• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Flip snr

Rate this topic

I really thought that Ilari was going to take a couple of months to get into any kind of groove at GR's.His transition has been smooth and further more his point production has been a rather pleasant surprise. If we compare him to Leino,as they both came out of the SM Liga, then he is the same height but is 5lb heavier. At present he is more than a point a game player and although we are only 11 games into the season all looks good (fingers crossed). Ville played a total of 57 league games with the Griffins where he had 15+31 and a +2 rating. So far Ilari leads the Griffs with 6+9 and is +3. One wonders whether his younger bro gave him much needed inside info on how to prepare for life in the A. Val spent just the one season in GR's as a 21yr old scoring 20+50 in 74 league games,Ilari is already 29 and this may have helped him to adjust as well, I hope he carries on the good form and hopefully we'll see him get a call and play alongside his lil bro.

I really thought that Ilari was going to take a couple of months to get into any kind of groove at GR's.His transition has been smooth and further more his point production has been a rather pleasant surprise. If we compare him to Leino,as they both came out of the SM Liga, then he is the same height but is 5lb heavier. At present he is more than a point a game player and although we are only 11 games into the season all looks good (fingers crossed). Ville played a total of 57 league games with the Griffins where he had 15+31 and a +2 rating. So far Ilari leads the Griffs with 6+9 and is +3. One wonders whether his younger bro gave him much needed inside info on how to prepare for life in the A. Val spent just the one season in GR's as a 21yr old scoring 20+50 in 74 league games,Ilari is already 29 and this may have helped him to adjust as well, I hope he carries on the good form and hopefully we'll see him get a call and play alongside his lil bro.

So what happens after this year? Does he come to camp again next year?

So what happens after this year? Does he come to camp again next year?

I think he'll re-sign and challenge for a spot next season as a back-up forward.

Ilari was also chosen to the AHL all-star team as well this season.

Where'd you hear this, cause that's just a completely random off the wall statement lol.

We all saw Downey at the Wings Stars game right? Well the Griffins commentators were saying he'd been in Griffins doing some strength and conditioning work with Grand Rapids (his job there) but also held some after practice fighting sessions with Brandon Straub and Ilari Filppula.

Ilari apparantly wanted to be able to defend himself, should/when the need arises. Doubt hes going to become a fighter all of a sudden.

I like Ilari. He plays a physical game. Clearly doesn't like the idea of "turning the cheek" either.

I think he'll re-sign and challenge for a spot next season as a back-up forward.

Ilari was also chosen to the AHL all-star team as well this season.

On the one side, he was chosen as Brendan Smith's replacement. On the other side, an AHL columnist was quoted as saying that he firmly believes Ilari is the best player in the Conference, possibly the whole AHL.

I think Ilari has a pretty damn good chance of making the team next year and I really hope he does. He seems like a great guy and a had been a very hard worker since going to the AHL. He can play a moderately physical game, and is pretty skilled too. I dont think he would really be that out of place on any line.

Here's an Finnish article about Filppula. It basically says that Detroit management doesn't see him having a future with the Red Wings. The reporter was interviewing both Holland and Nill.

”I don't see him playing permanently for the Detroit Red Wings”, says GM of the organization Ken Holland in an interview with Urheilulehti (10/2011).

I think Holland brought I. Flip over as a favor (in addition to helping GR). I. Flip likely realized that he would need to go to the AHL before the NHL, and GR is probably best for him since V. Flip is nearby. Then, if Holland likes him, he can move to the Wings. Otherwise, he can sign with another NHL team or go back to Europe.

It'll be interesting to see what he does for next year.

Hmm... Let's play a game of pretend and hypotheticals for a second:

-Let's say he doesn't want to play another year in the AHL and he doesn't want to play for any other team but the Red Wings.

-Obviously, if he wants to continue a career in hockey, he would probably have to play in Europe. So let's say he decides to play in Europe.

-Also, let's say he wants to work on things Kenny and staff say he needs to improve if he wants to play in the NHL: Skating, defensive play, showing a more competitive spirit, etc.

What would be the best league in Europe for him if he wants to work on these things? KHL? SEL? SM-Liiga?