• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

Jiri Hudler Watch Thread

Rate this topic

Two games with points. His main value. Hope it keeps coming.

yup.

i have always been a hudler supporter... ive been pretty upset at him lately and ready to ship him off. Lets hope this point streak continues.

I'd say it took time down low on the power-play instead of riding the point. Whatever, though, I'm just glad he's putting 'em away.

This. Hudler wasn't suited to playing the point-- his best assets are his playmaking skill and ability to use his deadly shot from the circles down. Blasting shots from the point just isn't suited to his strengths.

edit: Kelsey Grammer

Edited by Drake_Marcus

This. Hudler wasn't suited to playing the point-- his best assets are his playmaking skill and ability to use his deadly shot from the circles down. Blasting shots from the point just isn't suited to his strengths.

edit: Kelsey Grammer

I need more games before I even start re-considering my opinion on Hudler. He has talent, but he doesn't have a lot of size. I said in an earlier thread he doesn't need to be trying to carry the puck into the zone, he needs to play deep. His first goal of the season came from BEHIND the net.

Hudler is a solid play maker, but he kind of sucks with the puck on open ice. He's too small, defense is too big, and so on. His best play-making is done along the boards (Dump and chase), and his best scoring opportunities come from very close to the net. Get him the pass while he's in the slot, and he has a good shot at putting it home.

What we've seen all year from Hudler is either 1) He tries to carry the puck into the zone, and accomplishes nothing as he gets beat off the puck. 2) His goals have all come basically down low, and from positionally accurate places. 3) His playmaking is notable, but he can't generally keep the puck for very long, so if he doesn't make the play rapidly, he loses his opportunity.

I'm sure Babcock is a much brighter hockey mind than I will ever be, but If I had a player similar to Hudler on a team I was coaching (Yeah, sure), I would urge him not to carry the puck, and instead focus on getting into position. Get a bigger guy to carry the puck, or play a dump and chase style, with bigger guys crashing behind the boards, while Hudler plays positionally near the front of the net. In his case, the Right circle should be his territory of movement. I think Hudler should use his playmaking ability when the situation calls for it, but I honestly feel his focus should be positioning, and getting into high percentage shot areas. We shouldn't be using Hudler as a playmaker, or a puck carrier. Those skills are clearly NOT working out well for him.

I'd have hudler play very positional offense, and if his confidence goes up notably, let him expand his own creativity. Until then though, he should be parking himself in high scoring areas, ready to receive the pass. IMO.

Edited by Joey v3.4

Guest Heaten

Anyone whatching Red Wings Live on FSN right now? They asked Hudler about some team mates' new year resolution and he really didn't look interested in talking, in fact he looked pissed and his body language was very negative. Not sure if I am misinterpreting things or reading too deep, but it was odd.

Edited by Heaten

Guest Crymson

RAFALSKI sucks!!!

So does AussieWing (at having faith).

Tatar's first!

Edited by Crymson

Guest Food Stamps

Say what you want, but the past 5 games Hudler has looked very dangerous. He was pointless in NYI, but had a great shot, and set Franzen up with a great Shot.

Say what you want, but the past 5 games Hudler has looked very dangerous. He was pointless in NYI, but had a great shot, and set Franzen up with a great Shot.

Looked dangerous compared to earlier in the season. Still hardly dangerous though

it's tough to be dangerous when you absolutely refuse to shoot the puck

Yup. I was at the Philly game, lower bowl and its frustrating to go watch a guy like him pass up good scoring opportunities constantly.