• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dragonballgtz

Bruins in a cap pinch come mid-December

Rate this topic

TSN Reports:

Failing a setback, Boston Bruins forward Marc Savard will return to the team's lineup later this month or early in December. Meanwhile, Marco Sturm isn't far behind and hopes to rejoin the Bruins by mid-December at the latest.

Combined, Savard and Sturm represent a $7.5 million cap hit, which would put Boston about $2 million over the $59.4 million cap.

It's still a month but what do you think Boston will do? I do not follow the Bruins close enough to make a good suggestion.

They should trade Thomas now that his value is sky high and they have Rask who is more than able to come in and play legit 1st string.

Thomas frees up 5mil... more than enough for Savard.

What does that have to do with Wheeler?

I'm assuming he was pointing out that as a Leafs fan, you should want Savard to be traded instead. If I remember right, there were rumors of Burke going after Savard in the off-season. Otherwise, he just thinks Wheeler is a center, and I made more speculation than Eklund right there.

As people have noted, there are a lot of viable options for the Bruins to trade. I don't follow them really closely, but I tend to check out the forums at Hockey's Future a lot, so I do see players they harp on. Wheeler is usually the center of the discussion when they're talking about a defensive liability or players who have no heart.

Ryder makes sense because his performance has fluctuated up and down by 20 point increments for the past 5 years. Thomas makes sense because he's older, and they have a capable goalie playing back-up right now. Savard makes sense because they have really good depth at center. Wheeler makes sense because of all the knocks on his game.

Edited by Jesusberg

They should trade Thomas now that his value is sky high and they have Rask who is more than able to come in and play legit 1st string.

Thomas frees up 5mil... more than enough for Savard.

Problem with that is he has a no-trade clause.

Edited by rage

I'm assuming he was pointing out that as a Leafs fan, you should want Savard to be traded instead. If I remember right, there were rumors of Burke going after Savard in the off-season. Otherwise, he just thinks Wheeler is a center, and I made more speculation than Eklund right there.

I want no part of Savard and his long contract. Not with his noggin'.

Savard, Horton, Sturm, Recchi, Chara, Seidenberg & Thomas have NTC's for the Bruins.

Edited by MacK_Attack

The question is now: Would you, as the GM, even have the balls to ask Thomas to waive his NTC at this point?

Certainly this summer you thought about moving him because you've got Rask, you don't know how well he's going to play coming back from surgery, it frees up a hell of a lot of cap space, etc.

Granted with the ABSURD numbers he's put up; he's certainly proven his contract worth and his value in a trade situation has gone up considerably...

...but why rock the boat? You've essentially got a 1A/1B goalie situation. You don't have a Price/Halak playing time situation. ...and if it comes to that you know you've got both goaltenders locked up through next year and you make a move when it suits you best.

Boston has a win/win situation in goal. They only need to move Thomas if it suits them. To move Thomas just for a bit of cap space is a bit extreme. They're well better off moving an under-performing or fragile forward. Take your pick.

Savard is the most obvious choice, he gives them the most cap relief and has obvious injury concerns... the only downside is, that if he returns to form for his new team, Boston will be the clear losers in the trade, as they're not going to get much for him with the risk...

HIGH Risk/Reward trade there...

Does anyone else think there's a damn good chance Savard ends up in LA?

Guest Hatethedrake!

The Bruins motto is...when in doubt make a trade with the Leafs. Maybe they trade Savard to Toronto for the Leafs first round picks in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

Savard is the most obvious choice, he gives them the most cap relief and has obvious injury concerns... the only downside is, that if he returns to form for his new team, Boston will be the clear losers in the trade, as they're not going to get much for him with the risk...

HIGH Risk/Reward trade there...

Does anyone else think there's a damn good chance Savard ends up in LA?

Savard has no trade value because of his injury history and his no-trade clause.