• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

"Smith is NHL Ready" - Ken Holland

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Here's an interesting tid-bit. Brendan Smith is better offensivley than Mike Green at the same age.

Same age AHL stats:

Brendan Smith = 12 GP, 5G, 6A, with 11 points (19 PIM)

Green (same age with NHL experience) = 12 GP, 3G, 5A, with 8 points (26 PIM)

That said, the startling difference it the +/-. While Green scored less points, he was +8. Smith is a -4. Smith is not ready for the NHL.

Edited by Heaten

who are you implying that we should remove from our current defense?

here's an idea..........Ericsson

get rid of him already. cut ties. trade him for something, anything. that way we can insert Kindl and Smith, both getting valuable time in the NHL

Edited by NotTooAbby

get rid of him already. cut ties. trade him for something, anything. that way we can insert Kindl and Smith, both getting valuable time in the NHL

I would say that Ericsson has played pretty well since he has been back from the injury. He has made some really good plays, and has even scored a goal.

Guest Heaten

Ericsson is heaps better defensively than Smith is. Sure glad you're not GM of the Red Wings... but man, I'd love it if you were the GM for Penguins or Blackhawks :thumbup:

Guest Stolberg

smith's only 21, don't really see much use in rushing him into the nhl at this point. i don't think he'll ever be great defensively but he'll be able to shore up his game in the ahl

I think Smith can be a force defensively. He's just been able to rely on offense for college. He's got the tools, i'm really interested to see how he progresses this season.

Also whoever pointed out the +/- of mike green in the AHl should note that Hershey was the best team in the AHL by far. Not to mention +/- is a very unreliavle stat for

defensive ability.

Usually I would agree to get someone up in the pros asap, for example I was all about having Matt Stafford start his rookie year and learn the game and learn from his own mistakes. The difference is, the Lions were an awful team, so you can do something like that with a young team rebuilding. Not with the Wings. We're one of the top teams in the league and we don't need to rush a kid that's not completely ready when we have one of the best defensemen in the league and a top defense overall.

Kenny giveth, Kenny taketh away.

seriously... I'm OK with Wings conditioning the youth in AHL longer than the other teams. it's been working like that for quite some time and the system is fine to inject some new blood rather than overhaul the team that is in no need to do it.

last but not least... please don't use words Mike Green and defense in one sentence other than when it's a contradiction. thank you

Guest Crymson

Personally, I'm just excited we have players like Smith that induce discussions like this. Good problems people. Good problems.

Not if you're Mindfly.

Sigh.

Edited by Crymson

I would have to completely disagree with getting rid of Ericsson... especially since he has looked good since coming back from injury.

I agree with Mindfly, to bring him up to the NHL, maybe not this season as he's lighting up the minors and thats more than likely helping. Definitely next season tho give him some NHL time.

Not what I was talking about at all. I'm talking about being a moron in the locker room; stupid meaningless fights with teammates during practice and getting benched for a couple games the year before last. Then last year he made an improvement as at least he was able to only get benched for one game. With him you always have to worry about signs of Sergei Fedorov behavior on the ice. Hot dogging at its finest.

agree

Here's an interesting tid-bit. Brendan Smith is better offensivley than Mike Green at the same age.

Same age AHL stats:

Brendan Smith = 12 GP, 5G, 6A, with 11 points (19 PIM)

Green (same age with NHL experience) = 12 GP, 3G, 5A, with 8 points (26 PIM)

That said, the startling difference it the +/-. While Green scored less points, he was +8. Smith is a -4. Smith is not ready for the NHL.

And that's based on what? TWELVE GAMES

Were you sleeping during Probability and Statistics 101?

Then when Smith has 1 Bad year we can trade him and bring in the next guy until he has a bad rookie year then we trade him and bring in the next guy until....

Guest Heaten

And that's based on what? TWELVE GAMES

Were you sleeping during Probability and Statistics 101?

Then when Smith has 1 Bad year we can trade him and bring in the next guy until he has a bad rookie year then we trade him and bring in the next guy until....

Yes, 12 AHL games at the same age. Yes, I was sleeping through your imaginary Probability and Statistics 101 theory.

I hope that Smith develops as I've heard talk of him doing so. Ericcson, Kindl and him all have a lot of potential. None of them are the next Lidstrom, but hopefully, the three of them, in the future can work together to fill in the gap left by Lids.

Not what I was talking about at all. I'm talking about being a moron in the locker room; stupid meaningless fights with teammates during practice and getting benched for a couple games the year before last. Then last year he made an improvement as at least he was able to only get benched for one game. With him you always have to worry about signs of Sergei Fedorov behavior on the ice. Hot dogging at its finest.

Sergei Fedorov carried us on his back to a cup before. I'm ok if Smith is Fedorov-esque.

Isn't there another thing to consider, and thats the age he becomes an RFA? I forget the exact number, but isn't it something like 8 games before your ELC kicks in, and you'll eligable to be an RFA 3 years after that? So basically, if he plays 8 games this season, and he turns into the stud we're hoping, we have to give him a pay rise 1 year earlier.

Guest Crymson

Sergei Fedorov carried us on his back to a cup before. I'm ok if Smith is Fedorov-esque.

When was this? I don't remember it.