• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

And I thought the Free Press writers were bad. It seems to be the thing to do once the hockey season gets underway, the opposing team's sports writer does an article about how bad the crime is in Detroit. Yeah, we get it, the city's got problems. Our hockey team is still going to kick your ass, get over it.

http://www.edmontons...0/16078546.html

DETROIT — Welcome to Detroit, where the forecast, as always, is muggy, with a chance of murder.

When you’re trying to breathe a little life back into your year, this is not the place to visit. And not just because they use more white chalk at crime scenes than they ever did in the schools.

I guess we can kind of take it as a compliment? They can't knock the Red Wings for their playing ability, so they'll just knock down the city they play in instead.

#2 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

And I thought the Free Press writers were bad. It seems to be the thing to do once the hockey season gets underway, the opposing team's sports writer does an article about how bad the crime is in Detroit. Yeah, we get it, the city's got problems. Our hockey team is still going to kick your ass, get over it.

http://www.edmontons...0/16078546.html

I guess we can kind of take it as a compliment? They can't knock the Red Wings for their playing ability, so they'll just knock down the city they play in instead.

Kinda lame to jabs at a city like Detroit, Edmonton has a mall. Thats it.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#3 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:37 AM

Kinda lame to jabs at a city like Detroit, Edmonton has a mall. Thats it.

Hey, we've also got a....freezing cold climate.

I wouldn't worry about the article. The Sun is written at something like a third grade reading level. Most people here (that I know anyways) make fun of anyone who reads it.

#4 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

Yeah that was pretty messed up. But hey, the way I see it, at least the acknowledge who they are playing and are probably scared out of their minds. I mean the way the Wings have been playing as of late, I'm scared for Edmonton.

As a reporter, we'll say anything to get someone to read a piece. So take it with a grain of salt.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#5 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

I just hope no one spams this address: robert.tychkowski@sunmedia.ca

That would be awful.

Edited by crotty99, 11 November 2010 - 10:34 AM.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#6 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'm not really offended by the article. Its just that the whole "big bad crime ridden Detroit" angle is getting a little old. Hey writers, be a little more creative :P

#7 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

It's just your typical WE ARE JEALOUS OF THE DETROIT RED WINGS crap that you hear every year. I just laugh at it.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#8 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:35 AM

I get that he wants to be edgy but he missed the mark completely and just comes off as being classless and insensitive.

#9 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

Detroit is hardcore to live in, aiight?

#10 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Not much to say coming from Edmonton. It is known after all as the Crime Capital of Canada!

Pot... meet Kettle!

#11 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

To anyone dogging Detroit, I'd love for them to watch this:

Detroit Lives | Exploration Detroit

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#12 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

I've never had a problem down there. I just mind my own business and everything is cool. So what's the big deal?
Posted Image

#13 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

I've never had a problem down there. I just mind my own business and everything is cool. So what's the big deal?

Media sensationalism, selective journalism, and lots of 'expert' criticisms from people who've never even been there. People are more likely to believe the 'tale' of the city than the truths behind it. Everyone wants to classify Detroit as a post-apocalyptic town of some sort because it's scary and somehow sexy all at the same time.

Obviously, Detroit has problems, and we all like to joke - but Michigan is like family to me. I live here, I grew up here, I love it here so much that I have a tattoo of the state. Those of us living here can say whatever we want about it but, like family, no one else can. Maybe I'm weird for getting so defensive about it, but I have pride in where I'm from.

The video I posted up there shows some of the young people in Detroit who are doing their part to rejuvenate the city and I think it's great.

#14 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

To anyone dogging Detroit, I'd love for them to watch this:

Detroit Lives | Exploration Detroit

that video series is lame as f***. Seriously. its about a few kids who want to be proclaimed as artists and just try to make detroit out to be some magical city made of rainbows and orange sorbet. its not. Its a big city that was riding high w/ about 2 million people, now it has less than half of that population lost in like 40 years. That said, I love the city of detroit :cool:

#15 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

that video series is lame as f***. Seriously. its about a few kids who want to be proclaimed as artists and just try to make detroit out to be some magical city made of rainbows and orange sorbet. its not. Its a big city that was riding high w/ about 2 million people, now it has less than half of that population lost in like 40 years. That said, I love the city of detroit :cool:

Yeah, f*** people who are doing what they know to try and make an improvement where they live. I hardly get the vibe that they're trying to make Detroit some 'magical city' - they're just trying to do something. Maybe you don't deem what they're doing to be important, and maybe in the grand scheme of things it isn't, but at least they're doing something positive with their time.

#16 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

More people saying how dangerous Detroit is without ever living there or being within 20 miles of its city limits, what else is new...
Yet Chicago has one of if not the highest murder/crime rates per capita in the nation even with a handgun ban, but you never hear about that :rolleyes:

#17 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Media sensationalism, selective journalism, and lots of 'expert' criticisms from people who've never even been there. People are more likely to believe the 'tale' of the city than the truths behind it. Everyone wants to classify Detroit as a post-apocalyptic town of some sort because it's scary and somehow sexy all at the same time.

Obviously, Detroit has problems, and we all like to joke - but Michigan is like family to me. I live here, I grew up here, I love it here so much that I have a tattoo of the state. Those of us living here can say whatever we want about it but, like family, no one else can. Maybe I'm weird for getting so defensive about it, but I have pride in where I'm from.

The video I posted up there shows some of the young people in Detroit who are doing their part to rejuvenate the city and I think it's great.

http://urbantitan.co...-world-in-2010/

Take a look at this list. Number 2 in the world! It don't think it is quite that high, but it is up there in crime and murder rate for sure. It is not selective journalism. It's not some tale. Detroit is a very dangerous city and to say otherwise is denying facts. I love Michigan as much as the next Michigander, but Detroit is an awful place. Maybe not as much in the downtown area by Greektown, Comerica, The Joe, etc., but Detroit is an enormous city with a lot of problems. Obviously once you get 30 minutes outside of Detroit, in the suburbs, It is one of the most beautiful places to live in the entire country.

Edited by cupforwings, 11 November 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#18 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

like edmonton should talk. that city is a s***hole
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#19 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, f*** people who are doing what they know to try and make an improvement where they live. I hardly get the vibe that they're trying to make Detroit some 'magical city' - they're just trying to do something. Maybe you don't deem what they're doing to be important, and maybe in the grand scheme of things it isn't, but at least they're doing something positive with their time.

i make 1 comment about a video series being lame... and you are trying to put words into my mouth. what you just said couldnt be further from the truth about how i view the people in that video

#20 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

http://urbantitan.com/10-most-dangerous-cities-on-the-world-in-2010/

Take a look at this list. Number 2 in the world! It is not selective journalism. It's not some tale. Detroit is a very dangerous city and to say otherwise is denying facts. I love Michigan as much as the next Michigander, but Detroit is an awful place. Maybe not as much in the downtown area by Greektown, Comerica, The Joe, etc., but Detroit is an enormous city with a lot of problems.

Anyone that actuality thinks Detroit is the 2nd most dangerous city in the world needs to be slapped. For all the bad rap Detroit gets you think it would at least have the highest crime rate in its own country. Or even state for that matter.

Edited by Original-Six, 11 November 2010 - 02:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users