• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockey13Playa

Bettman Moving on?

Rate this topic

The next Commissioner of Major League Baseball should be Mr. George Walker Bush. In the past, he has demonstrated a knowledge of the game. And he is well rested, as he has done pretty much nothing in the last last ten years.

Agreed.

The next Commissioner of Major League Baseball should be Mr. George Walker Bush. In the past, he has demonstrated a knowledge of the game. And he is well rested, as he has done pretty much nothing in the last last ten years.

Yes, please bring Politics into general discussion.

That's what this thread was missing.

Which is?

Bettman has not done as bad of a job that many of you make his work out to be. His job has very little to do with the many things people criticize him for.

a bankrupt ice hockey team in the desert that the league owns despite that fact that a Canadian city or two would die for a team

a tv contract with a network that the majority of people can't get

a skills competition deciding 14% of the games

a salary cap that forces teams to be dismantled after winning 1 championship

a win/lost point system that over-values the skills competition

non-reviewable calls that can have resulted in the wrong calls being made despite videos clearly showing that they were wrong

a marketing campaign that only shows commericals for hockey on hockey channels

Several hockey teams in non-hockey markets that are losing money every year

the inability of the fans to watch an out of market hockey game without paying for it

etc

Exactly...

ugh, can we PLEASE not go down this road again?!?! politics does not belong on this board in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, politics does not belong here. But c'mon, the joke was funny.

a bankrupt ice hockey team in the desert that the league owns despite that fact that a Canadian city or two would die for a team

non-reviewable calls that can have resulted in the wrong calls being made despite videos clearly showing that they were wrong

the inability of the fans to watch an out of market hockey game without paying for it

etc

To take the shootout thing a bit further, should we really be rewarding points to a team that loses anyways? Bring back the tie.

To take the shootout thing a bit further, should we really be rewarding points to a team that loses anyways? Bring back the tie.

yep. +1.

2 points for a win, 1 point each for a tie, 0 points for a loss. Anything else is crap, imho.

ontopic: I have hate, both rational and irrational, for Buttsqueeze. I would be glad to see him go.

edit: i guess i should clarify....make the romper room shootouts go away.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

I agree but unfortunately, they will never get rid of the shootout. I'd be happy if every game was worth 3 points. 3 for a regulation or OT win, 2 for a SO win, 1 for a SO loss and zero for a regulation loss.

IMO an OT win is as good as a regulation win as long as "normal" hockey is being played and 4 on 4 is close enough.

etc

Not to play Devil's advocate, but all those issues are to be blamed on the BOG, not necessarily Bettman himself... the problem with Bettman is, that he does not know enough/care enough/have the balls to stand up to the BOG when they are making OBVIOUSLY poor decisions and persuade them to do the right thing... he really is just a figure head, the problem is, the league doesn't need a figure head, they need a REAL leader and for THAT, he should be removed...

For example - See Roger Goodell and Paul Tagliabue before that... THAT is how a professional sport leagues commissioner should be.

Edited by stevkrause

Makes you wonder if your line of thought on this subject might be misguided, doesn't it?

As I've said ALL along, what makes Bettman such an abortion of a commissioner has nothing to do with what he does - it's what he doesn't do.

A good commissioner will have the stones to tell the owners when they are being idiots and stand up to them to do what's best for the league and convince them to follow his lead, even when they're too scared/stupid to do so on their own... not just roll over and do EXACTLY as the owners tell them to do on ALL issues... Bettman is a sniveling, little turd of a man who is nothing more than a puppet for the owners and doesn't know enough/care enough about the game to make the hard decisions and tough stands when needed.

This league needs a STRONG, CONFIDENT leader, to hold the owners hands and convince them to make tough decisions - not a yes man, which Bettman is.

Also, anyone who uses the example of the league making money as a sign of his success is VERY short-sighted... that's like selling something and saying, "well, I made $10, so it was a success", even though you could have made $100 on the sale - Just because the NHL is turning profits, doesn't mean they're as profitable as they COULD have been... Combine those missed opportunities with 1.5 years of lost hockey during his tenure and an inability to bridge the gap between the NHLPA and the BOG, and THAT is his real legacy.

I think my comments were misunderstood by no means am i a Bettman fan i said the biggest thing for me as to why i dont like him and ill be doing back flips when he actually does leave is his refusal to admit hockey in the south failed. Among other things is having a tv deal with versus. I just wanted to clear up what i said if anything was misunderstood.

Lots of four letter words, that's what I think of this. As much as I hate Bud Selig (and boy do I hate him) I ABSOLUTELY 100% DO NOT WANT GARY BETTMAN IN CHARGE OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL OR OTHERWISE EMPLOYED BY MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IN ANY FACSIMILE OR FASHION.

Just no. No, no, no, no.

Who's a big young star in the MLB these days?

Can't you just imagine hearing their name over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

...and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over?

Guest Stolberg

i really wish bettman hadn't expanded into the south. now all these bankrupt teams are leeching off the others

*cough* canadian assistance plan *cough*

Edited by Stolberg

The whole reason for giving the loser point was to make OT more exciting. 4on4 OT is tremendously exciting because both teams go for it knowing they've already got a point in the bag and aren't going to lose anything. Get rid of the loser point and OT will suddenly become much more defensive.

Personally I'd rather go to 10 minutes for the 4on4, then 1 point each, but I know many Americans are incapable of grasping the concept of a tie.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Not to play Devil's advocate, but all those issues are to be blamed on the BOG, not necessarily Bettman himself... the problem with Bettman is, that he does not know enough/care enough/have the balls to stand up to the BOG when they are making OBVIOUSLY poor decisions and persuade them to do the right thing... he really is just a figure head, the problem is, the league doesn't need a figure head, they need a REAL leader and for THAT, he should be removed...

For example - See Roger Goodell and Paul Tagliabue before that... THAT is how a professional sport leagues commissioner should be.

You make it sound like he's been hired to be nothing but a yes man. So, if the BOG is to blame for everything... What is the point of the position? Who is to blame?

Guest CaliWingsNut

So either Bettman is responsible for everything or nothing?

no... but what do you think he is or isn't responsible for?

Edited by CaliWingsNut

no... but what do you think he is or isn't responsible for?

According to the NHL Constitution, Article VI, section 6.1:

”6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened.“[1]

In Section 6.3, his duties are spelled out as having "responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the League", co-ordinates matters between member clubs and serves as the principal public spokesman for the League. The Commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, League committees, interpretation of League rules, appointment of League staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers.[2] The Commissioner also determines the date and places of Board of Governor meetings.

"NHL Constitution, Article VI, section 6.1:

”...The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League."

:lol: Yes, he has been awesome at this. :thumbdown:

"...The Commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, League committees, interpretation of League rules, appointment of League staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers."

The "officials" part explains why he 100% backs the officials even when it's completely clear they hosed up. The "scheduling" part explains why we had the Pens/Wings SCF scheduling debacle before. But my question is does the "authority over...disciplinary powers" part mean that everyone who chimes in with "You know Colin Cambell decides the suspensions not Bettman" after ridiculous suspenions/non-suspensions can politely f*** off?

esteef

According to the NHL Constitution, Article VI, section 6.1:

”6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened.“[1]

In Section 6.3, his duties are spelled out as having "responsibility for the general supervision and direction of all business and affairs of the League", co-ordinates matters between member clubs and serves as the principal public spokesman for the League. The Commissioner also has authority over dispute resolution, League committees, interpretation of League rules, appointment of League staff, NHL financial matters, contracting authority, scheduling, officials and disciplinary powers.[2] The Commissioner also determines the date and places of Board of Governor meetings.

Thank you Doc!

Point. Set. Match - Anyone still want to say he's done his job well, or is your foot too far in your mouth to do so?