• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bar Down

Class Act Organization

Rate this topic

I wish nothing but the best for your brother and your family. As a breast cancer survivor--I KNOW survival can happen. Keep positive and spend every day enjoying what you have. The Wings have reached out to so many in this situation and I'm glad that someone was able to let them know about your family struggles. I have seen them in many situations where they truly shine off the ice! They are a wonderful group of people--from the top down. The management, coaches, their wives and the players are ALL wonderful people who are truly caring. Keep the faith.

Once again our belief in this team is reaffirmed. On every level this team and its leaders shine like a beacon in the night. And I have gained some perspective on my own "problems" just from reading all this and seeing the photos.

I wish your brother and you and your whole family the very best. There's ALWAYS hope. HUGS to you all.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the warm reception to this site. My brother told me he read some of your comments and was really moved by it. Positivity is key in a situation like this and it is awesome to see so many Wings fans unite.

I've been casually viewing this site for awhile but until today I never felt the need to share my opinion. Today, however, was different. My brother was diagnosed with leukemia while playing junior hockey in Saskatchewan earlier this year and he had a bone marrow transplant a couple months ago in Calgary (he's had to live there for the last several months due to the lack of facilities in Sask.). We have been die-hard Red Wings fans since we were really young and it's been a dream of ours to someday watch a game at the Joe but today he experienced the next best thing. Mike Babcock gave him a call this morning and invited him to the Wings practice in Calgary and invited him to meet all of the Wings. Every single Red Wing took the time to not only introduce themselves but genuinely get to know him. He was encouraged by Dats and Zets to stick around for practice prep and to come back after practice for some autographs. Ken Holland offered him tickets for tomorrow's game and Babs invited him back tomorrow to once again hang out with the Wings after their morning skate. For a kid who's been through a lot in recent months, he was on cloud nine today. The Wings have always been my favorite team but today they turned it up a notch. I was absolutely blown away by everything today and I think it's safe to say we all cheer for one of the classiest organizations in the NHL .

first of all I wish your brother a speedy recovery and I hope that everything is going well. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer Feb. of this year, I know how stressful and scary it is to have someone close to you going through so much. So much love and thoughts and prayers to your family!

To be honest I'm not exactly sure on the details of how Babcock found out. He hasn't sent me any of the pictures he took but I snagged this one off his Facebook profile page:

75346_10150296284445276_903215275_15494382_2876814_n.jpg

Awesome picture. My love of this team just grows and grows :thumbup:

Yeap. He was just as excited as my brother. He's been a fan of the Wings since he was about five years old. Quite an experience for both of them I'd say.

Well a big man-hug to him from this side of the pond. As a father of 3 my heart goes out to him. As tough as this must be for you, trust me, its a thousand times worse for him. You don't know what love really is until you have kids, and to see your pride and joy go through this.........there are no words.

Well a big man-hug to him from this side of the pond. As a father of 3 my heart goes out to him. As tough as this must be for you, trust me, its a thousand times worse for him. You don't know what love really is until you have kids, and to see your pride and joy go through this.........there are no words.

So true. It really comes to fruition in times like these. My parents up and moved to Calgary to be with my brother for these last few months. I mean I fly out there as often as I can but I can't even imagine the strain it's put on my parents since my brother got sick. I guess my dad has probably needed a day like yesterday as much as anyone smile.gif

That is simply awesome. Cancer has somehow touched everyone of us, and my prayers are with you and your family. I've recently lost my mother through complications from her cancer, and my fiance was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer last year and is now in remission through both treatment and surgery. I'm very blessed today with a son that was born last month on the 12th, and he truly is our miracle. Keep hold of your loved ones, and I'm glad that your family had an experience of a lifetime to meet and experience a Classy Organization first hand.

I remember Yzerman did something like this back in the 90's. I can't remember the exact case or anything, but it truly touched my heart. The Red Wings truly do care for their fans, and every time they reach out to someone, they become that much more to everyone. They're not just a good hockey team on the ice, they are good human beings.

I wish your brother and your whole family the best.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the warm reception to this site. My brother told me he read some of your comments and was really moved by it. Positivity is key in a situation like this and it is awesome to see so many Wings fans unite.

By now I'm sure you and your brother know that he has the entire Red Wings Nation pulling for him!! Thanks for sharing his story!

By now I'm sure you and your brother know that he has the entire Red Wings Nation pulling for him!! Thanks for sharing his story!

Over the years I've been here (mostly lurking) on LGW, I've learned that 95% of the time, Red Wings fans can disagree or debate about a can of beans let alone big issues... but these kinds of things are the 5% where we really have the capacity to pull together and agree on something :3

I hope and pray for all the best for you and your family, man. It may sound redundant by now, but I've also had family go through cancer... my grandfather at 75. Despite the odds, he fought through and is still with us over here, knocking on 80. I'm sure your bro can pull through, too. Tell him he's practically got all of Detroit rooting for him, now! :D

I hope your brother makes a speedy and complete recovery. Thanks for sharing this awesome story. The Red Wings are truly a different kind of organization, and it is indeed very easy be a fan. Despite all of their success, the Red Wings continue to amaze me with how humble they are and how much they give back to the fans and community.

Hope your brother is doing well. Glad to hear the DRW reached out the way they did. I don't post much either so I'm with you there. Hopefully hear more from you soon!

LGW

I've been casually viewing this site for awhile but until today I never felt the need to share my opinion. Today, however, was different. My brother was diagnosed with leukemia while playing junior hockey in Saskatchewan earlier this year and he had a bone marrow transplant a couple months ago in Calgary (he's had to live there for the last several months due to the lack of facilities in Sask.). We have been die-hard Red Wings fans since we were really young and it's been a dream of ours to someday watch a game at the Joe but today he experienced the next best thing. Mike Babcock gave him a call this morning and invited him to the Wings practice in Calgary and invited him to meet all of the Wings. Every single Red Wing took the time to not only introduce themselves but genuinely get to know him. He was encouraged by Dats and Zets to stick around for practice prep and to come back after practice for some autographs. Ken Holland offered him tickets for tomorrow's game and Babs invited him back tomorrow to once again hang out with the Wings after their morning skate. For a kid who's been through a lot in recent months, he was on cloud nine today. The Wings have always been my favorite team but today they turned it up a notch. I was absolutely blown away by everything today and I think it's safe to say we all cheer for one of the classiest organizations in the NHL .

Wonderful story! :)