• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:00 AM

I feel bad for Perron because he doesn't see it coming but Jesus Christ he has the puck come to him and he's moving forward. Of course it's af****** blind side hit because PERRON ISf****** LOOKING BACKWARDS AT THE PASSER while moving forward. This is an utterly stupid call, Thornton's elbows are not his shoulders, which is what actually makes contact, he follows through with his elbow coming upward after the hit (last time I checked following through with your elbow moving upward doesn't constitute an elbow when the elbow doesn't even make contact -- the elbow moving up is merely an affect of balancing one's self from the jolt of hitting someone with your shoulder), and yes, this is marginalizing clean hits just because a guy gets hurt. Unbelievable.

Edit: I also have a feeling of deja vu because I remember off the top of my head Jiri Hudler being hit many times looking the wrong way.

Agreed. 1) This is shoulder not elbow. 2) most of this is a result of Thorton being a big guy and the angle that they met. 3) Thorton did not intend to injure. If you look closely, he doesn't come close to leaving his feet and does not in any way "drive" into Parron. Tough break for David, but mostly his fault.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#122 Konstantinov

Konstantinov

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

Wow. The most painful part of that video was watching Perron embellish the hit by laying on the ice for whatever amount of time like a *****. Seriously? The hit was clean, like someone has said, what is he (Thornton) supposed to do, let him skate by with the puck? Clearly by the video yes it is mostly his arm that makes contact. But his arm does not equal his elbow, and if Perron had his head up instead of looking back at the passer, this hit would not even be an issue. Bettman and the other fairy f***s who are used to commissioning / administrating basketball are seriously putting a bad name to the game. Just let 'em play! I could see maybe a 2 minute minor fairness-wise for the hit. MAYBE. That Thornton got suspended for this is totally f***ed, as much as I dislike Thornton. Would we want this to happen to one of our guys, God forbid he actually make contact with someone who doesn't have their head up and is off in la-la land while the puck is coming their way?

Edited by Konstantinov, 06 November 2010 - 02:57 AM.

Nobody pay lots of attention Detroit Red Wings

#123 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

The suspension is just disgusting, this is getting sickening, the sport is being ruined

Really? This is what is ruining the NHL? That's why the sport is more popular than ever. Just because you disagree with the decision doesn't make it a bad one and doesn't mean that the sport is being ruined.

What a ***** fest this thread has become. Was it an elbow? No. The newer video with the better camera angles proves that. Was it a lateral hit to the head that is against the rules? YES! Some of you need a lesson in basic geometry.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 06 November 2010 - 06:03 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#124 ltgator333

ltgator333

Combustion on Contact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:16 AM

IMO- Thornton ran Perron over, he may or may not have intended to make contact with his head but he sure as heck did with his shoulder, and I doubt it made much difference to him. It was a blindside because Perron wasn't looking, which is more Perron and his fellow player that threw him the puck's fault than Thornton's. The problem with this hit- Thornton has played the game long enough to know that Perron would be caught unaware and would be absolutely wrecked in a way that had potential for injury. What could he have done different? He could've had Perron on his can with one arm, but brought the whole body because he could.

Wrong thing to do at the wrong time and place. Everyone should know the powers that be in the league are looking to make examples. The only thing that doesn't sit with me is that I'm sure there's been other hits as bad or worse, why this one and not the others? Again it comes down to consistency.
- LT

#125 mystre

mystre

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

he's moving East-West - look at the frames. If anything, he moves left - towards center ice.

Attached File  ThortonHit.jpg   12.23KB   21 downloads

Edited by mystre, 06 November 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#126 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

I hate the whole, "he had his head down" argument. A hit to the head is a hit to the head!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#127 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

I hate the whole, "he had his head down" argument. A hit to the head is a hit to the head!

So what's a taller player like Big Joe to do when a smaller opponent is leaning forward yet with his head turned, and has the puck in/around his feet?

Once again it's hockey, and at this level these guys should have their noggins on a swivel...Thornton played the body; clean check all the way.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#128 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:03 AM

not to add fuel to the fire, but TJ oshie was involved in another perfectly legal, clean hit that i'm sure is going to warrant a suspension.

I don't have the video, but it's him hitting krejec (or however you spell that) from boston, he nails him as the bruin comes in for the puck.

#129 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

So what's a taller player like Big Joe to do when a smaller opponent is leaning forward yet with his head turned, and has the puck in/around his feet?

Once again it's hockey, and at this level these guys should have their noggins on a swivel...Thornton played the body; clean check all the way.

Shoulder to shoulder. Period. It's not that hard. Destroying a guy is not the only way of separating him from the puck. I don't care if it's Chara on Theron Fleury, a hit to the head is dirty.
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#130 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:07 AM

Shoulder to shoulder. Period. It's not that hard. Destroying a guy is not the only way of separating him from the puck. I don't care if it's Chara on Theron Fleury, a hit to the head is dirty.

Even then there's the chance for contact with an opponent's head.

As I also stated a few pages earlier - this game moves too fast for players trying to target 1 specific area of the body to hit; size of the players, speed at which they are moving, and the path/angle that they are skating in relation to one another are all variables that factor in when they collide...In most cases aiming for center mass - aka the chest is usually the safest way for a player to seperate an opponent from the puck; if the player "targets" the opponents shoulder, and "whoooops" missed his target, and his opponent gets by, and creates a scoring chance - that guy is gonna get an earful from his coach.

Once again there's abosolutely no ill will on Thorton's behalf; elbow tucked in, both feet on the ground, nailed Perron fair and square...Gotta keep your head up.

#131 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Even then there's the chance for contact with an opponent's head.

As I also stated a few pages earlier - this game moves too fast for players trying to target 1 specific area of the body to hit; size of the players, speed at which they are moving, and the path/angle that they are skating in relation to one another are all variables that factor in when they collide...In most cases aiming for center mass - aka the chest is usually the safest way for a player to seperate an opponent from the puck; if the player "targets" the opponents shoulder, and "whoooops" missed his target, and his opponent gets by, and creates a scoring chance - that guy is gonna get an earful from his coach.

Once again there's abosolutely no ill will on Thorton's behalf; elbow tucked in, both feet on the ground, nailed Perron fair and square...Gotta keep your head up.

No ill will? How do you know this? Apparently the league thought differently because he was suspended. You act as though players/former players have no involvement in making these rules and it's just a bunch of suits who've never played the game messing everything up. Every one of these incidents will involve some sort of judgement from the ref calling the penalty to the league doling out further punishment. In this case it was determined by the ref and later by the league that Joe could've not targeted the head on an unsuspecting player to make the play. The hit was dangerous and unnecessary and was not a case of a player simply skating with his head down. The hit on Selanne is a perfect example of a player "not keeping his head up" not this one.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#132 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

How long till scoring is outlawed, so that nobody's feelings are hurt?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#133 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

not to add fuel to the fire, but TJ oshie was involved in another perfectly legal, clean hit that i'm sure is going to warrant a suspension.

I don't have the video, but it's him hitting krejec (or however you spell that) from boston, he nails him as the bruin comes in for the puck.

That was a perfectly clean hit. There better not be ANY sort of disciplinary action at all. This sh it is getting outta control.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#134 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

It seems like suspensions are coming every other game.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#135 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

No ill will? How do you know this? Apparently the league thought differently because he was suspended. You act as though players/former players have no involvement in making these rules and it's just a bunch of suits who've never played the game messing everything up. Every one of these incidents will involve some sort of judgement from the ref calling the penalty to the league doling out further punishment. In this case it was determined by the ref and later by the league that Joe could've not targeted the head on an unsuspecting player to make the play. The hit was dangerous and unnecessary and was not a case of a player simply skating with his head down. The hit on Selanne is a perfect example of a player "not keeping his head up" not this one.

esteef

I think it's pretty clear that the league is reacting rather harshly with what some may feel is a "hit targeting the head" in order to thwart future "head hunting" which I personally feel isn't the case here.

I'm of the opinion that Big Joe is being made an example of...For me this hit was no different than what Kronwall had done to Selanne in that both players nailed an unsuspecting opponent that had their heads down/turned away...If the league is gonna hand down a suspension to Thornton - well they may as well handed one to Kronner.

Things are getting outta hand, and this is exactly what I feared.

#136 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

I think it's pretty clear that the league is reacting rather harshly with what some may feel is a "hit targeting the head" in order to thwart future "head hunting" which I personally feel isn't the case here.

I'm of the opinion that Big Joe is being made an example of...For me this hit was no different than what Kronwall had done to Selanne in that both players nailed an unsuspecting opponent that had their heads down/turned away...If the league is gonna hand down a suspension to Thornton - well they may as well handed one to Kronner.

Things are getting outta hand, and this is exactly what I feared.

I totally called this once they announced the new headshot rule. No matter how subtle the contact is, ANY contact with a player's head will result in suspensions, fines,etc, no matter how clean the hit is. This is a shame. The game is seriously gonna start turning old-school hockey fans away with this kinda horses***. Its a damn shame.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#137 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

I totally called this once they announced the new headshot rule. No matter how subtle the contact is, ANY contact with a player's head will result in suspensions, fines,etc, no matter how clean the hit is. This is a shame. The game is seriously gonna start turning old-school hockey fans away with this kinda horses***. Its a damn shame.

Yeah, because players should chance their lives and their futures for the entertainment of some assholes up in the 32nd row yelling "beat his ass" as loud as they can possibly yell it.

Sounds like a plan.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#138 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, because players should chance their lives and their futures for the entertainment of some assholes up in the 32nd row yelling "beat his ass" as loud as they can possibly yell it.

Sounds like a plan.

I've got an idea, every time a guy falls down, its an automatic minor penalty. If tears are present on the victim's face, the criminal shall be kicked out of the game and suspended indefinitely.

sounds like a plan

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien