• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

At very least, it's closer than you'd like to believe. From reading, it seems that Jarnkrok is the more rounded player, while Pulkkinen is primarily a goal scorer. If Teemu over comes his injury history, isn't held back by his skating ability, and plays defense than he may well be the better prospect. Regardless comaparisons are saying Pulkkinen-Kurri and Jarnkrok-Zetterberg. So either way, we don't have much to worry about.

Uh oh. Hudler vs. Filppula 2.0?

#22 Rufio

Rufio

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

Callahan won't be a major point producer in the NHL, if he makes it. Signs are good, but he's got a long road ahead still.

Ferraro is bombing out offensively again this season, even with a new team. HTD won't ever be in Detroit. Sheahan a good shot to be a 60 point NHL player? On what evidence?

Why include Jensen? He's a defenceman, and if we're talking defenceman, no mention of Smith?

I love how this guy thinks he's the final word on prospect analysis because he frequents hockeysfuture.com.

#23 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

HTD is on the injured list for his Swedish team.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#24 Reilly

Reilly

Winning debates all across LGW.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

I never want to hear this board complain about not drafting size ever again.

#25 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

I've done my homework.

1. It stands to make sense that Holland & Co took Jarnkrok before Pulkkinen for a reason or reasons that might just include more than Pulkkinen's injury history. He did drop to the fourth round and we took LM Aubry (wth?!?) before him as well.

2. Pulkkinen is built like a man already and Jarnkrok (unless he put on weight over the summer) is listed at 156. 20 bucks says if Jarnkrok had Pulkkinen's build, his current production would be even higher.

3. SM-Liiga vs. Elitserian. I think I'm in the clear by saying that difference is pretty much slim and the Elite league may, depending on who you talk to, be the better league.

4. They are both playing in the highest men's league's in their respective countries. Both stats have rose considerably, while Pulkkinen's are a little better.

At very least, it's closer than you'd like to believe. From reading, it seems that Jarnkrok is the more rounded player, while Pulkkinen is primarily a goal scorer. If Teemu over comes his injury history, isn't held back by his skating ability, and plays defense than he may well be the better prospect. Regardless comaparisons are saying Pulkkinen-Kurri and Jarnkrok-Zetterberg. So either way, we don't have much to worry about.

#1 that Injury history doesn't change where he would end up if he peaks out where he potentially can. If he keeps getting injured he won't be a second liner, he will be looking for a new job. The reason why everyone passed on him until so late was because it was unclear how we would bounce back this season. This was a risk/reward thing, not because of his overall talent. Jarnkrok went higher because hes a less risky pick.

#2 So whats your point? Some players just never put on weight. If Jarnkrok never puts on weight what than? and what if he puts on weight and can't adjust. Theres any old saying 'If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their asses when they hopped.' Can't live in the world of IFs. And from what I have heard and seen from this season Pulkkinen has improved his skating a lot, and is a lot more defensively responsible. He may not be flying like Helm or a future Sleke winner, but it doesn't seem like his game is 1 dimensional.

#3 From everything I've seen and heard the Finnish league has a bit higher level of competition, not 100% if its true, but it seems to be that way.

#4 Pulkkinen has 17 points in 19 games, Jarnkrok has 10 in 19... those aren't similar. .9 vs .53 points per game is a large difference last time I checked. Its pretty much the difference between Dats and Bert last season.

Uh oh. Hudler vs. Filppula 2.0?

If Hudler was the same size as Flipper (height wise) there wouldn't be a debate there either.

Edited by Shaman464, 13 November 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#26 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

To hell with Notre Dame!
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#27 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:39 AM

Well said. At the time it seemed we barely had any prospects at all, let alone good ones. Trading our first round picks all the time, at the time, depleted our system. Also, check our drafts from basically '91-'98, and it won't be any surprise why it was a barren system.

Our prospects now are the best i've ever seen in the Wings organization. Also, with our penchant for developing guys who weren't even pegged to be stars, there are more wild cards than usual. My list looks a bit like this:

Top line potential-
Tater
Nyquist
Jarnkrok

Second line-
Nestrasil
Ferraro
Pulkkinen

Third and under-
Mursak
Sheahan
Emmerton

How can you put Mursak in the 3rd and under, and put Ferraro in the second line? Bit too early to put Jarnkrok in the 1st isn't it? And Tatar too.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#28 Winther

Winther

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:00 AM

thing I've seen and heard the Finnish league has a bit higher level of competition, not 100% if its true, but it seems to be that way.

Thats not true. Elitserien is regarded as the better league clearly. The best players in sm-liiga on a given year usually ends up in sweden or russia (most likely KHL now though) the next one. That said sm-liiga generally has a faster paced game more fitted to the NA style, while Elitserien is more tactical. About Pulkkinen vs. Järnkrok, i would say you cant really say whose the better prospect right now, they are both playing very good with their respective clubs. I think though that pulkkinen is a more one-dimensional type of player, more of a scorer, currently that is.

#29 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Thats not true. Elitserien is regarded as the better league clearly. The best players in sm-liiga on a given year usually ends up in sweden or russia (most likely KHL now though) the next one. That said sm-liiga generally has a faster paced game more fitted to the NA style, while Elitserien is more tactical. About Pulkkinen vs. Järnkrok, i would say you cant really say whose the better prospect right now, they are both playing very good with their respective clubs. I think though that pulkkinen is a more one-dimensional type of player, more of a scorer, currently that is.

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

I totally read the title wrong and thought for a second it said "Saw Shanahan play tonight." :blush:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman