• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

Babcock's said the line combo will stay the same as we watched against Edmonton. Here's today's practice:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Modano-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Miller (Eaves working in)

Babcock said his top three lines will remain the same for Saturday's home game against Colorado, with the only change possible on the fourth (most likely, Drew Miller will be out and Patrick Eaves back in).

Babcock Calls out Hudler:

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock was pleased with how forward Jiri Hudler played Thursday -- but wondered today why that hasn’t been the case every game.
Hudler set up the first goal in the Wings’ 6-2 rout of Edmonton.

“That’s the best he’s been, so why wouldn’t he be like that every night? That would be the question I would have,” Babcock said. “If you’re that good, why wouldn’t you do it every single day? Why wouldn’t you work that hard every single day, why wouldn’t you compete and be on the puck every single day?

“That would be the questions I asked him already today. I think he thought those were rhetorical questions.”

Hudler hesitated when asked his reaction.

“It was a good game for everybody,” he said. “I don’t know what to say about it otherwise. That’s his … you know.”

Read more: Red Wings' Mike Babcock questions Jiri Hudler's consistency | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com...y#ixzz156HjmnID

#2 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Oh snap

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#3 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

With the way he played I think it seems clear that Hudler is not the type of guy that makes his line mates better, it's the other way around.

#4 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

"I think he thought those were rhetorical questions."

:lol: Babs is great.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#5 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

That’s his … you know.

#6 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hudler only meshes well with other euros
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#7 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

Happy Hudler needs to get more Happy.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#8 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

I love babs but why would he call out Huds when he just had the best game of the season? The guy needs a bit of confidence- not for someone to s*** in his cereal....
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#9 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Because he needs to get called out

#10 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

I love babs but why would he call out Huds when he just had the best game of the season? The guy needs a bit of confidence- not for someone to s*** in his cereal....

I disagree. I don't think Hudler's primary problem is confidence, it's conditioning and work ethics. He's been slow and lazy since he came back. This isn't the KHL, he needs to work hard every shift.

#11 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

It wasn't much of a calling out, really.

Babs said Hudler played the best game he's played all season and then asked, "why isn't he doing that every night?" as in, Hudler is capable of being a good forward, easily able to be on our second line, yet he's barely lived up to playing on the fourth line thus far in the season.

Basically saying that he has confidence in Hudler's ability to perform at that level, but he's just wondering why he doesn't do it every game.

#12 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

I disagree. I don't think Hudler's primary problem is confidence, it's conditioning and work ethics. He's been slow and lazy since he came back. This isn't the KHL, he needs to work hard every shift.

I agree with this 100% instead of lang being his pad mate 4 years ago...it should have been draper:)

#13 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Anyone got stats who the best PKer is Eaves or Miller? I know someone dug out that info last year, how many pp goals they allowed when certain players were on the ice etc

#14 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

He had a good game, but why let him ride that wave? Hudler's been less than stellar all season, but he decides to show up for the 6-2 blowout of last place Edmonton? Big deal.

Let him feel the heat, hopefully it will motivate him to work hard instead of becoming complacent.

#15 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

Eaves has 1 PPGA Miller has 4 PPGA

Eaves has 5 total GA Miller has 9 total GA

Eaves has 9 Blocked shots Miller has 11

Eaves has 4 giveaways Miller has 1

And Eaves has about 3.5mins more of shorthanded play

#16 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

He had a good game, but why let him ride that wave? Hudler's been less than stellar all season, but he decides to show up for the 6-2 blowout of last place Edmonton? Big deal.

Let him feel the heat, hopefully it will motivate him to work hard instead of becoming complacent.

Agreed.

So he looked ok against Edmonton. Edmonton would have gotten their clock cleaned in the KHL last nite. Heck, given that kind of time behind the net, Joanne Hull could have made that pass to Cleary while she was knitting Christmas stockings for The Golden Brett's kids. And frankly, you could have put my wife and I in Red Wing jersey's last nite and we could have held our own against Edmonton. They were tired and they were beaten before they ever stepped onto the ice. Early in the 2nd period my wife said the Oil looked like they didn't want to be out on the ice at all: looked like they'd rather go get a root canal or anything instead of chasing the Red Wings around all nite. (Perfectly exemplified by Dustin Penner lying on the ice physically and emotionally drained after Datsyuk stole his Mojo.)

Lots of other guys on this team contribute to Red Wing's victory in many ways that Hudler cannot; He must produce goals. The Detroit score sheet must say "Happy Hudler was here". Jiri Hudler must provide goals for the Red Wings or he is taking up valuable ice time.

Edited by T.Low, 12 November 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#17 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

Not surprised one bit what Babs said.

#18 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

Agreed.

So he looked ok against Edmonton. Edmonton would have gotten their clock cleaned in the KHL last nite. Heck, given that kind of time behind the net, Joanne Hull could have made that pass

You joke. Most players in the league couldn't have made that pass. You could give most players five minutes untouched behind the net and they wouldn't be able to thread a pass like that through to a forward in scoring position like Flip was.

Hudler is a scoring forward. He has a good shot and is an excellent playmaker. Accept it. Deal with it. He created a ton of chances against Edmonton, including a couple that Franzen, who some on LGW say is the team's top sniper, completely botched.

As for Babcock, he's got motive in calling Hudler out the way he did; he's always got motive. But if you seriously think last night was the first night Hudler has worked hard all season, then you either haven't watched any games yet or you can't tell when a player is working.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#19 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

You joke. Most players in the league couldn't have made that pass. You could give most players five minutes untouched behind the net and they wouldn't be able to thread a pass like that through to a forward in scoring position like Flip was.

Hudler busted his ass last night but c'mon, all alone behind the net and it's really that hard to make that pass? Booools***.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#20 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

[font="Book Antiqua"]

Hudler is a scoring forward. He has a good shot and is an excellent playmaker. Accept it. Deal with it. He created a ton of chances against Edmonton, including a couple that Franzen, who some on LGW say is the team's top sniper, completely botched.

said it all season he needs to shoot more