• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Get ready folks, hitting is about to exit our game

Rate this topic

So other than the fact that Thornton plugs Perron with a blindside elbow to the jaw, and Pietrangelo doesn't toss his bucket, what exactly is in that clip?

Certainly nothing about hitting no longer being in hockey.

it was a clean hit how is that blindside? so you can't hit someone with their head down anymore

Melodramatic much? It's blindside and it's an elbow to the head. Plus Perron didn't have the puck. 3 strikes and you're out.

what the heck were you looking at?

Melodramatic much? It's blindside and it's an elbow to the head. Plus Perron didn't have the puck. 3 strikes and you're out.

what the heck were you looking at?

Man are th fans of the NHL becoming softened up as well or what?

Thornton steps outta the box skates up the to the red line and hits him, not east west. And his elbow was tucked in.

It is a bad angle but if you look, the penalty boxes are behind the red line and thornton hits him at the red line so it is not east west.

This is a textbook hit, it was a suicide pass and unfortunate for perron because he didnt know thornton was coming out of the box but what does big joe do? Let him skate by because the guy has his head down? If thats what the NHL has come to then its a bulls*** league and turning into the god damned NBA

Guest Stolberg

Those are some s***ty angels of the hit in that video.

yep, both of them are from the front

Perron played the puck, or at least attempted to, can't fault Thornton there. There certainly was no elbow, not even close. The only thing I see is the whole hit to the head from east/west thing. If there is a better angle out there that shows a clear hit to the head, then go ahead and suspend him, but from what I'm seeing I can't say this is a no doubt suspension.

Edit - After a second look at it in HD, it definitely looks like shoulder to head, suspendable play if you ask me.

Edited by Dano33

Man are th fans of the NHL becoming softened up as well or what?

Thornton steps outta the box skates up the to the red line and hits him, not east west. And his elbow was tucked in.

It is a bad angle but if you look, the penalty boxes are behind the red line and thornton hits him at the red line so it is not east west.

This is a textbook hit, it was a suicide pass and unfortunate for perron because he didnt know thornton was coming out of the box but what does big joe do? Let him skate by because the guy has his head down? If thats what the NHL has come to then its a bulls*** league and turning into the god damned NBA

Summed up quite nicely.

I dislike Thornton as much as the next guy, but it was a clean hit. "Head on a swivel" is a lost phrase in modern day hockey. The announcer says the puck was not on Perron: well only cause the he missed it. Big Joe timed it perfectly, the puck had already been there but Perron misses the puck and gets caught by Big Joe.

The hit wasn't blind: the hittee (Perron) was blind because he had his head down instead of on a swivel. That's not Joe's fault. Thats a fundamental mistake by Perron. Watch where the f*** you're going cause it's a nasty game out there and people want to take your head off.

Also, I didn't hear any goalie stick whacking away on the ice warning of the last few seconds of the penalty so his team knows there is a man coming out of the box (FWIW)

This is what is going to be very difficult for the NHL: There is a difference in a hit to the head, and a hit that invloves the head. One is much more avoidable than the other. I don't know how the NHL is going to be successful in this quest to rid the game of hits to the head. It's a great intent, but the reality is not so clear.

There is also a major difference in leading with the elbow vs leading with the shoulder and following thru with the elbow (actually, it's following thru with the forearm, but therefore the elbow does come up too, of course): the ladder being legal and clean. Joe lead with the shoulder and followed thru with the forearm. Clean.

I can totally understand the NHL wanting and needing to protect their assetts (read million dollar players)by being concerned about hits to the head, but it is going to be difficult to get it right and accurate. And they still have a problem calling routine penalites correctly during a game; good luck with this new headshot issue.

The much more frequent high speed collisions are an unforeseen byproduct of the lack of clutching and grabbing and waterskiing (hooking a guy for a ride all the way down the ice).

I totally understand the OP's thread title. It's a legitimate concern.

Edited by T.Low