42 replies to this topic

#21 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:35 PM

Is that your dad in the middle?

Yeap. He was just as excited as my brother. He's been a fan of the Wings since he was about five years old. Quite an experience for both of them I'd say.

#22 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

First off, I would like to wish your brother to a full and speedy recovery :thumbup: Second, thanks for sharing this story.. This is why it's so easy to be a Wings fan..
IPB Image

#23 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

I've had dreams where I have a day with the Red Wings like your brother did. I hope he had a good time. I wish your brother a quick and speedy recovery. I didn't think I could love the Red Wings more than I already do.

#24 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

What a great story! As I was reading the story I began to tear up! This team and organization is amazing! Simply the best! I pray that your Brother gets back on the ice soon, but there is no doubt he'll beat cancer! Just stay positive and you all will beat this nasty nasty disease!

Best Wishes to you, your Brother and your Family!!

#25 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Having just lost someone to leukemia, I know what it's like to watch them see a lifelong dream come true.

Best wishes to your brother.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#26 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

Best of luck for your brother.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#27 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

First off I hope your brother has a speedy recovery and glad to see his dreams come true!!
I love this team and this story shows why. The Wings organization are nothing but class i personally have never heard anyone say a bad thing about this organization.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#28 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Best of luck to your brother, you, and the rest of your family.

LGW!
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#29 WingsNick5

WingsNick5

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

I wish nothing but the best for your brother and your family. As a breast cancer survivor--I KNOW survival can happen. Keep positive and spend every day enjoying what you have. The Wings have reached out to so many in this situation and I'm glad that someone was able to let them know about your family struggles. I have seen them in many situations where they truly shine off the ice! They are a wonderful group of people--from the top down. The management, coaches, their wives and the players are ALL wonderful people who are truly caring. Keep the faith.
"He can take the food off of your fork on the way to your mouth and you would never know it". Micky Redmond

#30 The Russian Rocket

The Russian Rocket

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Wow....great story. I hope for a good recovery for your brother! Red Wings=Class Act Organization.

#31 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Once again our belief in this team is reaffirmed. On every level this team and its leaders shine like a beacon in the night. And I have gained some perspective on my own "problems" just from reading all this and seeing the photos.

I wish your brother and you and your whole family the very best. There's ALWAYS hope. HUGS to you all.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#32 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the warm reception to this site. My brother told me he read some of your comments and was really moved by it. Positivity is key in a situation like this and it is awesome to see so many Wings fans unite.

#33 wingnut22

wingnut22

F#$%!

• Silver Booster
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

I've been casually viewing this site for awhile but until today I never felt the need to share my opinion. Today, however, was different. My brother was diagnosed with leukemia while playing junior hockey in Saskatchewan earlier this year and he had a bone marrow transplant a couple months ago in Calgary (he's had to live there for the last several months due to the lack of facilities in Sask.). We have been die-hard Red Wings fans since we were really young and it's been a dream of ours to someday watch a game at the Joe but today he experienced the next best thing. Mike Babcock gave him a call this morning and invited him to the Wings practice in Calgary and invited him to meet all of the Wings. Every single Red Wing took the time to not only introduce themselves but genuinely get to know him. He was encouraged by Dats and Zets to stick around for practice prep and to come back after practice for some autographs. Ken Holland offered him tickets for tomorrow's game and Babs invited him back tomorrow to once again hang out with the Wings after their morning skate. For a kid who's been through a lot in recent months, he was on cloud nine today. The Wings have always been my favorite team but today they turned it up a notch. I was absolutely blown away by everything today and I think it's safe to say we all cheer for one of the classiest organizations in the NHL .

first of all I wish your brother a speedy recovery and I hope that everything is going well. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer Feb. of this year, I know how stressful and scary it is to have someone close to you going through so much. So much love and thoughts and prayers to your family!

To be honest I'm not exactly sure on the details of how Babcock found out. He hasn't sent me any of the pictures he took but I snagged this one off his Facebook profile page:

Posted Image

Awesome picture. My love of this team just grows and grows :thumbup:

Posted Image
"They are younger. We are not called younger anymore. Except to Cheli. To him, everyone is younger." - Pavel Datsyuk

#34 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:44 AM

Yeap. He was just as excited as my brother. He's been a fan of the Wings since he was about five years old. Quite an experience for both of them I'd say.

Well a big man-hug to him from this side of the pond. As a father of 3 my heart goes out to him. As tough as this must be for you, trust me, its a thousand times worse for him. You don't know what love really is until you have kids, and to see your pride and joy go through this.........there are no words.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#35 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:02 AM

Well a big man-hug to him from this side of the pond. As a father of 3 my heart goes out to him. As tough as this must be for you, trust me, its a thousand times worse for him. You don't know what love really is until you have kids, and to see your pride and joy go through this.........there are no words.

So true. It really comes to fruition in times like these. My parents up and moved to Calgary to be with my brother for these last few months. I mean I fly out there as often as I can but I can't even imagine the strain it's put on my parents since my brother got sick. I guess my dad has probably needed a day like yesterday as much as anyone Posted Image

#36 w1ng3dLV

w1ng3dLV

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:17 AM

That is simply awesome. Cancer has somehow touched everyone of us, and my prayers are with you and your family. I've recently lost my mother through complications from her cancer, and my fiance was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer last year and is now in remission through both treatment and surgery. I'm very blessed today with a son that was born last month on the 12th, and he truly is our miracle. Keep hold of your loved ones, and I'm glad that your family had an experience of a lifetime to meet and experience a Classy Organization first hand.
"By 1946, I knew Detroit was the best hockey city in the Original Six." - Ted Lindsay

#37 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

I remember Yzerman did something like this back in the 90's. I can't remember the exact case or anything, but it truly touched my heart. The Red Wings truly do care for their fans, and every time they reach out to someone, they become that much more to everyone. They're not just a good hockey team on the ice, they are good human beings.

I wish your brother and your whole family the best.

#38 Peadydog

Peadydog

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the warm reception to this site. My brother told me he read some of your comments and was really moved by it. Positivity is key in a situation like this and it is awesome to see so many Wings fans unite.

By now I'm sure you and your brother know that he has the entire Red Wings Nation pulling for him!! Thanks for sharing his story!

#39 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

By now I'm sure you and your brother know that he has the entire Red Wings Nation pulling for him!! Thanks for sharing his story!

Over the years I've been here (mostly lurking) on LGW, I've learned that 95% of the time, Red Wings fans can disagree or debate about a can of beans let alone big issues... but these kinds of things are the 5% where we really have the capacity to pull together and agree on something :3

I hope and pray for all the best for you and your family, man. It may sound redundant by now, but I've also had family go through cancer... my grandfather at 75. Despite the odds, he fought through and is still with us over here, knocking on 80. I'm sure your bro can pull through, too. Tell him he's practically got all of Detroit rooting for him, now! :D

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#40 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

I hope your brother makes a speedy and complete recovery. Thanks for sharing this awesome story. The Red Wings are truly a different kind of organization, and it is indeed very easy be a fan. Despite all of their success, the Red Wings continue to amaze me with how humble they are and how much they give back to the fans and community.