If there's no 2k, NHL will start to suck again.

#14 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

This exactly the point I was trying to make. Remember 2k5 football? A lot of people still play that game over the new madden that comes out every year. I play nhl 04 on the computer because EA kept releasing the same pile of crap year after year, so some guys got sick of it and rewrote the code on 04 and now it's the best hockey game for pc. EA doesn't care about making a quailty product unless they have too, If there's no 2k, NHL will start to suck again.

Yep. That's economics 101 and the downside to monopolistic entities -- how it's bad for business, bad for product quality. Nonetheless, 2K kinda screwed itself and the fiercely loyal fanbase it used to have.

Edited by Shoreline, 16 November 2010 - 02:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users