• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dropkickshanahans

Should we risk our future for an elite defenseman?

Rate this topic

I've been thinking about this recently and knowing once Lidstrom retires is when the team could take a drastic turn. What should Kenny do to replace him or fix the situation?

Looking at our prospects and the players we have now, I feel that our forward lines are set for a long time. Should we risk a bunch of our future picks and some prospects and/or players to get someone like Drew Doughty here? I know that's very unlikely but it's fun to think about what's smart or not to get a player like him here.

I think he'll be the next best defenseman in the league once Lidstrom retires and will consistently be nominated to win many Norris trophies, and I feel that with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen being here for another 5-10 years, our bottom lines for longer, along with some upcoming forward prospects I feel really good about, that we would be fine after packaging many picks+prospects or players to try and get him here.

What do you all think? Would giving up a lot to get Doughty here be worth it, or would the smart thing be to ride it out, stay confident in Kronwall and let some players like Kindl, Smith and in the future Almqvist see what they can do while keeping the picks and drafting smart?

Also, if not Doughty, who else would you like to see us go after for as good or a cheaper price (value wise)?

Edited by dropkickshanahans

you won't be getting an elite defenseman with "picks and prospects"

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I didn't limit it to just "picks and prospects," although that's not the point of my thread. Again, what's the smarter move if theoretically we could offer so much?

Lids will leave an unfillable void but we won't suddenly drop to the bottom of the barrel! We have 3 really good defensemen in Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall and if Ericsson learns how to play a big mans game and Smith and Kindl keep progressing we should be ok on Defense... we may not be able to get away with Mr. Mediocre in net anymore though.

The guy didnt ask for 'would they let him go' 'is it possible'. He just wants to know if that was the situation would you like to see it?

I'd personally like the fact that the Red Wings build mainly from within their organization, I'd like to see the kids develop!

Lids can't be replaced. It will have to be done by committee. I like Stuart, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Raffi in the meantime - but the Wings will have to sign a #2-3 defenseman to keep up.

Brent Seabrook is an RFA after this season, and so is Jack Johnson.

the problem with this is its hard to even come up with a hypothetical that would land an elite dman. i can only imagine what it would take to get doughty. i don't think the wings have anywhere near enough assets to land him.

the wings don't have enough assets to trade for a top D. we probably won't have the cap space in the near future to sign one as a FA. i don't really see how there's much to debate.

I asked this the other day, who could you even sign to replace lids? Keith and Doughty are the only ones in the league remotely close to lids skill even at 40. Obv there will be some cap space when lids retire, but who would you even chose? Stick with Kindl and Smith

Edited by brett

I agree with the sentiment of most of the posters, if a elite defenseman were available such as Doughty from LA, the cost to aquire him via trade would be too high in my opinion. If it were an offer sheet or FA situation then I would say do whatever it takes.

I didn't really think of the cap space situation one would assume you can use the 6.2 of lids contract plus the 1.3 of Draper to go sign someone but Jimmy Howard is due for a raise after this season, more than likely somewhere around 3-4 million long term. And we will have Abdelkader and Helm to resign, we'll have to think about replacements for aging players like Modano, Holmstrom and Bertuzzi who's contracts are more than likely undervalued for the skill they provide.

I don't think it's as simple as 7million on the next Lidstrom

Edited by Booster313

Guest mindfly

Since rafalski has a NTC, letting lidstrom walk away after this season and signing weber/suter might be a good idea, they're the best FA's this summer..

I agree with the sentiment of most of the posters, if a elite defenseman were available such as Doughty from LA, the cost to aquire him via trade would be too high in my opinion. If it were an offer sheet or FA situation then I would say do whatever it takes.

How high is too high? I'm not a big trade guy when it comes to hockey, so as far as value goes (going off of the Kessel trade) would 2 1st rounds and 2 2nd rounds + Kronwall and/or Smith and Filppula be fair but too much for us? Or would that still require more?

Actually come to think of it the Kessel trade is a bad example since we'll be in the late rounds. 3 1sts and 2 2nds + Kronwall, Smith, Filppula? This is what makes me think since that's 3 years of no higher round developed players, but we get Doughty, perhaps get another Salei type player in FA, and sit on the fact that we're comfortable with our forward prospects.

it would be stupid to risk our future just so we could have a one or two good year runs, sure i want the wings in it every year, but just knowing the talent that will be coming up is awesome. so after lids does retire if the wings struggle like they did last year whatever because the upcoming players are going to be great

Guest mindfly

They gotta use some of lidstrom 6.2M for a player to fill part of the void they cant just have stuart, kronwall a almost 40year old rafalski, kindl, ericsson and smith as their complete D

How high is too high? I'm not a big trade guy when it comes to hockey, so as far as value goes (going off of the Kessel trade) would 2 1st rounds and 2 2nd rounds + Kronwall and/or Smith and Filppula be fair but too much for us? Or would that still require more?

Actually come to think of it the Kessel trade is a bad example since we'll be in the late rounds. 3 1sts and 2 2nds + Kronwall, Smith, Filppula?

I think that's way too much...as far as is it enough... probably. But you are talking giving up 5 draft picks, a top four defenseman, a top six forward and a potential top four defenseman. Smith is probably our best young defenseman in the system (at least potential wise).

I like the idea of resigning Lidstrom next year and for one final year, and worrying about a a UFA or RFA in 2012 there is a nice crop available that year including Mike Green and Brent Burns we'd also have Stuart and Rafalski coming off the books that year, even if we resign both of them it won't be at the same combined price they are earning now.

I think that when Lidstrom retires Holland will have no choice but to go after a #1 d-man. We have a great supporting cast with Kronwall, Raffi and Stuart but they are not enough to try and fill the gap. With Nicks cap hit off the books and perhaps Hudlers maybe there will be enough space to get a #1 guy in the off season. I don't believe that the Wings have the assets to get one via trade. Doughty and Seabrook would be my top choices.

Guest Heaten

First, I think Lidstrom re-signs for one more year. Second, I think Holland signs the best FA that he can to fill the void when Lidstrom does retire. My bet is he'll sign someone who isn't projected to be a "Lidstrom" replacement, but turns out to be a steal. Holland is savvy and Red Wings employ the best hockey minds in the world. I doubt Red Wings will make the SCF every year during transition, but I'm sure a solid team is built that can compete for the cup.

Sure I'm worried about that dreadful day when Lidstrom announces his retirement. Then I remember this is the Detroit Red Wings, the best hockey franchise in the world and an owner that employs the best hockey minds in the world. I have a feeling Holland and Co. will pull a rabbit out of the hat.

I don't see that we can possibly fill that void no matter what. We will have to "spackle" as best we can, preferrably with a late-round draft pick that everyone else overlooked but is actually on par with our other famous late-rounders.

Seriously, how much time and how much money did the Wings spend trying to replace Vladdy? And we never could. We've been very, very fortunate to have these types of irreplaceable players on our team. The problem is living with the void that is inevitably left when they're gone.

Guest mindfly

where is that god damn minus button???

are you serious???

U mad? (haha getting old)

Why not plan for the future already instead of getting handcuffed late in the season when lidstrom decides to hang em up..its better to make a move sooner rather than later