• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

"Smith is NHL Ready" - Ken Holland

Rate this topic

This kid will over-ripen in the AHL just like those before him have. Not a bad thing, just what the Wings do.

Over-ripen is a relative term, Abby and Helm were at the AHL level less time than Kindl or Howard, but all of them over-ripened in GR.

No need to rush the guy. At the moment, he's the most promising defensive prospect in the system. Does the team really need him right now? They're 9-3-1 and not playing the best hockey that they can. Let the kid play 20+ minutes in the AHL, excel, learn all the little nuances of the game and become a better overall player for it.

I would still keep him in the AHL for another full year after this one, but that's just my opinion. Doesn't seem to me like Lidstrom feels like slowing down, and as such I think he'll be around another year.

Guest Shoreline

So basically, the two things that set the Wings apart from almost every other team in the NHL, patient development and loyalty, are completely lost on you. Yet you celebrate the Cups. Hmmmmm.

If you loosely define "celebrate".

THE DETROIT RED WINGS ARE THE 2008 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

mindfly: Ugh, Lidstrom's skate to the group to celebrate looked a little off he's getting old. Oh and look at that jump. Wow, Ozzie didn't prevent that helmet from making it into the net, definitely not gonna be our go-to guy next year. I bet Luongo or some guy rated 90+ on NHL 08 could better stop that helmet from making it in the net.

And maybe most people have forgot by now but I distinctly remember mindfly saying this team will lose the 08 cup finals because the Wings lost Game 5 in 3OT.

Edited by Shoreline

So... What are you waiting for Mr.Holland? This is what obviously differs red wings' from other franchises, any other franchise would let Smith play in their lineup but not kenny... yeah yeah they've had alot of success by keeping ready players in the AHL, but 15mins a night in the NHL would develope Smith quiet a lot as well...i'm certain of it.

I totally misunderstood you, Mindfly.

I used to think you were a troll, and I'm sure on some occasions that was true of you. But after reading your input in this thread it has become painfully obvious. You are just indescribably stupid.

Isn't there another thing to consider, and thats the age he becomes an RFA? I forget the exact number, but isn't it something like 8 games before your ELC kicks in, and you'll eligable to be an RFA 3 years after that? So basically, if he plays 8 games this season, and he turns into the stud we're hoping, we have to give him a pay rise 1 year earlier.

you have 10 games to send a player back to juniors or college and not use a year of their ELC. smith is no longer eligible for that clause. the clock is now clicking on him regardless.

you have 10 games to send a player back to juniors or college and not use a year of their ELC. smith is no longer eligible for that clause. the clock is now clicking on him regardless.

Why is Smith no longer eligable for this, given that this is his first year as a pro? (not doubting you, just curious)

So... What are you waiting for Mr.Holland? This is what obviously differs red wings' from other franchises, any other franchise would let Smith play in their lineup but not kenny... yeah yeah they've had alot of success by keeping ready players in the AHL, but 15mins a night in the NHL would develope Smith quiet a lot as well...i'm certain of it.

yes, we need another player for the imaginary 4th D- pairing or we could have a hybrid 5th forward line. It could be Draper- Eaves - Smith

Edited by Spongewingredpants

Why is Smith no longer eligable for this, given that this is his first year as a pro? (not doubting you, just curious)

because hes already played in over 10 games. :P

i assume he had another year of eligibility in college, however, i think he had declared he wasn't going back. part of the problem with college kids as opposed to junior players is that if you are going back to school, you have class in august. so you need to know what you are doing. with chl players, their teams are always more than happy to have them back, but with college, its kind of hard to wait until october to decide after that 9th game.