• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:23 AM

caught the uofm/nd game tonight at yost. i was honestly a little dissapointed in sheahan. he didn't really stand out like i expected he would. i mean. he is big. he has good hands. he makes good passes. he's very solid defensively. but he's not a play-maker by any means. and i don't think he even got a shot off the entire game. didn't screw up, at all. but didn't stand out either. he's got a long ways to go for sure. really, really needs to become a better skater to be any kind of a factor for us.

my expectations went from mule to abby.

#2 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:28 AM

Who in the System is going to be close to Dats, Z, or even Mule in point scoring? Probably nobody.

Posted Image

#3 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

Who in the System is going to be close to Dats, Z, or even Mule in point scoring? Probably nobody.

Nyquist?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#4 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:06 AM

Nyquist?

He's great now, but just like major junior, there are a lot of guys who are good at the college level, but prove to be career AHLers/NHL plugs when they get to the pros. He's got quite a bit of road to travel yet.

#5 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:09 AM

Pick 21 was it? He'd want to start doing something.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#6 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:10 AM

Nobody yet it seems. But Datsyuk wasn't particularly a high scorer for the most part before he came over to NA. So who knows?

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:11 AM

Good shot: Teemu, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan
maybe possibilities: Iron Hook, Callahan, Ferraro, HTD, Mursak
Long shots but could be: Nestrasil, Jensen.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

Good shot: Teemu, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan
maybe possibilities: Iron Hook, Callahan, Ferraro, HTD, Mursak
Long shots but could be: Nestrasil, Jensen.

Callahan won't be a major point producer in the NHL, if he makes it. Signs are good, but he's got a long road ahead still.

Ferraro is bombing out offensively again this season, even with a new team. HTD won't ever be in Detroit. Sheahan a good shot to be a 60 point NHL player? On what evidence?

Why include Jensen? He's a defenceman, and if we're talking defenceman, no mention of Smith?

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#9 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

If I edit this comment a little, it'll resembled 100% of the comments on LGW in 2001/02

Who in the System is going to be close to Yzerman, Fedorov or Shanahan in point scoring? Probably nobody.

^^ Yup, that was trend here. Myself included. I learned not to worry and trust everything will work itself out... as long as Ilitch is owner. Trust.the.system.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

Nyquist and Tatar probably stand the best chance of being the next Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

EDIT: I forgot about Mursak, I think he's doing well and might be able to make the transition okay. But honestly, there's no telling who in the system will be a success. It'll probably end up being someone we never talk about.

Edited by VM1138, 13 November 2010 - 06:25 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

So frustrating with these NCAA players, takes years for them to finish and to get a real good look at them... i wonder why nyquist didnt take the smith approach and ditch the last year to go play pro hockey in grand rapids...

Who is HTD?

Edited by mindfly, 13 November 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#12 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

So frustrating with these NCAA players, takes years for them to finish and to get a real good look at them... i wonder why nyquist didnt take the smith approach and ditch the last year to go play pro hockey in grand rapids...

Who is HTD?

hat trick ****...aka **** axelsson

who I honestly believe will make the red wings and be a damn good player

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

Callahan won't be a major point producer in the NHL, if he makes it. Signs are good, but he's got a long road ahead still.

Ferraro is bombing out offensively again this season, even with a new team. HTD won't ever be in Detroit. Sheahan a good shot to be a 60 point NHL player? On what evidence?

Why include Jensen? He's a defenceman, and if we're talking defenceman, no mention of Smith?

Callahan will make the NHL. He has all the skillsets to be a solid 4th/3rd line player at the very least.
Ferraro just needs a change of scenery, he too has all the skills to be a very very good player.
Sheahan, because of all the post game reports that I read about him that continually rave about him and talking to players on his team.
I included Jensen because a good offensive defenseman helps generate good offense. I didn't include Smith because EVERYONE knows he's going to be a stud.
And never say never about HTD (HatTrick-****). Maybe he gets checked in the head and is instilled with some effort and a new attitude :P
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#14 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

Callahan will make the NHL. He has all the skillsets to be a solid 4th/3rd line player at the very least.
Ferraro just needs a change of scenery, he too has all the skills to be a very very good player.
Sheahan, because of all the post game reports that I read about him that continually rave about him and talking to players on his team.
I included Jensen because a good offensive defenseman helps generate good offense. I didn't include Smith because EVERYONE knows he's going to be a stud.
And never say never about HTD (HatTrick-****). Maybe he gets checked in the head and is instilled with some effort and a new attitude :P

A little over-optimistic I think.

Callahan has, from anything I've heard, never been projected to be anything more than an energy player if he actually pans out at all. Suggesting that he could produce like Hank or Dats...not going to happen.

Ferraro just got that change of scenery, did he not?

Jensen is a long shot to be a high-level player, but you never know I guess.

And **** is all but done here.

I'm all for being optimistic, but realism is important too.

#15 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

Who in the System is going to be close to Yzerman, Fedorov or Shanahan in point scoring? Probably nobody.

Well said. At the time it seemed we barely had any prospects at all, let alone good ones. Trading our first round picks all the time, at the time, depleted our system. Also, check our drafts from basically '91-'98, and it won't be any surprise why it was a barren system.

Our prospects now are the best i've ever seen in the Wings organization. Also, with our penchant for developing guys who weren't even pegged to be stars, there are more wild cards than usual. My list looks a bit like this:

Top line potential-
Tater
Nyquist
Jarnkrok

Second line-
Nestrasil
Ferraro
Pulkkinen

Third and under-
Mursak
Sheahan
Emmerton

#16 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

BTW....about HTD...

"He's still young enough yet. He's gotta mature and want to become an NHL player. He's got the skill to do it. If he doesn't want to change his ways, then he won't play." Nill (May 2010).

He's 23 years old has already came over here and left to go back home. If I changed his name to Grigorenko, the stories would be pretty similar. Minus the horrific car wreck. Outlook is bleak to say the least.

#17 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Well said. At the time it seemed we barely had any prospects at all, let alone good ones. Trading our first round picks all the time, at the time, depleted our system. Also, check our drafts from basically '91-'98, and it won't be any surprise why it was a barren system.

Our prospects now are the best i've ever seen in the Wings organization. Also, with our penchant for developing guys who weren't even pegged to be stars, there are more wild cards than usual. My list looks a bit like this:

Top line potential-
Tater
Nyquist
Pulkkinen

Second line-
Nestrasil
Ferraro
Jarnkrok

Third and under-
Mursak
Sheahan
Emmerton

Fixed. Please don't talk about our european prospects without doing homework, Pulkkinen right now is playing in a better league and is tearing it up, if he can stay healthy hes a first line sniper. Hell if it wasn't for a couple of injuries he would have been a top ten pick (a year ago he was talked about as a top 3 pick).
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#18 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

Tatar is going to be a beast, i know it. That cat is only 19
Posted Image

Sig courtesy of TeeMan

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting forwards, then dangles 2 defenceman, and follows it up by doing "the datsyuk" on his victims, then calmly skates back to his bench ,and goes home to his girlfriend back in the motherland.

R.I.P Bob Probert
1965-2010

#19 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Fixed. Please don't talk about our european prospects without doing homework, Pulkkinen right now is playing in a better league and is tearing it up, if he can stay healthy hes a first line sniper. Hell if it wasn't for a couple of injuries he would have been a top ten pick (a year ago he was talked about as a top 3 pick).

I've done my homework.

1. It stands to make sense that Holland & Co took Jarnkrok before Pulkkinen for a reason or reasons that might just include more than Pulkkinen's injury history. He did drop to the fourth round and we took LM Aubry (wth?!?) before him as well.

2. Pulkkinen is built like a man already and Jarnkrok (unless he put on weight over the summer) is listed at 156. 20 bucks says if Jarnkrok had Pulkkinen's build, his current production would be even higher.

3. SM-Liiga vs. Elitserian. I think I'm in the clear by saying that difference is pretty much slim and the Elite league may, depending on who you talk to, be the better league.

4. They are both playing in the highest men's league's in their respective countries. Both stats have rose considerably, while Pulkkinen's are a little better.

At very least, it's closer than you'd like to believe. From reading, it seems that Jarnkrok is the more rounded player, while Pulkkinen is primarily a goal scorer. If Teemu over comes his injury history, isn't held back by his skating ability, and plays defense than he may well be the better prospect. Regardless comaparisons are saying Pulkkinen-Kurri and Jarnkrok-Zetterberg. So either way, we don't have much to worry about.

#20 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

I was reviewing Jarnkrok and Nyquist overseas stats to Nicklas Bäckström and their stats are pretty close. Jarnkrok is a less of a point producer, but put up more goals. Nyquist on the other hand, is a considerably better point producer to Bäckström.

That said, how can i compare stats to different teams in different years. That'd be like comparing Grand Rapids Griffins 2006 team to the 2010 team, wouldn't it? Really hard to compare stats to get a reading on "current' comparisons.

Also, I think Nestrasil is extremely underrated.

Edited by Heaten, 13 November 2010 - 03:37 PM.