25 replies to this topic

#1 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

TSN Reports:

Failing a setback, Boston Bruins forward Marc Savard will return to the team's lineup later this month or early in December. Meanwhile, Marco Sturm isn't far behind and hopes to rejoin the Bruins by mid-December at the latest.

Combined, Savard and Sturm represent a $7.5 million cap hit, which would put Boston about $2 million over the $59.4 million cap.

It's still a month but what do you think Boston will do? I do not follow the Bruins close enough to make a good suggestion.

#2 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

Blake Wheeler should be putting his house up for sale.

#3 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

I would probably try and trade savard...he is a great player but he is injury prone.

Having said that, they probably can't get what they are looking for with trading him because his value has gone down

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#4 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

Get rid of Tyler Seguin, he is lazy and sucks. Trade him for picks.

#5 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

Blake Wheeler should be putting his house up for sale.

Leafs need a #1 center don't they? :huh:

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#6 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

They should trade Thomas now that his value is sky high and they have Rask who is more than able to come in and play legit 1st string.
Thomas frees up 5mil... more than enough for Savard.

#7 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

trade wheeler to the leafs for 2 first round picks

#8 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

trade wheeler to the leafs for 2 first round picks

:thumbup:

#9 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Leafs need a #1 center don't they? :huh:

What does that have to do with Wheeler?

#10 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

What does that have to do with Wheeler?

I'm assuming he was pointing out that as a Leafs fan, you should want Savard to be traded instead. If I remember right, there were rumors of Burke going after Savard in the off-season. Otherwise, he just thinks Wheeler is a center, and I made more speculation than Eklund right there.

As people have noted, there are a lot of viable options for the Bruins to trade. I don't follow them really closely, but I tend to check out the forums at Hockey's Future a lot, so I do see players they harp on. Wheeler is usually the center of the discussion when they're talking about a defensive liability or players who have no heart.

Ryder makes sense because his performance has fluctuated up and down by 20 point increments for the past 5 years. Thomas makes sense because he's older, and they have a capable goalie playing back-up right now. Savard makes sense because they have really good depth at center. Wheeler makes sense because of all the knocks on his game.

Edited by Jesusberg, 13 November 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#11 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

They should trade Thomas now that his value is sky high and they have Rask who is more than able to come in and play legit 1st string.
Thomas frees up 5mil... more than enough for Savard.

Problem with that is he has a no-trade clause.

Edited by rage, 13 November 2010 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image

#12 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'm assuming he was pointing out that as a Leafs fan, you should want Savard to be traded instead. If I remember right, there were rumors of Burke going after Savard in the off-season. Otherwise, he just thinks Wheeler is a center, and I made more speculation than Eklund right there.

I want no part of Savard and his long contract. Not with his noggin'.

Savard, Horton, Sturm, Recchi, Chara, Seidenberg & Thomas have NTC's for the Bruins.

Edited by MacK_Attack, 13 November 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#13 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Ahh figures. Maybe it can still be negotiated if its a trade to a warm climate where his family would love to be... who knows.

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

Doesn't stop LGW from offering up Draper, Cleary, Rafalski, Stuart et al because of their NTCs and NMCs :P
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

The question is now: Would you, as the GM, even have the balls to ask Thomas to waive his NTC at this point?

Certainly this summer you thought about moving him because you've got Rask, you don't know how well he's going to play coming back from surgery, it frees up a hell of a lot of cap space, etc.

Granted with the ABSURD numbers he's put up; he's certainly proven his contract worth and his value in a trade situation has gone up considerably...

...but why rock the boat? You've essentially got a 1A/1B goalie situation. You don't have a Price/Halak playing time situation. ...and if it comes to that you know you've got both goaltenders locked up through next year and you make a move when it suits you best.

Boston has a win/win situation in goal. They only need to move Thomas if it suits them. To move Thomas just for a bit of cap space is a bit extreme. They're well better off moving an under-performing or fragile forward. Take your pick.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#16 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Doesn't stop LGW from offering up Draper, Cleary, Rafalski, Stuart et al because of their NTCs and NMCs :P

Stuart's NTC is up, Cleary's is up 30 days before trade deadline next year.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 14 November 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#17 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:35 AM

Stuart's NTC is up, Cleary's is up 30 days before trade deadline next year.

...and it's likely that even with their movement clauses up, neither of those guys are going anywhere.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#18 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,897 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Looks like someone's going to need shoulder surgery.

#19 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Looks like someone's going to need shoulder surgery.

Trade him! Trade him now! :hehe:

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Savard is the most obvious choice, he gives them the most cap relief and has obvious injury concerns... the only downside is, that if he returns to form for his new team, Boston will be the clear losers in the trade, as they're not going to get much for him with the risk...

HIGH Risk/Reward trade there...

Does anyone else think there's a damn good chance Savard ends up in LA?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.