• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

I love babs but why would he call out Huds when he just had the best game of the season? The guy needs a bit of confidence- not for someone to s*** in his cereal....

It was a confidence thing, it seems. Hudler had a good game and this is Babs' way of saying "look, see how good you are? Now do it again."
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

It wasn't much of a calling out, really.

Babs said Hudler played the best game he's played all season and then asked, "why isn't he doing that every night?" as in, Hudler is capable of being a good forward, easily able to be on our second line, yet he's barely lived up to playing on the fourth line thus far in the season.

Basically saying that he has confidence in Hudler's ability to perform at that level, but he's just wondering why he doesn't do it every game.

Exactly.

It's not like he was saying "you suck." It's more like he knows Hudler is very talented, just calling out his questionable compete level.

#23 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

You joke.
Hudler is a scoring forward.

Yawn.

What makes a scoring forward a scoring forward?

Scoring.

When is a scoring forward not a scoring forward?

When he's not scoring. When he's neck and neck in points with the 3rd pairing Dmen.

#24 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Yawn.

What makes a scoring forward a scoring forward?

Scoring.

When is a scoring forward not a scoring forward?

When he's not scoring. When he's neck and neck in points with the 3rd pairing Dmen.

He's 12 points behind Lidstrom (14 gp), 4 points behind Stuart (14 gp), 1 point behind Kronwall (14 gp), tied with Salei (14 gp), one point ahead of Rafalski (4 gp) and 3 points ahead of Ericsson (6 gp). Hudler himself has played 12 games.

You are grabbing stats and trying to force them into your position. A "scoring forward" is a forward whose job is to create offense and whose abilities and play style lead towards that end. A "defensive forward" is a forward whose abilities and play style lead towards effective defensive play. And a "two-way forward" is a combination of the two, a forward with aspects of both a scoring forward and a defensive forward.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:34 AM

He's 12 points behind Lidstrom (14 gp), 4 points behind Stuart (14 gp), 1 point behind Kronwall (14 gp), tied with Salei (14 gp), one point ahead of Rafalski (4 gp) and 3 points ahead of Ericsson (6 gp). Hudler himself has played 12 games.

You are grabbing stats and trying to force them into your position. A "scoring forward" is a forward whose job is to create offense and whose abilities and play style lead towards that end. A "defensive forward" is a forward whose abilities and play style lead towards effective defensive play. And a "two-way forward" is a combination of the two, a forward with aspects of both a scoring forward and a defensive forward.

Great. so he's outscored one D man just back from injury who's played one-third the number of games and one bottom pairing dman who's played half the games he has. Not very impressive.

He's played 12 games, has 4 assists, and is a -6. His role on the team is pretty much to put up points, as he doesn't have a lot else to offer.

No one needs to grab stats to force them into anything regarding Hudler. Any way you slice it, he has been craptacular so far this season.

#26 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

I have alot of love for Hulder before he lefted for the KHL and still have some left, but he really has to gain some confidence and become the player of a lot potential that he is.

#27 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:30 AM

I agree with all of the above (duh), except of course the statement that is in bold.

My position is just an observation. Unfortunately I'm not joking when I say your scoring forward hasn't yet scored a goal this year.

Edited by T.Low, 13 November 2010 - 01:37 AM.

#28 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:56 AM

You must be a politician in your "off-line" life, I've only heard them say that much without actually saying anything at all. Hudler is paid to score - and he isn't, and hasn't yet this year. He can't hit or defend worth s***, he doesn't kill penalties, and couldn't check my grandmother at the supermarket. Now if you think he's been playing so wonderful, why would Babs bench him, shuffle him around, and call him out in the press? Liking a player is fine, defending them is great, but being oblivious to the facts is just being plain old dumb.
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#29 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Seriously, Miller and Eaves should be in and Hudler should be riding the pine.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#30 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Pot meet kettle. :P