• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Bettman Moving on?

Rate this topic

Oh, don't tease us. Shanny as commissioner would be kickass!

Hardly. Shanny would be kick ass to sign at the trade deadline for league minimum... but commissioner of the NHL? Surely you jest. The owners would burn him alive and piss on the ashes. Do you really want that to happen to Shanny? :)

Edited by Broken 16

A good commissioner will have the stones to tell the owners when they are being idiots and stand up to them to do what's best for the league and convince them to follow his lead, even when they're too scared/stupid to do so on their own...

If that were the case you'd have gotten your wish for a new commish, because Bettman would've been s***canned long, long ago.

not just roll over and do EXACTLY as the owners tell them to do

That's his one and only job, really.

If that were the case you'd have gotten your wish for a new commish, because Bettman would've been s***canned long, long ago.

How do you figure? I didn't say the owners knew what was best for them, I simply stated that he was not it...

They BOG haven't gotten rid of him, because he's a yes man and a lap dog and they like that, but what they NEED is someone who will stand up to them and do what's best for the league, while STILL doing what is best for them($$)... not just rolling over for their half-cocked ideas and wants...

this league should not settle for "just doing enough" when it could have "doing more than expected"

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Shoreline

I'd be giddy with delight if this came to fruition. Doucheman needs to gtfo already.

Since it's already been alluded to...from Toronto Star:

According to a report this week in MediaWeek, ESPN is ready to mount a challenge to bring back hockey, and other reports say FOX is interested in the NHL again, with the league in place to benefit from a mini bidding war to land a deal up to 50 per cent better than what it has right now.

Another paragraph for the "Bettman Legacy".

not just rolling over for their half-cocked ideas and wants...

I'm not sure what you mean by this. They put everything to a vote, don't they? The commissioner doesn't have any absolute authority to do much of anything, as far as I know. Basically just a figurehead. A horrible little troll, weaselly lawyer of a figurehead, maybe; but not someone you would blame, say, the shootout on (which incidentally was Shanahan's idea if I remember correctly).

I think Bettman could be good for the MLB, maybe introducing some much needed changes (e.g. playoffs)... But frankly, you're delusional if you subscribe to the notion that Bettman is the root of all evil and once he is gone everything will change for the better.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. They put everything to a vote, don't they? The commissioner doesn't have any absolute authority to do much of anything, as far as I know. Basically just a figurehead. A horrible little troll, weaselly lawyer of a figurehead, maybe; but not someone you would blame, say, the shootout on (which incidentally was Shanahan's idea if I remember correctly).

A GOOD commissioner is SUPPOSED to offer his ideas and thoughts (just like a lawyer) to persuade the BOG (jury) to his line of thought, which is supposed to be geared towards the best interest of the league and the sport - NOT just be a figurehead, that's wherein the problems lies...

Expansion, All-Star weekend crap, re-alignment, scheduling, rule changes (trapezoid, instigator), marketing, etc, etc, etc... are ALL areas where maybe he didn't MAKE them happen, but he sure didn't stop the stupid owners for jacking them up...

Also, I personally LOVE the shootout for the regular season, it's just the value it's worth that I have a problem with, so I think this is a poor example...

I think Bettman could be good for the MLB, maybe introducing some much needed changes (e.g. playoffs)... But frankly, you're delusional if you subscribe to the notion that Bettman is the root of all evil and once he is gone everything will change for the better.

and someone is delusional if they think that he isn't at least a large part of the problem... they need a STRONG, CONFIDENT leader, to hold the owners hands and make them make tough decisions, even when they're too scared/stupid to do so on their own - not a yes man, which Bettman is.

Also, anyone who uses the example of the league making money as a sign of his success is VERY short-sighted... that's like selling something and saying, well, I made $10, so it was a victory... even though you could have gotten $100 for it - just because they're turning profits, doesn't mean they're as profitable as they COULD have been with a REAL commissioner.

Edited by stevkrause

The main issue i have with Bettman is his refusal to admit that he was "gasp" wrong about expanding to the south and just come out and say i screwed up and move Phoenix, Atlanta, Florida and Columbus to Canadien citys or at least give Seattle a chance. But there was a thread not to long ago on here about an article were the Detroit Free Press Nick Constantinka (I know i totally butchered the spelling) interviewed Gary Bettman and brought up the attendance issues in Phoenix and Bettman said "All of our franchises are capable of doing well, and at one time or another, they all have. The fact is, where we are in Phoenix is unique to Phoenix. To judge Phoenix … If and when there’s a new owner – and we hope there will be, as Bill discussed – I don’t think that will look anything like what you’ve seen for the last two years. So I don’t see any reason for us to be discussing contracting".

When has Phoenix or Columbus or Atlanta done well and trust me a new owner isnt gonna help Phoenix sitatuation. Thats why ill be doing backflips when and if Bettman leaves!

A GOOD commissioner is SUPPOSED to offer his ideas and thoughts (just like a lawyer) to persuade the BOG (jury) to his line of thought, which is supposed to be geared towards the best interest of the league and the sport - NOT just be a figurehead, that's wherein the problems lies... they need a STRONG, CONFIDENT leader, to hold the owners hands and make them make tough decisions, even when they're too scared/stupid to do so on their own - not a yes man, which Bettman is.

Well that all sounds lovely and ideal but I doubt it's what the owners want. And while all of this is in the realm of the hypothetical -- I have no idea what level of meddling the owners would tolerate from their commissioner -- consider this: Bettman was hired out of the NBA and was never a hockey guy. He was picked up by the owners first and foremost to be a lawyer and make them money. He was never brought in to innovate or be a part of the decision making process. The genesis of Gary Bettman the NHL Commissioner is pretty telling to me.

Well that all sounds lovely and ideal but I doubt it's what the owners want. And while all of this is in the realm of the hypothetical -- I have no idea what level of meddling the owners would tolerate from their commissioner -- consider this: Bettman was hired out of the NBA and was never a hockey guy. He was picked up by the owners first and foremost to be a lawyer and make them money. He was never brought in to innovate or be a part of the decision making process. The genesis of Gary Bettman the NHL Commissioner is pretty telling to me.

Fair enough, but the pure fact is that the league has evolved into something very different than it was when he was brought in and the landscape of professional sports as a whole, not to mention the overturn of ownership on quite a few of the franchises in the league. I think if it were put to a vote on a broad scale right now, that there would be a pretty major divide on the parts of the owners, and the old, stodgy tight asses that still own the minority of teams today would be out numbered... hell, some of the most influential owners in the league already have expressed displeasure about Bettman... (Wings, Canadians, Rangers)

Despite Bettman's best efforts, MLB will be going in a different direction.

"Gary Bettman has been campaigning for the job of commissioner of Major League Baseball to succeed Bud Selig," McCown said, "but Stan Kasten is the chosen one."

Sounds like a pipe dream for both Bettman and his haters.

Hardly. Shanny would be kick ass to sign at the trade deadline for league minimum... but commissioner of the NHL? Surely you jest. The owners would burn him alive and piss on the ashes. Do you really want that to happen to Shanny? :)

Um yeah, I guess the jesting part was lost when I responded to a post stating that the shaving of ladies armpits would be an agenda item under Shanahan's NHL :lol:

Guest Shoreline

He was also here for the expansion and pushed it heavily so I'm sure that had some weight in swaying things his way from rather grateful expansion owners who also inherited a vote.

I don't think the cap is Bettman's legacy -- that's the owners saving their own asses. Bettman's legacy is pushing for expansion, then refusing to back down from keeping teams in places they are not viable. That's his to call his own.

Fair enough, but the pure fact is that the league has evolved into something very different than it was when he was brought in and the landscape of professional sports as a whole, not to mention the overturn of ownership on quite a few of the franchises in the league. I think if it were put to a vote on a broad scale right now, that there would be a pretty major divide on the parts of the owners, and the old, stodgy tight asses that still own the minority of teams today would be out numbered... hell, some of the most influential owners in the league already have expressed displeasure about Bettman... (Wings, Canadians, Rangers)

I don't know about the pro-Bettman camp being the minority. Many of the NHL franchises that aren't as well off as Detroit (which can partially be traced to expansion when the owners wanted to get their hands on all of those delicious expansion fees) probably support all the work Bettman has done to wring the cap and revenue sharing and blah blah blah out of the PA.

I know Detroit isn't happy with all of that because it never needed any of it; and so Wings fans happen to be in a rather unique situation where they can say "grr I hate Gary Bettman" and that is in line with what their team's ownership thinks. But I don't think that's where the majority of the NHL stands and that it'll be a while yet before the rest of the NHL outgrows Bettman, if ever.

I don't know about the pro-Bettman camp being the minority. Many of the NHL franchises that aren't as well off as Detroit (which can partially be traced to expansion when the owners wanted to get their hands on all of those delicious expansion fees) probably support all the work Bettman has done to wring the cap and revenue sharing and blah blah blah out of the PA.

I know Detroit isn't happy with all of that because it never needed any of it; and so Wings fans happen to be in a rather unique situation where they can say "grr I hate Gary Bettman" and that is in line with what their team's ownership thinks. But I don't think that's where the majority of the NHL stands and that it'll be a while yet before the rest of the NHL outgrows Bettman, if ever.

They only needed a hard cap because of the poor decision making to put teams where they couldn't be profitable in the first place... I didn't say that the majority would be anti-Bettman, I said the minority were old, stodgy tight asses, most of them have sold off, or passed away.... I think the BOG is probably split evenly into 3 camps right now - Anti-Bettman, Pro-Bettman and Indifferent, however, I think those indifferent could be swayed in a vote... that's all I'm saying... my point is, just because he hasn't pissed them off enough to lose his job does NOT mean he's doing his job right - To quote Office Space, he's just "doing enough to not get fired" and that is not the type of "leader" this league needs...

Guest Crymson

Brendan Shanahan for Commissioner:

-free pony rides for all

-ice girls are mandatory for every NHL team

-drinking beer is encouraged between periods

-shootout? what shootout?

-all women in attendance must shave their underarms

Seriously, though, Shanahan had advocated limiting playoff overtimes and introducing a shootout. Just hearing him say that reduced by half the affection I had for him.

They only needed a hard cap because of the poor decision making to put teams where they couldn't be profitable in the first place

There will never be a successful team in California, screw trying to spread the game to non-traditional markets. There should be no reason to use the global influence the game has as an advantage compared to the other sports. We should all be happy to only have hockey in northern cities and Canada, just think of the exposure it will get! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, Shanahan had advocated limiting playoff overtimes and introducing a shootout. Just hearing him say that reduced by half the affection I had for him.

Where did you see/hear that? I find that hard to believe...

I personally LOVE the SO for the regular season (think the point value needs to be fixed for what they're worth, but that's a separate issue), but playoffs need to ALWAYS be 20 minute periods of 5 on 5 until someone wins - NO EXCEPTIONS

There will never be a successful team in California, screw trying to spread the game to non-traditional markets. There should be no reason to use the global influence the game has as an advantage compared to the other sports. We should all be happy to only have hockey in northern cities and Canada, just think of the exposure it will get! :rolleyes:

Did I say they shouldn't have expanded? No. Don't oversimplify my point, you look like a fool.

I said, and I quote:

They only needed a hard cap because of the poor decision making to put teams where they couldn't be profitable in the first place

That has nothing to do with "non-traditional" markets, it has to do with doing due diligence and research before going into a non-traditional market. Hockey already failed in Atlanta before and Arizona is barely able to sustain 3 other major sports teams, not to mention the complete lack of northern transplants there at the time... California was already working with LA and there are plenty of transplants, TB was a calculated risk and so was Dallas... it's about moving it into "non-traditional" markets ONLY when it makes sense, not just for the sake of moving...

Keep swinging though...

Edited by stevkrause

You cannot be that specific with locations, Bettman doesn't choose to put a franchise in place, the owner does.

And really I'm looking for the long-term future, I really believe that all the franchises can be profitable if given time to get a winning franchise. You aren't going to make money with a loser in a new city in any sport.

California failed before LA as well so don't just pick and choose locations.

Hopefully he doesn't go, things are just starting to look up and Bettman can do some great things business-wise with leverage considering how good the product is. He's done a great job so far.

Yea, great job by not selling Franchises that are hurting everyone to more successful markets right ?? Pheonix should have been sold and moved to Hamilton but because Bettman is soo damn pro USA he won't move them even though the market is thriving and hungry for a team there, not to mention the price Balsille was willing to pay double what anyone else was asking. Yea.. Great job Bettman. :thumbdown: