• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

Jiri Hudler Watch Thread

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

His style was based on being scrappy and working hard. This compensated for his small size.

He's not being scrappy or working hard anymore. He's probably just too comfortable in knowing that he's getting a big payday regardless of what he does. He no longer has that youthful energy and enthusiasm; now he's just a floater. Thus far in the season, he's the new Jason Williams... except that (GASP!) Williams had produced far more at this stage of last season than Hudler has so far.

Just looking at the numbers, I don't see how Hudler is on this team long term. I still don't blame him for going to Russia, he had to do his best to secure his future. But it appears as if that year in la la land caused him to regress.

I think the following players come off the cap next year:

(rough numbers)

Ozzie = 1.4

Draper =1.4

Miller = .6

Eaves = .750

Modano = 1.5

Howard = 1.25

Lids = 6.2

Salei = .750

Ericsson = 1

Roughly 15 million coming off the cap. Let's say the cap goes up 2 million. So they have 17 million in space. 6 goes to Nick(ego, gotta have no less than Rafi). Down to 11. Backup goalie for .750 million and 6th D-man for .750. Down to 9.5 million. If Jimmy were to get 3.5. That puts them down to 6 million. Let's say big E gets 2. Down to 4 million to sign some depth forwards. It is doable, but does he fit in? I just don't think so. Time will tell, but if he stays on the team all year, I won't be surprised if he is dealt at the draft.

Sorry for the length, that thought kinda got away from me.

Edited by South Dakota wings fan

Just looking at the numbers, I don't see how Hudler is on this team long term. I still don't blame him for going to Russia, he had to do his best to secure his future. But it appears as if that year in la la land caused him to regress.

(rough numbers)

Ozzie = 1.4

Draper =1.4

Miller = .6

Eaves = .750

Modano = 1.5

Howard = 1.25

Lids = 6.2

Salei = .750

Ericsson = 1

Roughly 15 million coming off the cap. Let's say the cap goes up 2 million. So they have 17 million in space. 6 goes to Nick(ego, gotta have no less than Rafi). Down to 11. Backup goalie for .750 million and 6th D-man for .750. Down to 9.5 million. If Jimmy were to get 3.5. That puts them down to 6 million. Let's say big E gets 2. Down to 4 million to sign some depth forwards. It is doable, but does he fit in? I just don't think so. Time will tell, but if he stays on the team all year, I won't be surprised if he is dealt at the draft.

Nice post, just one issue, Big E is not getting 2 mil, he might get a hair over 1 mil. And if he wants more we have Kindl and Smith that'd be happy take his spot and perform just as well or better. We'll have a lot of cap space to work with, but you have to assume that Holland will use a lot of that for the raises that Helm, Abby, Kronners, maybe Stuart will be asking for.

Guest mindfly

I think lidstrom will take a million less this time as well so around 5-5.2M IF he continue playing

His continued lack of form, passed the quarter mark of the season, does concern me. It's a very long season though and I'm not giving up on him yet. He's just not playing with the same spark, hunger or energy though, it's as though the intensity has completely been taken away from his game. C'mon Huds, you're a lot better than this mate.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/12/red_wings_patience_with_jiri_h.html

Ansar Kahn is starting to get as frustrated as many LGW faithful.

I'm starting to wonder when Hudler will com around. He is playing like he is still on the gigantic rink where he gets the ice he needs to make plays and not like on an NHL rink where he needs to FIGHT FOR the ice you need to make plays.

2 years ago he did everything he needed to overcome his size and became a huge force. Last year in the KHL was a huge step back and it looks like he forgot how to work as hard he worked in the NHL 2 years ago.

Guest mindfly

Hudler's biggest mistake in his life was his greedyness when he went to the KHL, to me at the moment he is a lost cause, much like Leino was, he won't overcome it here, perhaps in another organization or maybe never.

Edited by mindfly

Hudler's biggest mistake in his life was his greedyness when he went to the KHL, to me at the moment he is a lost cause, much like Leino was, he won't overcome it here, perhaps in another organization or maybe never.

Yes, I agree with you. Who in their right mind would leave the best organization in all the Pro sports, especially to go to the KHL? The same team most players take less money to stay playing for! They should have taken him back and traded him immediately IMHO.

I think some time in GR might be beneficial for Hudler. Let him light it up down there.

If Hudler is waived, and someone picks him up, then the Wings are still responsible for half of his salary for this year and next?? If that is the case, then I don't think it is worth the risk of waiving him. Some team like Toronto, or another who is desperate for offense would pick him up.

Guest Crymson

I think some time in GR might be beneficial for Hudler. Let him light it up down there.

If Hudler is waived, and someone picks him up, then the Wings are still responsible for half of his salary for this year and next?? If that is the case, then I don't think it is worth the risk of waiving him. Some team like Toronto, or another who is desperate for offense would pick him up.

No. That only happens if he is picked up on re-entry waivers.

In any event, I don't think Hudler will care if he gets waived. He's getting paid regardless.

(rough numbers)

Ozzie = 1.4

Draper =1.4

Miller = .6

Eaves = .750

Modano = 1.5

Howard = 1.25

Lids = 6.2

Salei = .750

Ericsson = 1

Forwards who will likely not be returning:

Mike Modano, $1.75m

Kris Draper, $1.583m

TOTAL: 3.338m for 2 forwards

Forwards who will likely be retuning:

Patrick Eaves, $750k

Drew Miller, $650k

TOTAL:

Defenseman who will likely be returning:

Jonathan Ericsson, 900k

Goaltender who will likely be returning:

Jimmy Howard, $717k

Defensemen whose return is questionable:

Nicklas Lidstrom, $6.2m

Ruslan Salei, $1.1m

TOTAL: 7.3m for two defensemen

Goaltender whose return is questionable:

Chris Osgood, $1.417m

So we have a returning cap hit of $44.558m for ten forwards and four defensemen. Figure three forwards, three defensemen, and two goaltenders to be added to that.

Eaves and Miller, maybe $1.25m each. Ericsson perhaps $1.5m. Howard, we'll say $2.25m. This leaves one forward, two defensemen, and one goaltender to acquire with 10.49m. Say Lidstrom returns for $5.5m. This drops the remaining space to $5.49m for 1-1-1. If you retain Salei and Osgood (or replacements) for their positions combined at their current hits it totals to $2.517m, dropping available space to $2.973m. The roster would then have twelve forwards, being (by current cap hit) Dats, Z, Franzen, Flip, Hudler, Cleary, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller. The defense and goaltenders would be the same.

This could of course bring in a strong forward, or leave cap space for call ups and deadline deals. Another consideration is, of course, what if Lidstrom leaves? That opens up one spot on defense and $5.5m in cap space, raising the total to $8.473m to fill out one forward and one defense position. The total space available would be The ideal situation, looking at UFAs due up next year, would be Joni Pitkanen. Highly skilled 27-year-old two-way defenseman, big and strong, with a good physical game. His current hit is $4m and his salary $4.5m, the end of a three year, $12m contract. He would cost closer to $6.5m-$7m if he comes available on the market. So figure $1.473m for another forward. Whether it's a cheap veteran with scoring ability like Modano, a fourth liner, or a spare forward, that's enough to fill out the roster with Hudler on it with or without Lidstrom. That leaves $14.84m under the current cap. Add your estimate of $2m, and that's 16.84m.