Goaltender who will likely be returning:

Jimmy Howard, $717k

Defensemen whose return is questionable:

Nicklas Lidstrom, $6.2m

Ruslan Salei, $1.1m

TOTAL: 7.3m for two defensemen

Goaltender whose return is questionable:

Chris Osgood, $1.417m

So we have a returning cap hit of $44.558m for ten forwards and four defensemen. Figure three forwards, three defensemen, and two goaltenders to be added to that.

Eaves and Miller, maybe $1.25m each.

There's zero chance that our fourth line next year will have two guys who each make more than 1 mil each. We have guys in the farm that could do a decent job on the fourth line, and would be cheaper. maybe Eaves will be the 1mil or higher guy because he is dynamic on the PK, but there is no way there are two guys. Wings will sign only one of those guys anyways since we have Mursak who will be on the club next year and can easily take over for Miller, while doing a better job, plus Emmerton could fill in for Eaves if he asks for more than 1 mil a season.

There's zero chance that our fourth line next year will have two guys who each make more than 1 mil each. We have guys in the farm that could do a decent job on the fourth line, and would be cheaper. maybe Eaves will be the 1mil or higher guy because he is dynamic on the PK, but there is no way there are two guys. Wings will sign only one of those guys anyways since we have Mursak who will be on the club next year and can easily take over for Miller, while doing a better job, plus Emmerton could fill in for Eaves if he asks for more than 1 mil a season.

Plus assuming Howard @ $2.25 is pretty conservative (at the moment anyway)

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/12/red_wings_patience_with_jiri_h.html

Ansar Kahn is starting to get as frustrated as many LGW faithful.

I'm starting to wonder when Hudler will com around. He is playing like he is still on the gigantic rink where he gets the ice he needs to make plays and not like on an NHL rink where he needs to FIGHT FOR the ice you need to make plays.

2 years ago he did everything he needed to overcome his size and became a huge force. Last year in the KHL was a huge step back and it looks like he forgot how to work as hard he worked in the NHL 2 years ago.

Damn.... When was the last time Ansar Khan called out somebody like that?

No. That only happens if he is picked up on re-entry waivers.

In any event, I don't think Hudler will care if he gets waived. He's getting paid regardless.

So if he were to go down to GR, then get re-called, he would have to pass through re-entry waivers, and can get picked up? That is still not good. Maybe he could go on a conditioning stint like Kindl. If Draper were to replace Hudler in the lineup for a month.

So if he were to go down to GR, then get re-called, he would have to pass through re-entry waivers, and can get picked up? That is still not good. Maybe he could go on a conditioning stint like Kindl. If Draper were to replace Hudler in the lineup for a month.

That's assuming he passes waivers on the way down.

It's painful watching him play; watching him repeatedly turn over the puck, hanging out in the fringes of play, showing no heart. Does have brief flashes on the powerplay but that is it. He regressed back to his first season with Babcock - Russia made him lazy. Get some value for him if possible

Plus assuming Howard @ $2.25 is pretty conservative (at the moment anyway)

Totally agree. I kinda hijacked the Hudler thread with my salary cap rant, but I had thought it would be near impossible to keep Hudler on the roster next year if at his price if he is not performing. A lot of whether or not he stays may depend on how much $$ Howard's salary cap is on is next deal. Let's not forget Howie is UFA and not RFA, so he will have more leverage if he wanted to test the open market. I think we are in for a surprise at how much he and Big E get this offseason. Remember how surprised most were when they saw Filppula's cap hit, which was based on potential. Same could happen with E if they want to try to lock him up for a solid term. D corps is bare after 2012.

Totally agree. I kinda hijacked the Hudler thread with my salary cap rant, but I had thought it would be near impossible to keep Hudler on the roster next year if at his price if he is not performing. A lot of whether or not he stays may depend on how much $ Howard's salary cap is on is next deal. Let's not forget Howie is UFA and not RFA, so he will have more leverage if he wanted to test the open market. I think we are in for a surprise at how much he and Big E get this offseason. Remember how surprised most were when they saw Filppula's cap hit, which was based on potential. Same could happen with E if they want to try to lock him up for a solid term. D corps is bare after 2012.

Not true, our top four, so far, is shaping up like:

Kindl/Lashoff

Fournier/Smith

Hmm....

Sold on this...

Weber - Smith

Stuart - Ericsson

Kindl - Lashoff

Nicastro, Almquist, Pyett, Kolosov, Fournier, ect, ect.

;)

As I have said before, if Lidstrom retires at the end of the year, I want Pitkanen. He's two years older than Weber, but he brings more offense while still being very good defensively. Weber is perhaps the better player, but Weber makes more than Pitkanen does now. Both are free agents at the end of the year, but Pitkanen is a UFA and Weber is an RFA. So the Wings would have to give up some hefty assets to pry Weber away from Nashville, while they would simply have to win a bidding war for Pitkanen's services. If the Predators are looking to shed salary, the Wings might be able to pull off a swap that involves Stuart, a prospect, and perhaps a high pick for Weber. This would lock in a solid two-way veteran defenseman for the Predators for next season while reducing the amount of cap hit. That trade would likely require one of Kindl, Smith, or Ericsson to be included.

too bad about huddlecakes :( you've got to think his time is running real short. I had such high hopes for him coming in, and he's somehow turned out worse than Leino and Williams. jesus eff hudler

All three players you mentioned are known almost exclusively for their offense.

Hudler has scored 6 points in 23 games playing 12:19 per game.

Leino scored 7 points in 42 games playing 13:12 per game.

Williams scored 15 points in 44 games playing 13:31 per game.

Offensively, Hudler has already basically matched Leino, with 19 games to spare. Defensively, Hudler is the only one of the three who has ever made an effort.

Your statement fails.

All three players you mentioned are known almost exclusively for their offense.

Hudler has scored 6 points in 23 games playing 12:19 per game.

Leino scored 7 points in 42 games playing 13:12 per game.

Williams scored 15 points in 44 games playing 13:31 per game.

Offensively, Hudler has already basically matched Leino, with 19 games to spare. Defensively, Hudler is the only one of the three who has ever made an effort.

Your statement fails.

I think that we can agree that they all suck. (Or in Leino's case, used to suck.)

Guest Crymson

Hudler tonight:

1) Useless on the power play.

2) Gave up the puck in terrible fashion several times.

3) TURNED BACK ON A BREAKAWAY rather than drive to the net.

Guest Crymson

Hudler was pretty good tonight, set up a couple more chances.

People are just so set in their ways that they can't see it objectively. He was fine tonight, better than everyone on the 2nd line.

That's very arrogant. I think he sucked, and it's very smug of you to tell me that I can't see it objectively and you can.

Every one of the few chances that Hudler contributed to were largely made possible by the hard work of Cleary and Abdelkader. Hudler cruised around, gave up the puck, turned back on a breakaway, and occasionally found someone to pass to. He was hideous.

Guest Stolberg

Hudler was pretty good tonight, set up a couple more chances.

People are just so set in their ways that they can't see it objectively. He was fine tonight, better than everyone on the 2nd line.

VKxJP.jpg

Edited by Stolberg