• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Saw Sheahan play tonight

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

caught the uofm/nd game tonight at yost. i was honestly a little dissapointed in sheahan. he didn't really stand out like i expected he would. i mean. he is big. he has good hands. he makes good passes. he's very solid defensively. but he's not a play-maker by any means. and i don't think he even got a shot off the entire game. didn't screw up, at all. but didn't stand out either. he's got a long ways to go for sure. really, really needs to become a better skater to be any kind of a factor for us.

my expectations went from mule to abby.

Nyquist?

He's great now, but just like major junior, there are a lot of guys who are good at the college level, but prove to be career AHLers/NHL plugs when they get to the pros. He's got quite a bit of road to travel yet.

Who in the System is going to be close to Dats, Z, or even Mule in point scoring? Probably nobody.

Nobody yet it seems. But Datsyuk wasn't particularly a high scorer for the most part before he came over to NA. So who knows?

Who in the System is going to be close to Dats, Z, or even Mule in point scoring? Probably nobody.

Good shot: Teemu, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan

maybe possibilities: Iron Hook, Callahan, Ferraro, HTD, Mursak

Long shots but could be: Nestrasil, Jensen.

Good shot: Teemu, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan

maybe possibilities: Iron Hook, Callahan, Ferraro, HTD, Mursak

Long shots but could be: Nestrasil, Jensen.

Callahan won't be a major point producer in the NHL, if he makes it. Signs are good, but he's got a long road ahead still.

Ferraro is bombing out offensively again this season, even with a new team. HTD won't ever be in Detroit. Sheahan a good shot to be a 60 point NHL player? On what evidence?

Why include Jensen? He's a defenceman, and if we're talking defenceman, no mention of Smith?

Guest Heaten

If I edit this comment a little, it'll resembled 100% of the comments on LGW in 2001/02

Who in the System is going to be close to Yzerman, Fedorov or Shanahan in point scoring? Probably nobody.

^^ Yup, that was trend here. Myself included. I learned not to worry and trust everything will work itself out... as long as Ilitch is owner. Trust.the.system.

Nyquist and Tatar probably stand the best chance of being the next Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

EDIT: I forgot about Mursak, I think he's doing well and might be able to make the transition okay. But honestly, there's no telling who in the system will be a success. It'll probably end up being someone we never talk about.

Edited by VM1138

Guest mindfly

So frustrating with these NCAA players, takes years for them to finish and to get a real good look at them... i wonder why nyquist didnt take the smith approach and ditch the last year to go play pro hockey in grand rapids...

Who is HTD?

Edited by mindfly

So frustrating with these NCAA players, takes years for them to finish and to get a real good look at them... i wonder why nyquist didnt take the smith approach and ditch the last year to go play pro hockey in grand rapids...

Who is HTD?

hat trick dick...aka dick axelsson

who I honestly believe will make the red wings and be a damn good player

Callahan won't be a major point producer in the NHL, if he makes it. Signs are good, but he's got a long road ahead still.

Ferraro is bombing out offensively again this season, even with a new team. HTD won't ever be in Detroit. Sheahan a good shot to be a 60 point NHL player? On what evidence?

Why include Jensen? He's a defenceman, and if we're talking defenceman, no mention of Smith?

Callahan will make the NHL. He has all the skillsets to be a solid 4th/3rd line player at the very least.

Ferraro just needs a change of scenery, he too has all the skills to be a very very good player.

Sheahan, because of all the post game reports that I read about him that continually rave about him and talking to players on his team.

I included Jensen because a good offensive defenseman helps generate good offense. I didn't include Smith because EVERYONE knows he's going to be a stud.

And never say never about HTD (HatTrick-Dick). Maybe he gets checked in the head and is instilled with some effort and a new attitude :P

Callahan will make the NHL. He has all the skillsets to be a solid 4th/3rd line player at the very least.

Ferraro just needs a change of scenery, he too has all the skills to be a very very good player.

Sheahan, because of all the post game reports that I read about him that continually rave about him and talking to players on his team.

I included Jensen because a good offensive defenseman helps generate good offense. I didn't include Smith because EVERYONE knows he's going to be a stud.

And never say never about HTD (HatTrick-Dick). Maybe he gets checked in the head and is instilled with some effort and a new attitude :P

A little over-optimistic I think.

Callahan has, from anything I've heard, never been projected to be anything more than an energy player if he actually pans out at all. Suggesting that he could produce like Hank or Dats...not going to happen.

Ferraro just got that change of scenery, did he not?

Jensen is a long shot to be a high-level player, but you never know I guess.

And Dick is all but done here.

I'm all for being optimistic, but realism is important too.

Who in the System is going to be close to Yzerman, Fedorov or Shanahan in point scoring? Probably nobody.

Well said. At the time it seemed we barely had any prospects at all, let alone good ones. Trading our first round picks all the time, at the time, depleted our system. Also, check our drafts from basically '91-'98, and it won't be any surprise why it was a barren system.

Our prospects now are the best i've ever seen in the Wings organization. Also, with our penchant for developing guys who weren't even pegged to be stars, there are more wild cards than usual. My list looks a bit like this:

Top line potential-

Tater

Nyquist

Jarnkrok

Second line-

Nestrasil

Ferraro

Pulkkinen

Third and under-

Mursak

Sheahan

Emmerton

BTW....about HTD...

"He's still young enough yet. He's gotta mature and want to become an NHL player. He's got the skill to do it. If he doesn't want to change his ways, then he won't play." — Nill (May 2010).

He's 23 years old has already came over here and left to go back home. If I changed his name to Grigorenko, the stories would be pretty similar. Minus the horrific car wreck. Outlook is bleak to say the least.

Well said. At the time it seemed we barely had any prospects at all, let alone good ones. Trading our first round picks all the time, at the time, depleted our system. Also, check our drafts from basically '91-'98, and it won't be any surprise why it was a barren system.

Our prospects now are the best i've ever seen in the Wings organization. Also, with our penchant for developing guys who weren't even pegged to be stars, there are more wild cards than usual. My list looks a bit like this:

Top line potential-

Tater

Nyquist

Pulkkinen

Second line-

Nestrasil

Ferraro

Jarnkrok

Third and under-

Mursak

Sheahan

Emmerton

Fixed. Please don't talk about our european prospects without doing homework, Pulkkinen right now is playing in a better league and is tearing it up, if he can stay healthy hes a first line sniper. Hell if it wasn't for a couple of injuries he would have been a top ten pick (a year ago he was talked about as a top 3 pick).

Fixed. Please don't talk about our european prospects without doing homework, Pulkkinen right now is playing in a better league and is tearing it up, if he can stay healthy hes a first line sniper. Hell if it wasn't for a couple of injuries he would have been a top ten pick (a year ago he was talked about as a top 3 pick).

I've done my homework.

1. It stands to make sense that Holland & Co took Jarnkrok before Pulkkinen for a reason or reasons that might just include more than Pulkkinen's injury history. He did drop to the fourth round and we took LM Aubry (wth?!?) before him as well.

2. Pulkkinen is built like a man already and Jarnkrok (unless he put on weight over the summer) is listed at 156. 20 bucks says if Jarnkrok had Pulkkinen's build, his current production would be even higher.

3. SM-Liiga vs. Elitserian. I think I'm in the clear by saying that difference is pretty much slim and the Elite league may, depending on who you talk to, be the better league.

4. They are both playing in the highest men's league's in their respective countries. Both stats have rose considerably, while Pulkkinen's are a little better.

At very least, it's closer than you'd like to believe. From reading, it seems that Jarnkrok is the more rounded player, while Pulkkinen is primarily a goal scorer. If Teemu over comes his injury history, isn't held back by his skating ability, and plays defense than he may well be the better prospect. Regardless comaparisons are saying Pulkkinen-Kurri and Jarnkrok-Zetterberg. So either way, we don't have much to worry about.

Guest Heaten

I was reviewing Jarnkrok and Nyquist overseas stats to Nicklas Bäckström and their stats are pretty close. Jarnkrok is a less of a point producer, but put up more goals. Nyquist on the other hand, is a considerably better point producer to Bäckström.

That said, how can i compare stats to different teams in different years. That'd be like comparing Grand Rapids Griffins 2006 team to the 2010 team, wouldn't it? Really hard to compare stats to get a reading on "current' comparisons.

Also, I think Nestrasil is extremely underrated.

Edited by Heaten

At very least, it's closer than you'd like to believe. From reading, it seems that Jarnkrok is the more rounded player, while Pulkkinen is primarily a goal scorer. If Teemu over comes his injury history, isn't held back by his skating ability, and plays defense than he may well be the better prospect. Regardless comaparisons are saying Pulkkinen-Kurri and Jarnkrok-Zetterberg. So either way, we don't have much to worry about.

Uh oh. Hudler vs. Filppula 2.0?

I love how this guy thinks he's the final word on prospect analysis because he frequents hockeysfuture.com.

I've done my homework.

1. It stands to make sense that Holland & Co took Jarnkrok before Pulkkinen for a reason or reasons that might just include more than Pulkkinen's injury history. He did drop to the fourth round and we took LM Aubry (wth?!?) before him as well.

2. Pulkkinen is built like a man already and Jarnkrok (unless he put on weight over the summer) is listed at 156. 20 bucks says if Jarnkrok had Pulkkinen's build, his current production would be even higher.

3. SM-Liiga vs. Elitserian. I think I'm in the clear by saying that difference is pretty much slim and the Elite league may, depending on who you talk to, be the better league.

4. They are both playing in the highest men's league's in their respective countries. Both stats have rose considerably, while Pulkkinen's are a little better.

#1 that Injury history doesn't change where he would end up if he peaks out where he potentially can. If he keeps getting injured he won't be a second liner, he will be looking for a new job. The reason why everyone passed on him until so late was because it was unclear how we would bounce back this season. This was a risk/reward thing, not because of his overall talent. Jarnkrok went higher because hes a less risky pick.

#2 So whats your point? Some players just never put on weight. If Jarnkrok never puts on weight what than? and what if he puts on weight and can't adjust. Theres any old saying 'If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses when they hopped.' Can't live in the world of IFs. And from what I have heard and seen from this season Pulkkinen has improved his skating a lot, and is a lot more defensively responsible. He may not be flying like Helm or a future Sleke winner, but it doesn't seem like his game is 1 dimensional.

#3 From everything I've seen and heard the Finnish league has a bit higher level of competition, not 100% if its true, but it seems to be that way.

#4 Pulkkinen has 17 points in 19 games, Jarnkrok has 10 in 19... those aren't similar. .9 vs .53 points per game is a large difference last time I checked. Its pretty much the difference between Dats and Bert last season.

Uh oh. Hudler vs. Filppula 2.0?

If Hudler was the same size as Flipper (height wise) there wouldn't be a debate there either.

Edited by Shaman464