• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Bettman Moving on?

Rate this topic

You cannot be that specific with locations, Bettman doesn't choose to put a franchise in place, the owner does.

And really I'm looking for the long-term future, I really believe that all the franchises can be profitable if given time to get a winning franchise. You aren't going to make money with a loser in a new city in any sport.

California failed before LA as well so don't just pick and choose locations.

Phoenix had a promisong season last year, and they still can't draw more than 6,500 to a game.

1. Ruin the NBA - CHECK!

2. Ruin the NHL - CHECK!

3. Ruin the MLB -

4. Ruin the NFL -

5. Ruin the MLS -

6. Ruin the PGA -

7, Ruin the WPT -

You cannot be that specific with locations, Bettman doesn't choose to put a franchise in place, the owner does.

But if Bettman doesn't approve of the location the owner wants, he says no. "Either put the team in Santa Fe or you will not get a franchise!"

Press release from the future:

We are pleased and proud to welcome Mr. Gary Bettman as our new leader.

As we start this exciting new chapter in our history, we looked for someone who could enter a sport without prior experience and effect profound changes without bias towards what works and without being encumbered by the knowledge of that has worked in the past.

We are confident that we have found someone who shares our commitment to honesty, integrity, and most of all to the fans.

Welcome, Mr. Bettman to the New WWF.

Guest Scrosby87

wingfanatic and carmen are the only two people on this board who know what they are talking about.

What has Bettman really done wrong? Again, nobody cares about your opinions on rule changes and how he rolls over and doesn't stand up to owners. Not only are those thoughts incorrect, but you sound like a moron. Bettman brought hockey back --- Or don't any of you remember where it was headed before he took it oveR in 93? You guys are telling me you liked that clutch and grab bulls*** style of hockey?

Anyway --- you guys are idiots

Wonder what Electrophile thinks about this.

Lots of four letter words, that's what I think of this. As much as I hate Bud Selig (and boy do I hate him) I ABSOLUTELY 100% DO NOT WANT GARY BETTMAN IN CHARGE OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL OR OTHERWISE EMPLOYED BY MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IN ANY FACSIMILE OR FASHION.

Just no. No, no, no, no.

wingfanatic and carmen are the only two people on this board who know what they are talking about.

What has Bettman really done wrong? Again, nobody cares about your opinions on rule changes and how he rolls over and doesn't stand up to owners. Not only are those thoughts incorrect, but you sound like a moron. Bettman brought hockey back --- Or don't any of you remember where it was headed before he took it oveR in 93? You guys are telling me you liked that clutch and grab bulls*** style of hockey?

Let's see......someone with the screen name "Scrosby87" calling posters here idiots.

Yup, that'll go over well. If you think we're idiots, feel free to find someplace else to piss in the wind.

Another damn troll? Bettman is the only reason you won in '09, so of course you're willing to give him head for the rest of his life as long as he stays commissioner.

I know where the NHL was going, s***sburg just won back to back titles so it was obviously going down the drain! Too bad they didn't move to Kansas City like they threatened to. The city would be much nicer if it didn't have the s*** stains name Lemeiux and Crosby in it...

Extreme? Yes, but that is how much we care about Bettman and Kathy Lee. So go back and re-join your Wizard 101 buddies on your Crosby f*ck fest forum and leave the real hockey talk to the real hockey fans...

Haha... Carmen as a member who knows what he's talking about... That's funny. You basically think a member who's need to be unique is so desperate that he takes pride in being a resident ****** on LGW is a credible source. Great judge of character you are, haha.

Hey now, I don't control what people think of me.

I'm not desperate to be different, I just enjoy conversation between different viewpoints.

Also calling me a ******, and judging my character because my opinion differs says a lot about your own...

Obviously a Pens/Cindy fan likes Bettman, he handed them the Stanley Cup with a bow on it.

Lots of four letter words, that's what I think of this. As much as I hate Bud Selig (and boy do I hate him) I ABSOLUTELY 100% DO NOT WANT GARY BETTMAN IN CHARGE OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL OR OTHERWISE EMPLOYED BY MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IN ANY FACSIMILE OR FASHION.

Just no. No, no, no, no.

MLB won't be interested in Bettman, even the small market teams are happy with the current CBA.

Also in the last decade, MLB has had the most parity in the 4 major sports. Add to that since the early 90's every team except 2, KC and Montreal/Washington, has made the playoffs at least once, in a League that allows the least amount of teams in the post season.

1993 was by far the highest scoring season in the past 17 years. The Devils re-introduced the trap in 95, but it was not until a mediocre team like Florida making the finals in 96 that teams realized it was a superior system under the current rules. In reality, the deadpuck era began in 1997.

Hockey in the 80s, from the Miracle on Ice and the Islanders and Oilers dynasties experienced unprecedented growth that continued into the early 90s with Gretzky signing in LA. Literally from the moment Bettman signed on growth stagnated and Bettman's passive-reactionary policy led directly to 1 1/2 seasons of hockey lost. Despicable.

1993 was by far the highest scoring season in the past 17 years. The Devils re-introduced the trap in 95, but it was not until a mediocre team like Florida making the finals in 96 that teams realized it was a superior system under the current rules. In reality, the deadpuck era began in 1997.

Hockey in the 80s, from the Miracle on Ice and the Islanders and Oilers dynasties experienced unprecedented growth that continued into the early 90s with Gretzky signing in LA. Literally from the moment Bettman signed on growth stagnated and Bettman's passive-reactionary policy led directly to 1 1/2 seasons of hockey lost. Despicable.

Major League Baseball should be scared....very scared

Bettman brought hockey back --- Or don't any of you remember where it was headed before he took it oveR in 93? You guys are telling me you liked that clutch and grab bulls*** style of hockey?

i loled..... Yeah he brought it back alright. The NHL popularity was at its peak in the US the year before he took over. Fast forward 2 lockouts later and the NHL isnt even on ESPN anymore, your lucky if you can watch 2 games a week on some backwoods sports network. Unless you want to spend $200 on some TV package. Lmao "brought it back"....to Pittsburgh maybe....

Anyway--- You're a ******.

No cap works in soccer in europe :thumbup:

No it doesn't.

Man Utd are £800m in debt, Real Madrid & Barcelona are only kept afloat by extorting cheap loans from spanish banks + blackmailing local governments into expensive freebies, coupled with the bizarre spanish accounting laws that allow them to keep operating when in any other country they would be declared bankrupt. The Premier League is the richest league in the world, and almost every club is heavily, heavily in debt.

Oh, and how ironic that Bettman defenders are Penguins/Crosby fans. Says it all really...... :(

Yea, great job by not selling Franchises that are hurting everyone to more successful markets right ?? Pheonix should have been sold and moved to Hamilton but because Bettman is soo damn pro USA he won't move them even though the market is thriving and hungry for a team there, not to mention the price Balsille was willing to pay double what anyone else was asking. Yea.. Great job Bettman. :thumbdown:

there are good reasons why places like Hamilton don't have teams whether you can see it or not

aside from concerns in Hamilton's specific case like taking fans away from Buffalo and Toronto(those two team's ownership have been very actively against having a team in Hamilton for that very reason) it's in Canada so wouldn't do anything towards getting a bigger U.S TV deal unlike say Phoenix

also there's things like corporate sponsorship,and the Canadian cities they could move teams to just plain have a lot less to offer in that area than the big southern cities they can expand to/have expanded to

there's more to the business side of things than just attendance

a LOT more

Edited by ricky0034

I'm reminded of The Who. Meet the new boss... same as the old boss.

Call me a pessimist but I won't be excited until A) It happens B) I see who the new replacement will be.

I really could care a lot less who it is. I'd rather have Delta Burke or Frank Stallone as commissioner of the NHL. Just as long as they get captain smirk out of the NHL. I hate Bettman.

Edited by Konstantinov

Im kind of scared that a pens fan agreed with me :ph34r:

Makes you wonder if your line of thought on this subject might be misguided, doesn't it?

As I've said ALL along, what makes Bettman such an abortion of a commissioner has nothing to do with what he does - it's what he doesn't do.

A good commissioner will have the stones to tell the owners when they are being idiots and stand up to them to do what's best for the league and convince them to follow his lead, even when they're too scared/stupid to do so on their own... not just roll over and do EXACTLY as the owners tell them to do on ALL issues... Bettman is a sniveling, little turd of a man who is nothing more than a puppet for the owners and doesn't know enough/care enough about the game to make the hard decisions and tough stands when needed.

This league needs a STRONG, CONFIDENT leader, to hold the owners hands and convince them to make tough decisions - not a yes man, which Bettman is.

Also, anyone who uses the example of the league making money as a sign of his success is VERY short-sighted... that's like selling something and saying, "well, I made $10, so it was a success", even though you could have made $100 on the sale - Just because the NHL is turning profits, doesn't mean they're as profitable as they COULD have been... Combine those missed opportunities with 1.5 years of lost hockey during his tenure and an inability to bridge the gap between the NHLPA and the BOG, and THAT is his real legacy.

What has Bettman really done wrong? What have you really been smoking there in Pittsburgh? One and a half lockouts, leaving a franchise in Phoenix where it doesn't belong, TV deal with some stupid outdoor sports company... If you're gonna talk about how no one cares about rule changes, then ask us if we liked the clutch and grab style of hockey, you are a flippin' ******. Integrity or GTFO.