• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Personally, I'm just excited we have players like Smith that induce discussions like this. Good problems people. Good problems.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

Personally, I'm just excited we have players like Smith that induce discussions like this. Good problems people. Good problems.

Not if you're Mindfly.

here's an idea..........Ericsson

get rid of him already. cut ties. trade him for something, anything.
that way we can insert Kindl and Smith, both getting valuable time in the NHL

Sigh.

Edited by Crymson, 10 November 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#43 SpIkE

SpIkE

Rookie

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

I would have to completely disagree with getting rid of Ericsson... especially since he has looked good since coming back from injury.

I agree with Mindfly, to bring him up to the NHL, maybe not this season as he's lighting up the minors and thats more than likely helping. Definitely next season tho give him some NHL time.

#44 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Not what I was talking about at all. I'm talking about being a moron in the locker room; stupid meaningless fights with teammates during practice and getting benched for a couple games the year before last. Then last year he made an improvement as at least he was able to only get benched for one game. With him you always have to worry about signs of Sergei Fedorov behavior on the ice. Hot dogging at its finest.

agree

#45 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Here's an interesting tid-bit. Brendan Smith is better offensivley than Mike Green at the same age.

Same age AHL stats:

Brendan Smith = 12 GP, 5G, 6A, with 11 points (19 PIM)

Green (same age with NHL experience) = 12 GP, 3G, 5A, with 8 points (26 PIM)

That said, the startling difference it the +/-. While Green scored less points, he was +8. Smith is a -4. Smith is not ready for the NHL.

And that's based on what? TWELVE GAMES

Were you sleeping during Probability and Statistics 101?

Then when Smith has 1 Bad year we can trade him and bring in the next guy until he has a bad rookie year then we trade him and bring in the next guy until....
Do or do not. There is no try

#46 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

And that's based on what? TWELVE GAMES

Were you sleeping during Probability and Statistics 101?

Then when Smith has 1 Bad year we can trade him and bring in the next guy until he has a bad rookie year then we trade him and bring in the next guy until....

Yes, 12 AHL games at the same age. Yes, I was sleeping through your imaginary Probability and Statistics 101 theory.

#47 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

I hope that Smith develops as I've heard talk of him doing so. Ericcson, Kindl and him all have a lot of potential. None of them are the next Lidstrom, but hopefully, the three of them, in the future can work together to fill in the gap left by Lids.

#48 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Not what I was talking about at all. I'm talking about being a moron in the locker room; stupid meaningless fights with teammates during practice and getting benched for a couple games the year before last. Then last year he made an improvement as at least he was able to only get benched for one game. With him you always have to worry about signs of Sergei Fedorov behavior on the ice. Hot dogging at its finest.

Sergei Fedorov carried us on his back to a cup before. I'm ok if Smith is Fedorov-esque.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#49 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:44 AM

Isn't there another thing to consider, and thats the age he becomes an RFA? I forget the exact number, but isn't it something like 8 games before your ELC kicks in, and you'll eligable to be an RFA 3 years after that? So basically, if he plays 8 games this season, and he turns into the stud we're hoping, we have to give him a pay rise 1 year earlier.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:13 AM

Sergei Fedorov carried us on his back to a cup before. I'm ok if Smith is Fedorov-esque.

When was this? I don't remember it.

#51 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

Smith - Kronwall
Kindl - Lashoff
Almquist - Nicastro

Maybe one day...

Obviously I also have hopes for: Fournier, Pyett, Kolosov, Jensen, Kolosov.

I rate Pyett higher than most.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#52 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

When was this? I don't remember it.

Probably 97 playoffs. Federov led the team in the playoffs with 20 points. Wait, I think he had 20 points in the playoffs in 98 too...

#53 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

This kid will over-ripen in the AHL just like those before him have. Not a bad thing, just what the Wings do.

Over-ripen is a relative term, Abby and Helm were at the AHL level less time than Kindl or Howard, but all of them over-ripened in GR.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#54 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

Probably 97 playoffs. Federov led the team in the playoffs with 20 points. Wait, I think he had 20 points in the playoffs in 98 too...

BFD. Those two Detroit teams were elite all around regardless.

Posted Image

#55 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

No need to rush the guy. At the moment, he's the most promising defensive prospect in the system. Does the team really need him right now? They're 9-3-1 and not playing the best hockey that they can. Let the kid play 20+ minutes in the AHL, excel, learn all the little nuances of the game and become a better overall player for it.

I would still keep him in the AHL for another full year after this one, but that's just my opinion. Doesn't seem to me like Lidstrom feels like slowing down, and as such I think he'll be around another year.

#56 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

So basically, the two things that set the Wings apart from almost every other team in the NHL, patient development and loyalty, are completely lost on you. Yet you celebrate the Cups. Hmmmmm.

If you loosely define "celebrate".

THE DETROIT RED WINGS ARE THE 2008 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

mindfly: Ugh, Lidstrom's skate to the group to celebrate looked a little off he's getting old. Oh and look at that jump. Wow, Ozzie didn't prevent that helmet from making it into the net, definitely not gonna be our go-to guy next year. I bet Luongo or some guy rated 90+ on NHL 08 could better stop that helmet from making it in the net.

And maybe most people have forgot by now but I distinctly remember mindfly saying this team will lose the 08 cup finals because the Wings lost Game 5 in 3OT.

Edited by Shoreline, 11 November 2010 - 12:15 PM.

#57 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

So... What are you waiting for Mr.Holland? This is what obviously differs red wings' from other franchises, any other franchise would let Smith play in their lineup but not kenny... yeah yeah they've had alot of success by keeping ready players in the AHL, but 15mins a night in the NHL would develope Smith quiet a lot as well...i'm certain of it.

I totally misunderstood you, Mindfly.

I used to think you were a troll, and I'm sure on some occasions that was true of you. But after reading your input in this thread it has become painfully obvious. You are just indescribably stupid.
Rough as guts.

#58 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Isn't there another thing to consider, and thats the age he becomes an RFA? I forget the exact number, but isn't it something like 8 games before your ELC kicks in, and you'll eligable to be an RFA 3 years after that? So basically, if he plays 8 games this season, and he turns into the stud we're hoping, we have to give him a pay rise 1 year earlier.

you have 10 games to send a player back to juniors or college and not use a year of their ELC. smith is no longer eligible for that clause. the clock is now clicking on him regardless.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#59 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

Does this mean the "Jakub Kindl Bandwagon" has one less rider?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#60 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:12 AM

you have 10 games to send a player back to juniors or college and not use a year of their ELC. smith is no longer eligible for that clause. the clock is now clicking on him regardless.

Why is Smith no longer eligable for this, given that this is his first year as a pro? (not doubting you, just curious)
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk