• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

The lone comment I saw to the article in that link pretty much sums up my thoughts. I mean, it's pretty unnerving the issues Detroit has but it has nothing to do with hockey which this douchebag is supposed to be writing about. After so many games opponents play in Detroit I haven't heard about any murders of an NHL player. That was an enormous swing of a bat and a miss. Speaking of bats, I'm pretty sure the contents of that writer's brain parallel the hollow emptiness of a wiffleball bat.

#22 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

http://urbantitan.com/10-most-dangerous-cities-on-the-world-in-2010/

Take a look at this list. Number 2 in the world! It don't think it is quite that high, but it is up there in crime and murder rate for sure. It is not selective journalism. It's not some tale. Detroit is a very dangerous city and to say otherwise is denying facts. I love Michigan as much as the next Michigander, but Detroit is an awful place. Maybe not as much in the downtown area by Greektown, Comerica, The Joe, etc., but Detroit is an enormous city with a lot of problems.

It wasn't my intent to imply that there aren't any problems in Detroit. I apologize for over generalizing. Of course it has problems, everyone has heard horror stories and I've had the s*** kicked out of me on Cass Ave before - but to hear the story of Detroit from some news outlets you'd think that it was like Mad Max on the streets.

i make 1 comment about a video series being lame... and you are trying to put words into my mouth. what you just said couldnt be further from the truth about how i view the people in that video

I must've have really misread this part, then: 'its about a few kids who want to be proclaimed as artists and just try to make detroit out to be some magical city made of rainbows and orange sorbet'. I don't really think I took that quote out of context, did I?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#23 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

There's a lot of area's in Detroit that would make Edmonton look trailer park in comparison. I live north of Grand Rapids, but I would relocate to Detroit in a millisecond if my job had an opening for a transfer.

#24 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

More Detroit bashing. Stay classy.

I've never had a problem down there. I just mind my own business and everything is cool. So what's the big deal?

People think its cool to take swipes at the city to make up for their insecurity over their own s***ty hockey team.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#25 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Anyone that actuality thinks Detroit is the 2nd most dangerous city in the world needs to be slapped. For all the bad rap Detroit gets you think it would at least have the highest crime rate in its own country.

I was just going to ask where this website was getting it's numbers from, or more importantly - using as its criteria. A quick search shows websites claiming both Detroit and New Orleans are the 'Most Dangerous City' in America. According to the FBI, however, Detroit isn't even the most dangerous city in Michigan. That honor goes to Saginaw.

#26 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

I must've have really misread this part, then: 'its about a few kids who want to be proclaimed as artists and just try to make detroit out to be some magical city made of rainbows and orange sorbet'. I don't really think I took that quote out of context, did I?

Well, did i say "f*** them?" Or "what they are doing isnt important?" Or "i hate the fact that they are trying to improve where they live?"

If i did, then you should quote that cuz i surely cant find it

Edited by nate94gt, 11 November 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#27 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

hahaha. edmonton. it's like comparing donkey s*** with goat s***.
Posted Image

#28 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

Edmonton:

Posted Image

#29 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

Well, did i say "f*** them?" Or "what they are doing isnt important?" Or "i hate the fact that they are trying to improve where they live?"

If i did, then you should quote that cuz i surely cant find it

I never claimed you hated the fact that they were trying to improve Detroit, and I suggested that you might not deem what they're doing important - because you seemingly wrote them off as 'wannabe artists'. It wasn't a personal attack on you, as I'm sure there are plenty of people who would argue that what these people are doing isn't important in the grand scheme of things. When the city needs so much more than urban farming, restaurants, and an artist culture - it'd be easy to have that stance.

#30 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

I just hope no one spams this address: robert.tychkowski@sunmedia.ca

That would be awful.

Thanks. I felt the least I could do was respond to him. :ph34r:

I've never had a problem down there. I just mind my own business and everything is cool. So what's the big deal?

We're going there in early December for two Wings' games. I can hardly wait. We've had nuthin' but positive vibes and responses every time we've gone back. And that includes walking at night back to our hotel from the People Mover.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#31 Winger19

Winger19

LET'S GO RED WINGS

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

Someone was mentioning Edmonton being the crime capital of Canada, I believe that has honour has been bestowed on Saskatoon. Edmonton in 5th. Edmonton is a great city, as is Detroit. I've felt safe in both places.

The Edmonton Sun is a joke of a paper, it's the Weekly World News of Canadian media. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#32 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Lol at 2nd more dangerous city in the entire world. What a crock of s***. If people would look beyond the troubles in the city, they'd find Detroit has a great variety of food, and is a great sports town, but instead, the average person thinks "murder, gangs, and drugs" the second Detroit is mentioned.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#33 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

*yawn* Another attack on Detroit. You can count on that happening along with the sun rising in the east and the Wings being called old and done.

I don't get into Detroit proper as much as I'd like to, but every time I go there for anything, not just a game, I feel safe. I was just there this afternoon. Look ma, no bullet holes! Are there areas of the city that I wouldn't want to frequent? Of course. Ever heard of the south side of Chicago? You couldn't pay me to go there. Ever heard of Oakland, CA? I'll take Detroit over that as well. Every city has it's less-than-desirable areas - Detroit's is no better and certainly no worse than anyone else's.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#34 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

*yawn* Another attack on Detroit. You can count on that happening along with the sun rising in the east and the Wings being called old and done.

I don't get into Detroit proper as much as I'd like to, but every time I go there for anything, not just a game, I feel safe. I was just there this afternoon. Look ma, no bullet holes! Are there areas of the city that I wouldn't want to frequent? Of course. Ever heard of the south side of Chicago? You couldn't pay me to go there. Ever heard of Oakland, CA? I'll take Detroit over that as well. Every city has it's less-than-desirable areas - Detroit's is no better and certainly no worse than anyone else's.

Exactly. Downtown Detroit is pretty safe, actually. Yeah, others areas:not so much, but people see Detroit as an easy to target for the bashing. Its ridiculous, but its been that way for a while. Cleveland isn't exactly a booming town either, but you only hear about Detroit..

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#35 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Exactly. Downtown Detroit is pretty safe, actually. Yeah, others areas:not so much, but people see Detroit as an easy to target for the bashing. Its ridiculous, but its been that way for a while. Cleveland isn't exactly a booming town either, but you only hear about Detroit..

Probably because Detroit has less than half of the population it was built for.

Probably because to date there are over 48 (?) buildings that are vacant in downtown.

Probably because the city's former politicians helped halt the economy in the city to a standstill (other than the sports teams in the city)

Probably because the city has no money to take care of its vacant/abandoned buildings, so they continue to rot.

Detroit statistically may not be the worst city, but it has some serious issues that are keeping people out. 800,000 people is way too small.

Posted Image

#36 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

Detroit statistically may not be the worst city, but it has some serious issues that are keeping people out. 800,000 people is way too small.

No one is denying the fact Detroit has many economic problems that stem from many different reasons. However, Detroit isn't this mosh pit of death and violence that's its made out to be.

#37 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

Probably because Detroit has less than half of the population it was built for.

Probably because to date there are over 48 (?) buildings that are vacant in downtown.

Probably because the city's former politicians helped halt the economy in the city to a standstill (other than the sports teams in the city)

Probably because the city has no money to take care of its vacant/abandoned buildings, so they continue to rot.

I never said Detroit didn't have its major problems. But other cities have the same problems, for some reason, Detroit only gets mentioned..i can't even imagine how many vacant buildings there are in downtown Chicago, or downtown Los Angeles, or downtown Miami...

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#38 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

I never said Detroit didn't have its major problems. But other cities have the same problems, for some reason, Detroit only gets mentioned..i can't even imagine how many vacant buildings there are in downtown Chicago, or downtown Los Angeles, or downtown Miami...

Uh, none and none. Real estate is in high demand in Chicago and LA in downtown areas.

I like Detroit as a city, but the city has problems. Violence and crime isn't as much of a problem as people make it out to be, especially compared to other cities like Chicago.

I grew up in Chicago, for the record. There are nice areas of downtown, but there are also places where you're pretty sure you're going to get shot/stabbed. I've never felt that in downtown Detroit.

#39 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

edmonton sun is kind of an oxymoron isn't it

#40 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Anyone who seriously thinks downtown Detroit is dangerous hasn't actually been there. Head a few miles out of town and that changes, but this whole "You will get killed in Detroit" thing is just an overused, out-dated joke. One thing I will admit though, is I think the quietness of it just makes some people uneasy and could contribute to the unfair rep.
Rough as guts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users