• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

All-Star Game format change being considered

Rate this topic

While the concept hasn't been officially signed off on, sources say that the process of how players are selected may change for this year's event in North Carolina.

Fan voting would still be utilized to determine the game's starters, while the NHL's Hockey Operations department would select the rest of the weekend's All-Star participants.

An interesting twist would see the appointed captains for each conference draft a team from the players selected from the larger group assembled by Hockey Operations.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340505

It's different and I don't hate it, but I still think it should go back to the days where every team sends 1 representative chosen by the coach and the following 10 roster spots per conference get voted in by the fans... then the fans can vote again out of the selected participants for starting 6... that's what I would like...

The "drafting" idea is interesting. Although I think it would be better if the coaches were the ones picking the teams.

The fan voting is a bit of a joke and very flawed, as demonstrated by Habs fans last ASG.

I liked the idea that several folks have brought up in the comments. Have all the selected players throw their sticks in a pile, and either have the captains take turns picking a stick, or just have like Bettman go to the pile and throw them either way. Would be a cool way to pick the teams, getting back to the shinny roots.

It's different and I don't hate it, but I still think it should go back to the days where every team sends 1 representative chosen by the coach and the following 10 roster spots per conference get voted in by the fans... then the fans can vote again out of the selected participants for starting 6... that's what I would like...

I would like this as well.

I actually like this idea. The sticks in a pile selection would be even cooler. I also like how the players vote for the captains. Honestly, it has me a little more interested, and I know several other non-hockey fans who are interested in the idea.

Crosby vs Ovechkin would be so lame.

I honestly don't know if they would be the selected captains. From what I understand, it's the players that get to choose the captains.

$50 that the two captains are Crosby and Ovechkin.

Possibly, but doubtful. I heard the 2 captains would be voted on by the group of 42 players selected to play in the game, those 2 will then draft their teams.

It's an interesting concept, but not all that different for the fans. All the players in the game are selected the same way, the only difference is what side each player will be playing on. Seems like more fun for the players vs. anything else. Not sure why that would be all that more interesting to the fans than simply East vs. West.

I quite like this idea, I take it that the conference boundries are removed so in theory all players could be chosen from the west or indeed the east. I think this would mean that the best players in the league would be selected regardless of their conference.

Guest Crymson

The All-Star game has been so boring and so botched up for so long that I've simply stopped watching. Given that and given the fact that it has no real effect on the NHL season, I couldn't care less about what's done with it.